Best reptiles that don't need UV light?

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want to get a new reptile but my mom isn't cool with having the lights on all day because she thinks my cat will knock it over and start a fire.... so.... what all reptiles are out there that can survive with only a UTH heater and no basking UVA/B lights?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snakes do not need UV lighting. I know there'll be know-it-alls with a couple of years experience who'll want to argue that point, but I've kept snakes of many species, successfully, for well over 30 years without UV lighting. I've currently got one, a Bull Snake, who is pushing 18 years of age, and is healthy as can be. I have had Rat Snake live 19 years without auxilliary lighting, at room temperature. When you said "reptile" you didn't specify how many legs, after all, and in my experience, most Colubrid snakes are the easiest reptiles to keep, followed by the nocturnal Geckoes and some the Australian python species.

pitbulllady

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa I never knew colubrids lived that long, being that old they must be huge, well big for the species anyways how big would you estimate that bull to be?

Leopard geckoes are pretty rediculously easy to keep as well. Ive had a trio that died on me due to a strange cause. A 7 year old CB male pueblan milksnake escaped and the exact moment I got home from work, he was swallowing the last bit of gecko #3 lol. Strange it was on mice since birth and seemingly got a taste for lizard;P

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Whoa I never knew colubrids lived that long, being that old they must be huge, well big for the species anyways how big would you estimate that bull to be?

Leopard geckoes are pretty rediculously easy to keep as well. Ive had a trio that died on me due to a strange cause. A 7 year old CB male pueblan milksnake escaped and the exact moment I got home from work, he was swallowing the last bit of gecko #3 lol. Strange it was on mice since birth and seemingly got a taste for lizard;P
I have a queen-sized bed, and he's longer than the bed is, from its head to foot. He can have his head inside the shelves at the head of the bed and his tail touching the floor at the foot. He's a good two feet longer than my adult female Colombian Boa. The Greenish Rat was right at seven feet when he died.

pitbulllady

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Too bad my mom lets me keep dangerous scorpions, but won't let me keep any snakes :mad:.

But what about Chinese tree dragons (Japalura slpendida)? According to care sheets I've read they only need about 5% UV a day because they live in rainforests, where they would be covered by leaves.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Heavy rainforest species could work also but would still need UV. A Reptisun 2.0 or older 5.0 bulb would do. In fact you could get away with using it every other day since the animals can store vit D3(used in some zoos to rotate animals between display and behind the scenes enclosures).

If this person is willing to bring his outdoors frequently for supervised basking it would work.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snakes and nocturnals do not absolutely need UV to survive. However, I've been told by my herp vet that there have been more recent studies that a few hours of low exposure has its benefits in the form of melatonin and vitamin E production. Has anyone else heard of these studies? I've yet to get my hand on the articles.

Back on the main topic: Snakes and nocturnal animals are the easiest, particularly leopard geckos.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Source would be interesting.

To solve that problem occasionally taking your animal out for a supervised outdoor playtime would do. If it is something small an hour or so outdoors in a rubbermaid tub in the early morning hours while being observed...perhaps once every few months?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Source would be interesting.

To solve that problem occasionally taking your animal out for a supervised outdoor playtime would do. If it is something small an hour or so outdoors in a rubbermaid tub in the early morning hours while being observed...perhaps once every few months?
I think my vet was implying daily exposure. Next time I see her though I'm going to see if I could snag that article if she has it still or at least get the source. :D

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. But again even species that need lots of UV light in captivity(baby torts, for example), have been maintained on a every other day UV light schedule, and even being deprived for longer periods during winter etc. I doubt daily exposure is needed.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Interesting. But again even species that need lots of UV light in captivity(baby torts, for example), have been maintained on a every other day UV light schedule, and even being deprived for longer periods during winter etc. I doubt daily exposure is needed.
That's true. Like I said, I wasn't sure on how much exposure.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
garter snakes and water snakes love to bask. whether they need UV to maintain good health is an issue i am no expert on. but like the others said, rat snakes, kings, milks, bulls, etc are good to go w/out UV.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
All torts and turtles etc. Need DAILY exposure to UV light. If not they develop horrendous deformities, really bad nutritional deficiencies, and a large amount of other really bad problems. Trust me I see it every day. You would not believe how twisted a box turtle with no UV light and a poor diet look. They look like they came out of some strange comic book or something.

Also, it should be noted that animals that do not usually need UV light that have one that is too powerful blasting on them end up having eye problems or becoming blind.

Technically a little bit of UV light is good for snakes etc. It has good psychological benefits and it also makes their colors look a bit nicer. That is why zoos do it if you notice. I personally have never used UV light for any of my snakes. They always got handled a lot and I took them outside when it was warm. They did fine...

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Craig:

What say you about hibernating animals? They certainly aren't getting UV light daily.

I rechecked my source and I should actually say that the baby torts(which were kept at a zoo) were rotated more or less daily to a low enclosure equipped with a basking light(this allowed the babies to be displayed in a high topped enclosure). Animals could be placed in such an enclosure for a few hours daily.

So while I agree that turtles and torts need UVB I think saying they need daily exposure is not 100% accurate. The cases you talk of were gross neglect and do not apply here.

I have read of the problems with certain brands of lights using incorrect phosphors and thus outputting huge amounts of harmful UV rays. I'd stick to the tried and true reptisun bulbs or anything else a breeder has had long term success with.

Craig

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I was your age I did not really think UV was that important. And I'm only mentioning this because what you are writing looks like something I would have written at that time. After working with reptiles in a clinical setting for the past almost decade I have a very different opinion. Actually that is what changed my opinion. I really can't stress how important it is.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello Craig,

I agree, you are definetly the more knowledgeable one here especially with your experience. I definetly agree UV is important and should be provided(actually, I think that nothing beats allowing your animals to go outside frequently, or better yet an outdoor enclosure! Esp. for desert or otherwise heliophilic species). However, their are cases of animals generally thought of as needing UV(anolis lizards) doing fine as long as vit D3 was supplemented appropriately.

Heres another interesting article.
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatr...maintain-excellent-health-and-reproduce-with/

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do aquatic turtles need uv lighting also? I have a baby alligator snapper and rediculously tiny musk turtle. I think I might have to go get a bulb for them. Their cage is by a window though.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes you need UV light. Baby turtles are very suspectible to the problems Craig described...please do that ASAP. Your 2 species, luckily, are not as UV dependent as other turtles. Musks/snappers do not bask as much as, say, cooters.

Window light is not appropriate as glass/plastic filters out almost all the UV rays.

I'd reccomend taking them outdoors daily for some time in the sun. Make sure they have a way to escape the light and stay cool.

Also, make sure you are supplementing correctly. If they are getting adequate sunlight exposure calcium without D3 should be used.