Best Roach for Scorps.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have heard that Dubias are the best Roach for Scorps and some have told me Lats are the best, so I wanted to hear from other scorp keepers. I want to start breeding them to be independent from trips to the pet store and to save money.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine likes dubia fine. Granted, I've had it maybe a month.
I despise Lats, I'm dealing with escapes right now even though I disposed of my colony a week or two ago.

Dubia burrow, and so do scorpions, whereas Lats don't. I would imagine dubia would be better from that perspective.

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lats would be better, they don't burrow as much. dubia and especially discoids burrow, which for some species of scorpion could be beneficial, but for the sake of cleanliness you would want a roach that your scorpion will kill and eat above ground.

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
b.lateralis are the favorite feeders of them in my opinion.
my scorpions(both rainforest & desert species) love them but they sometimes don't eat dubias. my tityus sp rarely eat dubias.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess I'll try them both, it could be a fun experiment to see which ones they like.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lats are by far better at triggering a feeding response. Some of my buthids wont eat dubia for nothing, probably due to the lack of movement and burrowing behavior.

BeakerTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had a colony of Lats going for a long time. The upside that they have is soft exoskeleton, easier to penetrate, more appealing to most animals. The downside is that they are fast, climb glass/smooth surfaces and they burrow quickly into loose substrate. I fed em to tarantulas and scorpions, but I preferred to feed those to ones in delicups and glass tanks as I worried they would escape the kritter keepers through the ventilation slits. I have also fed them off with forceps before to make sure they didn't escape, but that is my one qualm with Lats: fast and good at escaping/hiding.

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
B. lateralis do not climb glass or smooth surfaces. Lateralis is by far my favourite feeders, but their speed makes the feeding work less effective. It takes more time picking an appropriately sized B. lateralis than i.e. B. dubia. For people with large collections, this factor is quite significant.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey, I'm back! :D

I've raised dubia and craniifer hybrids for my scorps. They co-mingled well in the tank until I moved a few months ago and had to relinquish most of my colony. I only have about 10 female dubia left...I need to order some males lol.

Anyway I've always like the dubia as a feeder even more than the lobster roaches I used to keep. They don't climb (I have no issues with the burrowing), they make very little odor (unlike crickets, yuck), and are semi-soft bodied and are accepted by every species of scorpion from vittatus to paucidens to imps.

Granted the adults are less than ideal for feeding off to most of my scorpions except the imps because of their size...however the smaller nymphs up to sub adults are good to use.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
B. lateralis do not climb glass or smooth surfaces. Lateralis is by far my favourite feeders, but their speed makes the feeding work less effective. It takes more time picking an appropriately sized B. lateralis than i.e. B. dubia. For people with large collections, this factor is quite significant.
Like heck they don't.
I had way too many escapes, and I had a lid on it, it was smooth plastic, and I put vaseline down as well.

psychofox

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I keep mine in open containers (without lids), and I never have any escapes.

If you have escapes even though you use a smooth plastic container with a lid AND vaseline, how on earth are they able to escape from that? It sounds like you've been sloppy with the routines while feeding, and that some specimens may have escaped in that process. If not, your B. lateralis must have some sort of teleportation ability;)

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep mine in open containers (without lids), and I never have any escapes.

If you have escapes even though you use a smooth plastic container with a lid AND vaseline, how on earth are they able to escape from that? It sounds like you've been sloppy with the routines while feeding, and that some specimens may have escaped in that process. If not, your B. lateralis must have some sort of teleportation ability;)
Oh, I've had both types of escapes, I won't pretend I haven't.
But I've been sloppy very few times, and I had escapes before any sloppiness. Really, it was just one incident where I knocked the vial over.:embarrassed: Thankfully, I have glue traps, and two bug-devouring cats.

I'm done with Lats though, at least as long as I have an apartment.
Just dubia from now on.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Currently using B. craniifer's, ranges from nymps almost as small as B. dubia nymps to adults twice as big, seems to breed easily to. Unable to climb anything smooth as well :)