Best Psalmopoeus?

Nebs Tarantulas

Arachnosquire
So this should be answered in your opinion and here are the category’s to answer 1. Looks 2. Husbandry 3. Temperament 4. Price and availability

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
The one that I know for sure that I can care good, is the best one. Rest comes afterwards.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
*whispering* all of them <3

But if you're gonna make me choose: 1) Irminia - 2) Pulcher/Cambridgei - 3) Pulcher/Reduncus - 4) Pulcher

My pulcher was my first psalmo, and I love her so much, I got another. Of the four psalmo species I have, they're the only ones who haven't attempted a jail break, and they seem to be calmer than the others. Irminia is just a stunning spider hands down, but mine is a bit reclusive and skittish. My reduncus is also reclusive, and is generally easygoing and slow moving, but if/when he wants to get out, he's a lightning bolt. My cambridgei is psycho no matter what, and I've heard that from others who keep them as well. Where I live, the pulcher is most available and also the cheapest, and that blonde fur is just so understatedly pretty, so that would have to be my pick. But the psalmopoeus genus as a whole is my favorite.

I have a victori on my wishlist next!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Looks- make your own decision
Husbandry- Pretty similar across the board
Temperament- Pretty similar across the board, some species are more visible but they're all pretty fast
Price and availability- cambridgei are usually cheapest, irminia are probably most common. Get a langenbucheri or ecclesiasticus if you want something rare

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
P. cambridgei- you won’t understand how green they really are until they mature.

my favorite is pulcher. Not sure what it is about them but I prefer them to the others.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
But if you're gonna make me choose: 1) Irminia - 2) Pulcher/Cambridgei - 3) Pulcher/Reduncus - 4) Pulcher
You only had pulcher listed three times, you don’t really love them. 😂

I‘ve got seven different species, don’t have langenbucheri, but it is the smallest of the bunch. Pretty much what @Tarantuland said.

Care/husbandry across the board is the same. Temperaments can change, so I’ve decided to throw that out the window. My irminia was a unicorn in that she was sweet, now she’s sour.

Victori is by far the most expensive out of the available Psalms in the hobby. Also one of the most butt ugly slings out of the bunch at 1.5”. I’m apparently know for being mooned by my T’s, so I feel well qualified in this department.

If you’re gonna get one go based on adult size and looks and you can’t go wrong.

P. cambridgei- you won’t understand how green they really are until they mature.

my favorite is pulcher. Not sure what it is about them but I prefer them to the others.
That’s what I’m most excited about, the green. Picked up the cam and pulcher at the same time last year so waiting it out still. Both are showing signs of premolt now, time to rehouse.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Both are showing signs of premolt now, time to rehouse.
I'm slightly derailing here (I'm so sorry Nebs!) but I'm genuinely curious, do your psalmos spend a painfully long amount of time in premolt with those fat shiny bootays? Or is it just mine? I love the fast growth rate, but dang it, they really like to drag out the suspense.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I'm slightly derailing here (I'm so sorry Nebs!) but I'm genuinely curious, do your psalmos spend a painfully long amount of time in premolt with those fat shiny bootays? Or is it just mine? I love the fast growth rate, but dang it, they really like to drag out the suspense.
Yep, the Irminia never gets a shinny butt though, just dulls and takes forever. The cam and pulcher drag their shinny butt phase out for ages, then one day I will look to see a massive growth spurt. I haven’t really paid much attention to the others, they are more unsupervised. 🤪

cold blood

Staff member
For me the cheap cam is the king...it's the biggest, fastest growing (or at least as fast as others) and its green.

I also love me some blonde ts, and pulcher is one of the best-looking blonds out there along with N. tripeppii.

But dang, reduncus is just spectacular....smaller, but just as good of an eater and while they don't spend the time out and about that a cam does, I still see them out hunting regularly.

Yeah, green is the rarest color in the t world, I am always shocked that they dont get more love for their coloration...I am also constantly shocked at all the people that "claim" that they arent green, or green enough...face palming every time over here.

t I'm genuinely curious, do your psalmos spend a painfully long amount of time in premolt with those fat shiny bootays?
Only with adults, slings molt really quickly, juvies are even pretty quick, but as with any adult, molts may only come once a year, and if you feed these garbage disposals a lot (and they are all garbage disposals), they will obviously end up in pre molt for very long periods of time. My recommendation is to slow down on your feeding schedule.

I will say, IME irminia are not only prone to the most reclusive behavior, but also the longest pre-molt bouts i have had to deal with. I have had adults just disappear for a year or more on many occasions.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So this should be answered in your opinion and here are the category’s to answer 1. Looks 2. Husbandry 3. Temperament 4. Price and availability
How many rehouses have you done from slings to sub-adult?

Now how many rehouses have you done with fast, can possibly be highly defensive and a little more potent venom than most NW's?

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, green is the rarest color in the t world, I am always shocked that they dont get more love for their coloration...I am also constantly shocked at all the people that "claim" that they arent green, or green enough...face palming every time over here
Yes, a freshly molted Adult Female always gives me to WOW that is a GREEN tarantula effect.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
Only with adults, slings molt really quickly, juvies are even pretty quick, but as with any adult, molts may only come once a year, and if you feed these garbage disposals a lot (and they are all garbage disposals), they will obviously end up in pre molt for very long periods of time. My recommendation is to slow down on your feeding schedule.

I will say, IME irminia are not only prone to the most reclusive behavior, but also the longest pre-molt bouts i have had to deal with. I have had adults just disappear for a year or more on many occasions.
Great pictures!

Oh joy. Mine are juvies, and they've all shown tendency to be in premolt for weeks. As soon as that butt goes shiny I stop feeding. I thought maybe my pulcher was an exception to "slings molt fast" because she was in premolt for 3-4 weeks, and then I realized it's a psalmo thing, and I noticed pretty fast they all put on weight quickly, so their feeding schedule (I'm using that term loosely) is slower than all the other slings/juvies of other species (most of whom eat weekly) at this point. I'll try slowing it down even more Lol I knew that irminia was going to be a pain, but dang it, even for a sling, it's gorgeous.
How many rehouses have you done from slings to sub-adult?

Now how many rehouses have you done with fast, can possibly be highly defensive and a little more potent venom than most NW's?
YUP! At least pokies eventually try to duck and cover, psalmos just crave violence.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I have subadult/adult irminia, cambridgei, pulcher, and victori females, juvies of reduncus and irminia, and ecclesiasticus sling. FWIW I think people are sleeping on Pseudoclamoris gigas and a lot of Tappie's are really amazing as well. Psalmopeus rule

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
P. cambridgei without a doubt. In my opinion they're everything great about tarantulas in one amazing package. Gets large, beautiful green and orange coloration, active, great display animals, and voracious appetites. My AF is my favorite spider in my collection. IMG_20211002_233922421~2.jpg

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
They all have the same care requirements. They all eat like pigs, can be a little feisty, and are beautiful. The only real choice to be had between them is personal taste in appearance or which one is more visible.

It varies, but both my cambridgei are more visible than my irminia, reduncus, victori, or pulcher. If you get an irminia that isn’t a recluse, the general consensus is you’re going to have a very defensive irminia. From what I read they go one of those two ways in terms of temperament, but I only have one and she’s pretty reclusive. The one I see the least now that I’ve given them all cork tubes instead of flats is my pulcher. I’ve seen that one’s feet like twice in over a year.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I had to pick right now, it'd be victori for the novelty factor. But IMO nothing beats an irminia. I was very fond of mine.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Best overall IMO

P. irminia

P. irminia are the best looking. I really like victori as well.

2. Husbandry
Basically all the same apart from ecclesiasticus which are a little less drought tolerant than the others.

3. Temperament
P. irminia is the calmest of mine, victori are by far the most defensive IME.

4. Price and availability
P. cambridgei, the only good thing about them tbf, they're basically the arboreal equivalent of L. parahybana because they cost next to nothing and are regularly given away as freebies here.