Best spot for heat mat? pls help

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey all,

So i decided to buy a zoo med repti-therm heat mat today for my Goliath birdeaters tank. My qiestion is what is the most optimal position for the mat? side of tank, back of tank or bottom?

My tank has about 5" of sub-strait so im worried the heat will barley pass through the sub-strait if i put it on the bottom?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Heat mats generally not recommended here, but if you do use one, make sure its side or back heat. Inverts tend to burrow to escape heat, which would be counterproductive if they're being bottom heated. Back heat might not make it into your enclosure if it has a background.

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Petsmart on the self. They grow mold at the area they are placed at and you can't see it because the mat hides it. Best idea is to get a space heater.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it's on the side of the tank won't it be easy for the T to burn itself though. I have a heatmat that is currently not in use, but I used to use it for my gecko. When my gecko passed (r.i.p. Afflack) I took the heat pad out to store it and it was actualy suprisingly hot! I think if a T were to touch it, it could get burned, it was alot hotter than you would think!

VinceC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok im going to put it on the side of the tank, obviously im going to have to keep a close eye on it to ensure its not a danger to my T. ;)

I also forgot to mention, the heat mat is only for the rest of these winter months here in Canada. the summer my room becomes really hot so its of no need to me then :)

thanks all for your reply's, appreciate it :worship:

jondee84

Arachnopeon
My tank has a mesh top and another mesh vent at one side. Will my tank get the required heat if i mount the heat mat on the side?

Stanky

Arachnopeon
I hear NEVER place heat mat on bottom. Watch your cages temp carefully if you use one because using a heat mat can wildly change the temp with other conditions such as unsteady indoor temp. I would search a few sites for the tarantula species you own and find out its perfect temp and humidity.

I personally dont use heat mats. I keep my Ts room at 75+F at day and 70F at night. Which seems to keep there enclosures temps comfortable. Also I keep the rooms humidity at 50% (healthy humidity for human 30-60%) with a warm air humidifier and I work with the cages from there depending on my T. Also I like to keep the room well ventilated by circling in fresh air from time to times to prevent mold and mites.

Might be over kill but I try and keep things as realistic as possible for my Ts.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I use one on the sides of some of my tanks. However, recently for more cost effective measures I just put a heat bulb in my entire T cabinet. It keeps my entire cabinet a nice 80F... Since I put it in there I have had like 5molts in the last 3 weeks.