Best Poecilotheria spp.?

Jake J

Arachnochode
Just curious, what's everyone's take on favorite pokies, based on looks, behavior, frequency of staying visible, etc.?

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Interested in the answers here. Only have a trio of regalis slings so far. Personally find them all beautiful.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
regalis. Always out, get large, nice colors, and IMO more voracious eaters than some NW terrestrials.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I do have P. miranda and P. fasciata currently, both females I raised from slings. I did have a P. subfusca "lowland" before that which sadly matured in a male that I sent off for breeding (hence the other Poecies that were sent back to me as slings in return for that MM).

Coloration-wise P. subfusca "lowland" hands down! I just love their contrasts and all of those I saw at friends / breeders including the one I raised were very calm generally (still wouldn't dare handling one of them by choice - but I'd be more confident if one of these would run onto me, than my fasciata in comparison). I like the looks of P. metallica because those colors are gorgeous and something "special", but I consider subfusca way more beautiful overall. Of the couple I keep currently, I think the miranda wins the ball with those great, ghostly looks and the purplish highlights - she is very skittish though and goes to hide if disturbed. While the fasciata is big and those warning legs are really great to look at, the only thing sticking out to me is their nice size stretched out. As for visibility, fasciata is always out, seldomly hides at all apparently.

Last edited:

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think Miranda is the most beautiful pokie, so I'm excited to have two slings of these. So far they're out and about the majority of the time, but the second light hits their enclosures they scurry into hiding. The smaller one used to have a burrow but abandoned it after it's first molt with me.

I've heard theyre great eaters,but I find them to be shy eaters when small. I didnt see my Regalis eat live food until it was 2 inches, and I've had her since 3/4 of an inch. I have to leave the food in my Mirandas enclosures and then leave them in the dark or else they just wont acknowledge it. But I see other peoples sling eating fine so who knows.

They're all beautiful, but the only one on my wishlist now is P.Rufilata. I don't have any interest in getting different species that look similar. (Example Regalis and Striata.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Forgive me for saying this, but I don't know why we have threads asking this. They're all beautiful, they all act more or less the same, most differences being attributable to individual variation more than species. If you want a Poec, get one. There is no bad choice, there is no 'right' choice.

Jake J

Arachnochode
I do have P. miranda and P. fasciata currently, both females I raised from slings. I did have a P. subfusca "lowland" before that which sadly matured in a male that I sent off for breeding (hence the other Poecies that were sent back to me as slings in return for that MM).

Coloration-wise P. subfusca "lowland" hands down! I just love their contrasts and all of those I saw at friends / breeders including the one I raised were very calm generally (still wouldn't dare handling one of them by choice - but I'd be more confident if one of these would run onto me, than my fasciata in comparison). I like the looks of P. metallica because those colors are gorgeous and something "special", but I consider subfusca way more beautiful overall. Of the couple I keep currently, I think the miranda wins the ball with those great, ghostly looks and the purplish highlights - she is very skittish though and goes to hide if disturbed. While the fasciata is big and those warning legs are really great to look at, the only thing sticking out to me is their nice size stretched out. As for visibility, fasciata is always out, seldomly hides at all apparently.
Is there sexual dimorphism in subfusca's coloration, or do they all have the striking yellow? They're gorgeous spiders.

Jake J

Arachnochode
Forgive me for saying this, but I don't know why we have threads asking this. They're all beautiful, they all act more or less the same, most differences being attributable to individual variation more than species. If you want a Poec, get one. There is no bad choice, there is no 'right' choice.
Right, but I was just asking for opinions, not looking for an objective "right" choice. What's wrong with that?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Forgive me for saying this, but I don't know why we have threads asking this.
Mainly to give people who are interested in doing so a chance to talk about their pokies and what they like about them. I really don't think the intent is to decide if a species of pokies are worthy or not.

I like them all. I have 6 different species and I've yet to see one that has colors or a pattern I didn't like. Though all but one of them put up a nice dirt curtain when they were slings. I've went months seeing nothing but feet on several.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Right, but I was just asking for opinions, not looking for an objective "right" choice. What's wrong with that?

My point being, if you want a Poec, get one. They're all very similar. Any difference in someone's being out a lot, or defensive, etc is individual variation; you don't want to go by that.

Look for a good price and buy several of that species to ensure you get a female. Don't buy adult Poecs as they can be someone's burnt-out breeder. Read bite reports so you know what you're getting into. This is the best advice you're going to get in this thread.

I have a lot of Poecs (species, size, sex), my favorite genus. Great spiders. If you like one, you'll like them all.

Jake J

Arachnochode
My point being, if you want a Poec, get one. They're all very similar. Any difference in someone's being out a lot, or defensive, etc is individual variation; you don't want to go by that. Look for a good price and buy several of that species to ensure you get a female. That's the best advice you're going to get in this thread.
That's good advice. Still, I like to get discussions going on people's opinions--both for conversation and because I'm bored at work. I like to hear what people have to say about their favorite species, why they're favorites, etc., and I don't ever base my entire ken of knowledge about a species on one person's comments.

Jake J

Arachnochode
My point being, if you want a Poec, get one. They're all very similar. Any difference in someone's being out a lot, or defensive, etc is individual variation; you don't want to go by that.

Look for a good price and buy several of that species to ensure you get a female. Don't buy adult Poecs as they can be someone's burnt-out breeder. Read bite reports so you know what you're getting into. This is the best advice you're going to get in this thread.

I have a lot of Poecs (species, size, sex), my favorite genus. Great spiders. If you like one, you'll like them all.
I'll admit I could've titled this thread better--should've been "favorite" instead of "best." Not sure if I can edit it anymore.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's only 2 I care to own. I've owned 2 P rufi. I find their colors and the large size great. And P. metallica, who doesn't like seeing blue on an animal. The rarest color in the animal kingdom generally speaking.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Rufilata! Giant camouflage green tree-dwelling jungle arachnokings who double in size at every moult... It's also their body shape, they seem flatter and fatter-footed than regalis. I only keep centipedes now, but if I did get Ts again, that would be top on my list!

Jake J

Arachnochode
Rufilata! Giant camouflage green tree-dwelling jungle arachnokings who double in size at every moult... It's also their body shape, they seem flatter and fatter-footed than regalis. I only keep centipedes now, but if I did get Ts again, that would be top on my list!
I'm considering placing an order from a dealer I had a great recent experience with, but unfortunately he doesn't currently have any rufilatas. I really do like their green color.

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I'm so happy the metallica bandwagon isn't present here. I like them all equally, there is no Pokie which is more beautiful, a better eater, more defensive etc than the others, as Rick stated. They're pretty much the same, only variation being coloration/leg patterns. With that being said, P. miranda has a slight edge though, there is just something about them :)