Best OW

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I started off with a M. balfouri. A bit flighty though, quick on its feet. A good recommendation is anything in the Ceratogyrus genus. Looks very unique with the horn, and the awesome patterns are an added bonus. Doesn't grow slow, is a very decent eater. Can throw a threat pose here and there but that's much better than a bolt. Not as bolty in my experience, but that may be a specimen characteristic. It will create awesome tunnels and burrows for you.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
I started off with a M. balfouri. A bit flighty though, quick on its feet. A good recommendation is anything in the Ceratogyrus genus. Looks very unique with the horn, and the awesome patterns are an added bonus. Doesn't grow slow, is a very decent eater. Can throw a threat pose here and there but that's much better than a bolt. Not as bolty in my experience, but that may be a specimen characteristic. It will create awesome tunnels and burrows for you.
Nice! How many Ts have you had before you got an Old world?
IMO its A. ezendami

wow beautiful

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Nice! How many Ts have you had before you got an Old world?
I think it was 4.
T. albopilosus, G. pulchra, C. versicolor and a N. chromatus.
I've considered myself ready after dealing with a very reactive N. chromatus. I'm talking about common threat poses at the littlest thing, and common bolting bursts. If you feel ready to deal with a potentially reactive and quick spider, then go for it.

Eagle555 Jumping spiders

Arachnosquire
I think it was 4.
T. albopilosus, G. pulchra, C. versicolor and a N. chromatus.
I've considered myself ready after dealing with a very reactive N. chromatus. I'm talking about common threat poses at the littlest thing, and common bolting bursts. If you feel ready to deal with a potentially reactive and quick spider, then go for it.
Thank you for the advice!!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
In my opinion, P. murinus makes an excellent first old world tarantula, though some may disagree with me. Husbandry is very easy, beautiful species, and not nearly as defensive as commonly portrayed when they're in the proper setup.

LordAizenS

Arachnopeon
I'm also from Australia. If any other Australians have the patience for it, I'd recommend Selenotypus sp champagne robustus as the best for a first timer. Slow growing, fairly docile and able to go for lengths without food - but voracious eaters when they do.
All while sporting a beautiful silky sheen and a mixture of rich browns.

Old picture this one. This is when I first got her from someone that was moving and couldn't take her with them. I've updated her living quarters and substrate quite a bit since. More compact (she didn't seem to like a lot of space) and 50% red desert sand. IMG20220401175847.jpg

arthurliuyz

Arachnoknight
Arachnosupporter +
Harpactira pulchripes. The pics were taken when she was in pre-molt, so the colors are a bit dull. IMHO the youngsters a few weeks after hardening looks the best, IME the blue is kind of a watery grey when freshly molted.

Freshly molted:

NaychaBoi

Arachnopeon
I'm also from Australia. If any other Australians have the patience for it, I'd recommend Selenotypus sp champagne robustus as the best for a first timer. Slow growing, fairly docile and able to go for lengths without food - but voracious eaters when they do.
All while sporting a beautiful silky sheen and a mixture of rich browns.

Old picture this one. This is when I first got her from someone that was moving and couldn't take her with them. I've updated her living quarters and substrate quite a bit since. More compact (she didn't seem to like a lot of space) and 50% red desert sand. View attachment 441514
I love the Champagne Robustus as well. My larger one is very recluse and easily disturbed, will rarely ever leave the burrow but is savage when it comes to feeding time.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
My 3rd T was an OBT, about 3 months into keeping. M Balfouri, I mira, H pulchripes, C fimbriatus are all pretty calm and easy to care for in my experience.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In my opinion, P. murinus makes an excellent first old world tarantula, though some may disagree with me. Husbandry is very easy, beautiful species, and not nearly as defensive as commonly portrayed when they're in the proper setup.
...and even if the Pterinochilus acts defensively: after that you really know EVERYTHING there is about OWs on the subject of handling!🤣
But what speaks against it in my opinion is that you know with this species - the Venom has a lot of potency!
A really great and absolutely underrated species is, for example, Cheatopelma!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Idiothele mira IMO. Easy to care for. Like to stay behind their trapdoor. On the smaller side size wise. Stunning colors.