Best Small Plants for Curly Hair Tarantula Enclosure?

NathanB

Arachnosquire
i have recently set up my new Curly Hair Tarantula Vivarium and i would like to use plants that stay small, have small leaves, and are from south America (Preferably from costa rica where the tarantula is from) any suggestions? but If i cannot get the plant then i will probably just use ficus pumila.
Thanks in advance

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’ve never used real plants. But I can tell you my fake plants have a heck of a time against my T.albo. Dunno what her issue is, but loves to dig them up and move them around.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
IMO, it is very difficult to raise tarantulas in a planted vivarium. It can be done, but the vast majority fail.

The best thing to do is get the viv planted and established and then at some point down the road add a T. I would never put a T in a freshly planted tank. That's just me.

Do what thou wilt.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I’ve never used real plants. But I can tell you my fake plants have a heck of a time against my T.albo. Dunno what her issue is, but loves to dig them up and move them around.
My T. albos are tanks. They like to tear stuff up for sure.

NathanB

Arachnosquire
My T. albos are tanks. They like to tear stuff up for sure.
Thanks for advice as it is my first tarantula, would Java Moss be ok if i cut it up and glue it to a log that is in her enclosure?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Thanks for advice as it is my first tarantula, would Java Moss be ok if i cut it up and glue it to a log that is in her enclosure?
No clue what java moss is. I don’t get super decorative with my enclosures. Just on the few that are more or less display T’s. I’ve used hot glue to attach sphagnum moss to hides, etc..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could do that. I've done that type of thing.
Thanks, just a quick question, did you get good moss growth by doing that and did you have a light on the tank? Thanks 👍
I wasn't looking to grow it out. BUT, some people have here, and they did have a light.

NathanB

Arachnosquire
No clue what java moss is. I don’t get super decorative with my enclosures. Just on the few that are more or less display T’s. I’ve used hot glue to attach sphagnum moss to hides, etc..
Ok, java moss is just a popular moss used in the aquarium hobby that can grow out of water but in humid conditions

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Java moss needs a lot of water and light to grow (there's a reason why it's mostly used in aquariums or dart frog vivariums), and other plants do as well. But those conditions are not actually the ones you want to have with your T. Although T. albo appreciates a bit of moisture in the sub, a swamp isn't good for them.

I would really stick to fake plants for now. It's safer for your T.

NathanB

Arachnosquire
Java moss needs a lot of water and light to grow (there's a reason why it's mostly used in aquariums or dart frog vivariums), and other plants do as well. But those conditions are not actually the ones you want to have with your T. Although T. albo appreciates a bit of moisture in the sub, a swamp isn't good for them.

I would really stick to fake plants for now. It's safer for your T.
Thanks for the advice but there aren't any fake plants in Nature 😀👍

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Perhaps a potted succulent would do ok, be careful with sharp points however...

The best would be a plant-less naturalistic terrarium (leaf litter etc.) for too much risk is generated by a live plant. Any live plants will be bulldozed by the T and make things pointlessly difficult, especially for a new keeper like you.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well then, you can have a naturalistic looking enclosure without any plants, that's also safe for your T. ;)

20200413_143025.jpg

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I see so many pictures of busy and elaborate enclosures (not a problem, if they are proper for the T) but then I think about one of my A. seemanni enclosures for ex.

D60C12EF-63C7-467E-BF66-EF16F2C9BA52.jpeg

Plain and practical.

This is literally as "fancy" as I get with fake plants and whatever else.

8488A7DC-E577-4BD9-950B-5B07A5D217F9.jpeg 51081782-A5AD-4DF9-9EE2-011401F364AE.jpeg 4D2682F6-4ABB-4FBF-8BAB-E203BAE088B8.jpeg

Just umm

Last edited:

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Knowing that tarantulas dont need a ton of space and dont need the extra stuff to live and thrive, I keep the terrestrials pretty simple. They just mess everything up anyway and go underground to spend most of their time. And when its feeding time or they're above ground, I have no obstructions

I put a little more effort into setting up arboreal enclosures but still dont make them super elaborate or busy

Attachments

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I'd love to have a planted viv, but there is a razor thin zone wherein both the T and plants will survive. Too narrow for my skills.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Is it bad that I instantly knew you were also from the UK based on this response alone? (I see the "in the wild" argument far too often in UK FB tarantula groups) :rofl:

Natural =/= better. Parasitic nematodes exist in the wild, I'm not gonna get some and then roll a D6 for each of my tarantulas to see which ones get to get eaten from the inside out.

A lot of plants either need more water than is suitable for the majority of species, or lots of light (which tarantulas hate), throw in the fact that tarantulas have a penchant for either digging them up, ripping them apart, burying them in substrate, or webbing over them (all of which will result in dead plants) and fake plants quickly seem like a much better choice for enclosures.