Best staple diet

Blueberry

Arachnopeon
So are crickets the best staple diet for scorpions? This is what I hear,but what about mealworms and superworms? Can I feed those just as often as crickets or more?

I used to have geckos and due to the fact I hate crickets,they were fed mealies and supers more often then crickets.And what about pinky mice? Are they just a treat or how often can I/should I feed pinkies (if at all)?.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally I think a mixed diet is best. I feed most of the species I keep prekilled superworms, and add now and then live crickets to the mix. I prekill the superworms since I suspect that they are able to eat scorpions (most likely when one is molting).

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Pretty much anything will work, tbh. Scorpions don't have strict nutritional needs.

I prefer roaches (dubia, lateralis, etc) to crickets, simply because breeding crickets is a pain in the ass, with the noise/smell/cannibalism etc, and breeding roaches is so much easier. Some use locusts, but I imagine they'd be similar to crickets.

Only problem with dubias is that they'll try to hide and burrow. Not a problem if you feed with tongs or just remove/twist the legs.

Pinkies aren't a good idea because any little bit that doesn't get eaten will rot and stink/attract mites. Stick to insects.

Blueberry

Arachnopeon
Pretty much anything will work, tbh. Scorpions don't have strict nutritional needs.

I prefer roaches (dubia, lateralis, etc) to crickets, simply because breeding crickets is a pain in the ass, with the noise/smell/cannibalism etc, and breeding roaches is so much easier. Some use locusts, but I imagine they'd be similar to crickets.

Only problem with dubias is that they'll try to hide and burrow. Not a problem if you feed with tongs or just remove/twist the legs.

Pinkies aren't a good idea because any little bit that doesn't get eaten will rot and stink/attract mites. Stick to insects.
Roaches are hard to find here (suppliers I mean),but I suppose if I can find some,I could breed them myself.I did used to breed crickets when I had my geckos and I hate those things for the reasons you meant...the smell/noise and cannibalism.Also if one gets loose and lost in the house,that is annoying as well.But I will keep my eyes open...I used to order feeders from "Canadian Feeders" as well,so I can check and see if they have roaches.

What about waxworms?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Roaches are hard to find here (suppliers I mean),but I suppose if I can find some,I could breed them myself.I did used to breed crickets when I had my geckos and I hate those things for the reasons you meant...the smell/noise and cannibalism.Also if one gets loose and lost in the house,that is annoying as well.But I will keep my eyes open...I used to order feeders from "Canadian Feeders" as well,so I can check and see if they have roaches.

What about waxworms?
I don't think they'll have roaches as they're illegal here in Canada, which explains why you won't really find any suppliers easily. I only have one scorp, but I feed it like my Ts, that is mostly crickets, but I rotate in various other invert feeders occasionally for variety (mealworms, superworms, waxworms, silkworms, etc.).

Blueberry

Arachnopeon
I don't think they'll have roaches as they're illegal here in Canada, which explains why you won't really find any suppliers easily. I only have one scorp, but I feed it like my Ts, that is mostly crickets, but I rotate in various other invert feeders occasionally for variety (mealworms, superworms, waxworms, silkworms, etc.).
Okay thanks.
So waxworms and silkworms are okay then?

I know last year there was a woman in Quebec selling dubias,because there was an ad on my local Kijiji.I was curious to what they were,so I contacted her.But that was a year ago and who knows,she might not even sell them now.I had no idea they were illegal here.But then again millipedes are supposed to be illegal here and stores still sell them (I used to have one too,she was a gift though).

Well I will just feed crickets and the worms then.She had a cricket last night.

Oh and one more question...every source I have looked at says scorpions can go a long time without eating...but they never say how long a "long time" is...not that I want my scorp to starve,I am just curious.

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I just read your other thread aswell.
You have an Pandius Imperator ?

I feed my adults a few crickets a week. Un-eaten items i try to remove after a day or so.

Once every 6mo's or so I'll feed a live pinky mouse.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh and one more question...every source I have looked at says scorpions can go a long time without eating...but they never say how long a "long time" is...not that I want my scorp to starve,I am just curious.
Sometime ago a scorpion was discovered into the cast put around a dinosaur bone. If I recall correctly it had been in it for about a year.

Some of my scorpions get food less than once a month (I feed them quite randomly), and I guess that no food for months is not a problem (as long as there is moisture). I have even the feeling that scorpions live longer when not overfed (and overheated for that matter). I have an adult C. gracilis that I got as an adult Sept 2007. I feed it much less than I fed the C. gracilis I kept in the past, and it's still alive (3+ years as an adult).

edit: I think that most people who keep scorpions (and tarantulas for that matter) are overfeeding them.

saxman146

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Worms are high in fat with what meat they have available other than the exo ( which is a lot of its weight). I also balance between crickets and worms like others here. Crickets are a very balanced food and offer good nutritional properties as well as roaches, as long as they are loaded properly. I usually feed mine a cheeseburger after a molt though to restore the energy they lost during the molt itself.

Blueberry

Arachnopeon
I have not updated in awhile,but thanks for the advice guys.

Mine will only eat crickets. I tried offering her worms,but she will not touch them. So I have only been sticking with the crickets right now.

scorpionguy77

Arachnopeon
I have not updated in awhile,but thanks for the advice guys.

Mine will only eat crickets. I tried offering her worms,but she will not touch them. So I have only been sticking with the crickets right now.
Yeah, my female has to in a serious mood for a superworm to take it. I haven't tried giving them to my male. I usually stick to crickets and the occasional stinkbug since I live outside Pittsburgh and they are a major pest here.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
roaches are only good when you get over two dozen pets who will actually eat them, and even then, it is sometimes just cheaper and easier to get crix.