Best Pet Store Tarantula??

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What is the biggest, most aggressive T i can get from a pet store? I know, pet stores vary, but they usually have the majority in common right? What's the best t i would likely be able to find there?

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The best T's do not, IME, come from pet shops at all.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it depends. Most big chain stores you wont find more than a G. Rosea or A. Avic. but on occasion they get others in, ive seem some Petco's get H. Lividums.

Then there are actual good pet stores, like there is one on LI, i think called megapets, i forget though. This one has tons of Ts, and they are all in great condition

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
With very few exceptions, pet stores will only deal with wild caught T's. You will then be adopting all the problems asscociated with them: internal parasites, external parasites, poor care, etc. Pony up some extra dough and buy from a reputable breeder.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Then there are actual good pet stores, like there is one on LI, i think called megapets, i forget though. This one has tons of Ts, and they are all in great condition
yeah, Megapets. besides there, i recall seeing a T. blondi in a local store. wasn't there for too long, though.

Spider-Man v2.0

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
at the petco hear thay get a list of what thay can order, and if u ask to see the list thall bring it out and u can ask them to order it for you.
allso at my petco is whear i got my red knee, most of the time thay have pink toes, rose hairs, and some times zebra turatulas.

Snake_Eyes

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've bought...Pterinochilus murinus, Haplopelma lividum, and Heteroscodra maculata all at my LPS(s). But like previously stated pet stores vary. Your best option would be to order online then you can choose just about anything you want.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have to give props to the Petland here in Kamloops, they take better care of their inverts than most chain stores I've been to, (still a few mistakes here & there of course :rolleyes: ), I believe they purchase from captive breeders whenever possible, and they have maintained a pretty decent variety since moving into a larger store. I've picked up a genic, obt, avic, seemani, Haplopelma "Vietnam", C. fasciatum, and P. imps there; they've also got a GBB, B. smithi, and some different scorps. Come to think of it, maybe I'm the reason they keep getting different Ts. :confused: ;)

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a smaller pet store near me and thats where i get most of my T's
it's not one of the big chain stores
they pretty much have anything you want except for the more rare species
they have tiny slings right up to adults
they take really good care of all the pets

also i have lived in the same location for about 20 years and just found out that there is reptile store about 10 mins away from me and they also sell quite a few Ts
most of those ones look WC tho

vtecgsr

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
at the petco hear thay get a list of what thay can order, and if u ask to see the list thall bring it out and u can ask them to order it for you.
allso at my petco is whear i got my red knee, most of the time thay have pink toes, rose hairs, and some times zebra turatulas.
Pink toes? What exactly are those? I noticed there are different tarantula with the name pink toe...

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think if your looking for the biggest/most agressive spider your in this hobby for the wrong reason.why does it have to be all big and bad??:rolleyes:

spider_fan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think if your looking for the biggest/most agressive spider your in this hobby for the wrong reason.why does it have to be all big and bad??
Agreed, if you're keeping a T just because it's "big and viscious," then you're probably doing it to impress people, and don't really respect the animal for the majestic creature it is.

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
well depending on where you live and yes petcos are usually not to bad in terms of care and yes they deal with wild caught ts. sometimes they carry different ts that are CB and some WC. at the petco i work at (hanover MA) we have carried T.blondi(in different sizes) B.vagan CB it was bout 2in Grosea WC A.avic in different sizes H.lividum(adult female) and i think we had a B.smithi at one point o ya and P.irminia CB

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
honestly, i think people judge that reaction a little too much. Many people do get into it for that reason, but there are also some that are willing to do the work required to one of the harder T's like that, and will take great care of it, but still would like a very impressive one at the same time.

Im not saying i know for sure which one you are vtecgsr. But there are people who do get into it for the wrong reason, so just think about that as well.