Best place to buy Hadrurus Arizonensis

smokinyoda

Arachnopeon
I am looking to purchase a Hadrurus arizonensis and was wondering if anyone knew of a dependable/economical source? I am considering Chuck at spiderpharm.com as his juveniles are only $4.95 + $7.60 for Priority Shipping. Is Priority shipping save to use this time of year from AZ to TN? Would this specimen be suitable for a 10 gallon aquarium? I recently aquired a Pseudouroctonus iviei and have been hooked ever since. Just looking for something a little larger.

EDIT
Which would be more active, the h. arizonensis or the v. spinigerus? I see that he has juvenile v. spinigerus for $2.45. Would it be safe to keep 2 of the same species together in a 10 gallon tank?

Last edited:

Rigelus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am considering Chuck at spiderpharm.com as his juveniles are only $4.95 + $7.60 for Priority Shipping
I'm not trying to spoil your parade mate but juvenile H.arizonensis are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity....Even old sweats give up on them!
Better to aquire an adult if you can, especially if you've got limited experience. The minus is you probably won't know how old an adult is.

Which would be more active, the h. arizonensis or the v. spinigerus?
I'd say arizonensis if you've only got one however adult spini's can be kept communal (to a certain extent) so if you had a few of them then they would undoubtedly be the most active.....There's nearly allways one or two spinigeris either on display or wandering about in my own communal setup.

Would it be safe to keep 2 of the same species together in a 10 gallon tank?
Personally i wouldn't keep any scorpions together that were'nt adult.......The danger moment comes when one of them moults......You run the risk of the moulting scorpion becoming a delicious, soft, irresistible morsel of food for the other scorpions in the enclosure.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Always buy an adult H. arizonensis and it probably won't matter that it is an adult more than likely the creature has many more years left in the motor.

And if not, if by chance you bought an geriatric specimen well you didn't drop a small fortune on it and always easily replaceable.

I like to put in a deep tank with deep playsand. Water one side and let dry, usually will have enough consistancy to allow burrowing otherwise this scorpion is going to be like a miniature hurricane struck the cage.

smokinyoda

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. I am starting to lean toward the v. spinigerus as I would like to keep 3 in my 10 gallon tank. Would it be OK to order the "large juvenile or subadult" size v. spinigerus or should I stick with adults only? My wife is not thrilled about my newest interest at all!{D She says I have to many critters already.:?

0.0.1 Pseudouroctonus iviei
0.1 Green Iguana
0.1 Grey Banded Kingsnake
1.0 Red Tail Boa
0.1 Ball Python
0.0.1 Corn Snake
0.1 Leopard Gecko
1.0 Veiled Chameleon
0.1 Cat
1.0 Kid
0.1 Wife

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what do the numbers mean??? I get the amount of the crtter but dont understand the . system??

0.2.1 wtf?

0.1 wife .. LoL :_