Best Old World's for Beginners

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
@viper69 Sheez, that was really long. Here's the thing: I never said I didn't want a dull-colored T. Both my new world's and all my real spiders are dull-colored so I'd be more interested in something brighter. I could not care less what the color is, though, they are all gorgeous. But if it's your personal opinion that I need to start with one that isn't super cool looking, then that's fine. I understand that I might need more experience before getting one just for looks. I really do appreciate your opinions, that's why I asked. Again, I'm really sorry to waste your time. I literally did not research anything before asking, so I'm going to be missing info.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
@viper69 Sheez, that was really long. Here's the thing: I never said I didn't want a dull-colored T. Both my new world's and all my real spiders are dull-colored so I'd be more interested in something brighter. I could not care less what the color is, though, they are all gorgeous. But if it's your personal opinion that I need to start with one that isn't super cool looking, then that's fine. I understand that I might need more experience before getting one just for looks. I really do appreciate your opinions, that's why I asked. Again, I'm really sorry to waste your time. I literally did not research anything before asking, so I'm going to be missing info.
Bright as in? Is there a specific color that would be your preference? I think viper was simply stating that we can’t tell you unless you get specific. We could give you a dozen species and all of them could easily not fit your criteria for “flashy” or “pretty”, you know? If there’s any specific species or color you have in mind, people can better tell you weather it’s a good one for the less experienced keeper.

edit: it would also be easier to give suggestions if you have a preference for fossorials, terrestrials, or arboreals. It is hard to help when a lot of people have different preferences. For example I think the G. pulchra and the P. irminia are some of the prettiest Ts in the hobby, because I’m fond of the sleek black. You could maybe not like those and think they’re dull.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Bright as in? Is there a specific color that would be your preference? I think viper was simply stating that we can’t tell you unless you get specific. We could give you a dozen species and all of them could easily not fit your criteria for “flashy” or “pretty”, you know? If there’s any specific species or color you have in mind, people can better tell you weather it’s a good one for the less experienced keeper.
I'm not a picky person. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for is the problem here. I want something more colorful than the brown ones that I have. I literally just wanted to see which ones you guys thought would be easier and good looking and I could look into it further from there and choose based off what you guys suggested. I didn't think you needed such specific requirements, I just want to hear your opinions. Everyone has a different idea of what's a pretty spider and what's not, and I don't want to limit your responses because I personally think they are all beautiful. If you want a specific color all you're going to get is this: I would prefer to not have a brown one because I already have brown T's; however, I will take a brown one if you think it's the best starter old world. Happy now? I don't think that's any more specific. I do not care what the color is. Just because I'm partial to non-brown T's doesn't mean I won't take one.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I'm not a picky person. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for is the problem here. I want something more colorful than the brown ones that I have. I literally just wanted to see which ones you guys thought would be easier and good looking and I could look into it further from there and choose based off what you guys suggested. I didn't think you needed such specific requirements, I just want to hear your opinions. Everyone has a different idea of what's a pretty spider and what's not, and I don't want to limit your responses because I personally think they are all beautiful. If you want a specific color all you're going to get is this: I would prefer to not have a brown one because I already have brown T's; however, I will take a brown one if you think it's the best starter old world. Happy now? I don't think that's any more specific. I do not care what the color is. Just because I'm partial to non-brown T's doesn't mean I won't take one.
Theres no reason to be standoffish with me. I was trying to explain what viper was saying in a “nicer” way. I have done absolutely nothing to make you think I was being rude, so please don’t be like that with me.

In that case, I have a couple suggestions for you.
Fossorial/orange- O. philippinus. Can be fast and bolty though. Solid orange and for the color, I’d say more manageable than a P. murinus. These are moisture dependent, so be sure you’re able to provide proper husbandry if you decide on this species!
Fossorial-terrestrial/blue- M. balfouri. White and blue, really stunning contrast in females. Manageable but can be a handful. More visible than a lot of fossorials, as adults at least.
Very unique-I. mira. Exhibits trapdoor behaviors. Not sure about it being a first old world as I don’t have one, but if you have experience I would assume it’s manageable. Has blue feet.
also the C. darlingi or marshalli. They have horns. What’s not to love? They also have some cool markings on their abdomen, but some consider them just brown Ts.
Fossorial/cool pattern- C. fimbriatus. I know a lot of people report feisty Chilobrachys, but mine has been calm personally. They burrow deep and aren’t out much, but have a tiger pattern on their abdomen and sometimes have purple coloration on the legs. As a juvenile, mine has a gold like carapace. Very heavy webbers.
Terrestrial/gold- H. pulchripes. A lot of people say theirs is calmer than some of their more feisty NWs. Mine follows suit with that description as well.They’re pretty visible and very striking in appearance. Even when small, they sport that gold and blue coloration earlier than a lot of Ts.

if you’re not opposed to trying out some more colorful New worlds, I highly recommend the Brachypelma genus. My personal favorites are the B. emilia and B. klassi. Also the Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is gorgeous. Pterinopelma sazimai is one of the most colorful New worlds, but some say they can have attitude. I don’t have one, but I would assume if you’re looking for old worlds that won’t be a problem. My Aphonopelma chalcodes is very sweet and calm, and they’re solid blonde. All of them, even the “beginner/starter” ones can have attitudes, and they’re VERY fast.

I’m sure there’s many more, but I’m trying not to speak on ones too much that I don’t personally own. Good luck in your search, and try to remember that although some people may come off as rude, most are just trying to help. And it’s hard to get tone from text.

Last edited:

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
My first OWs were c. marshalli and a. ezendami. I had no problems with either one of them. Both were adult females when I got them. I had to rehouse the marshalli once early on and it went smoothly.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
@ivyalmighty thanks for all the suggestions, I'll definitely check those out! Also, I'm sorry I snapped at you I was beginning to get annoyed with y'all. Thanks again, though. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you for the clarification! This is helpful!

I can’t define what anything for you is nice looking. You have to decide! :rofl:

However I also suggest the below based on your most recent response

If you have specific questions come back

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
@viper69 I literally did not research anything before asking, so I'm going to be missing info.
I don’t care about wasting time because I don’t have to respond. Nobody does.

No disrespect intended, but this forum is going to work better for you if you research before asking.

I understand wanting a response from a person in real time instead of just reading a thread, but the ones I linked you to ask the same question that you did.

If you refine your question to ask something more specific, you will get answers geared more towards what you want to know.

An OBT sling was my first old world, about 3 months into the hobby. I would not recommend it, but now it’s in an adult enclosure and I haven’t had any major issues so far. I would recommend an H pulchripes like many others have stated.

You kind of asked what would be a good beginner OW, but also asked what are a “flashy” new worlds that might be what you’re looking for as well. Nobody is really going to know what you’re looking for by how your first post was worded.

Multiple people have tried to answer both good beginner OW and more colorful NW. If you have a question that hasn’t been answered yet, please ask.

But ultimately you just have to do your own research and make a decision.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Idiothele mira with its blue feet are awesome and only get to ~4“. They are fossorial, but have a trap door and sit with their feet out of the burrow often. I find the fawn’ish color, at least that’s how I see it, and the pattern all around make it an attractive ow. I adore mine.

Harpactira pulchripes is another good choice IMO. Blue legs and fantastic pattern. This one is terrestrial.

I do have some others. New to T’s myself I would wait on ow arboreals until you get comfortable with ow.

Then others say the horned baboons can be good as well. (C. darlingi/C. marshalli).

Caretaker

Arachnopeon
You want flash and color check out
P. sazimai
C. cyaneopubescens
Along with the above maybe have a look at
Nhandu tripepii ?
or
N. chromatus ?
Phormictopus sp. ?
Phomictopus auratus if you like gold?
the above can be fiesty and fast at times. ymmv.
When you are comfortable feeding ,watering and rehousing these guys
Then check out some of those mentioned above.
just a thought
if you do have a mishap the resulting lesson might not be as long lasting or (painful)
Personaly I wouldn't consider any of these a "beginer" except maybe C. cyaneopubescens
have fun , do your research and have the appropriate enclosure all ready to go before any new additions.
good luck.
for what its worth this is coming from another rookie
below is a pic of one of my C. cyaneopubescens slings about 1 1/2" just starting to get more color, these guys are gorgeous.
cheers

Attachments