best roaches for feeders?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what would you guys suggest for the best roaches are for feeders. as my colleciton is growing i'd rather depend more on what i can raise as feeders as opposed to spending money on crickets.

i have tried hissers but they just sit in one spot and the tarantulas won't try to eat them. they just think they're a piece of poop or something.

i've read some people use dubias, is that the best choice or are there others?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use Lobster Roaches myself. I tried the other sp but they just dont reproduce fast enough.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For arboreals, I tend to use climbing roaches such as lobsters (N. cinerea) or giant lobsters (H. flexivatta).

For terrestrials, I use non climbers such as B. dubia and Blaberus hybrids.

If you're going to be breeding, I reccomend picking up some pseudomops septrionalis or Shelfordella lateralis.

Lobsters do just fine for most people...I just switch between colonies to keep numbers up.

I use blaberus hybrids, B. dubia, lobsters and soon, pseudomops septrionalis.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Roaches

Can't agrer more with your post. I just got in 800 spiders and those are the exact roaches I have been using to feed them. Those male dubia make great feeders and the hybrids are good for the monster T's. Lobsters are a little pain because of the climbing and speed but work very well.
James
www.blaberus.com

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope this isn't considered a hijack, i have questions on this subject as well.

I've done a little reading on this and my understanding is that dubia's breed faster than any other commonly kept feeder, is that true? My situation is i currently have 16 t's about equally divided sling/juvie/adult. I'm sure i'll get more but i don't plan on exceeding maybe 30. I have some girls that are gonna get big. L parahybana, a chaco and two nhandu's; all expected to be 7"-8"+ Currently i have no arboreals but that's probably my next venture. If you had to pick one species of roach for this situation would you go with dubia? If not what else would you select and why?

Overbreeding is no really an issue as my sister has gecko's which will eat easily a dozen crickets a week. She gets the overstock.

Thanks in advance

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I hope this isn't considered a hijack, i have questions on this subject as well.

I've done a little reading on this and my understanding is that dubia's breed faster than any other commonly kept feeder, is that true? My situation is i currently have 16 t's about equally divided sling/juvie/adult. I'm sure i'll get more but i don't plan on exceeding maybe 30. I have some girls that are gonna get big. L parahybana, a chaco and two nhandu's; all expected to be 7"-8"+ Currently i have no arboreals but that's probably my next venture. If you had to pick one species of roach for this situation would you go with dubia? If not what else would you select and why?

Overbreeding is no really an issue as my sister has gecko's which will eat easily a dozen crickets a week. She gets the overstock.

Thanks in advance
Blaptica dubia will definitely breed fast enough for your collection. They won't breed nearly as fast as lobsters or shelfordella, but they'll definitely breed fast enough for a small to medium tarantula collection and your geckoes once you get going.

william

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
b.dubia

b.dubia is the ony feeders i have.except the small colline of superworms that has started in the tank some how.i started with 300 mixed.to feed 25 tarantulas and 2 beardies.id say the colline is 500 now.i would get the b.dubias.

james

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

The key is being patient and letting the colony establish. 6-9 months of solid feeding and your colony should be in good shape!!!{D
James
www.blaberus.com

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks folks. I guess i'd better get that colony started... 6-9 months is like an eternity to wait. lol

Since they don't climb, are there ever issues with feeding arboreals? Or do they just not climb glass but will climb branches, etc?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you have a large collection get lobsters. If not get B. dubia. Sorry but for a large collection lobsters keep up.