Best Old World's for Beginners

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Hi! I've recently been thinking about getting an old world tarantula. I'm very new to owning tarantulas, so I know it's probably not the best idea, but my new world's are all dull-colored, and I kinda want something more flashy. Anyway, I'm curious if there's any species that are alright for a beginner like myself to try out. I haven't looked into it a lot yet, so anything would be great. Also, I never hold my tarantulas or touch them or anything, so I think it would be alright to get an old world. If you think otherwise, please let me know now before I wind up in a huge mess of sorts. Thanks!

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Harpacteria, ceratagyrus, and H.gigas for fossorials.

I've found my phormingochilus sp rufus to be really chill for an Asian arboreals, but honestly everything that isn't stromatopelma, heteroscoda or lampropelma is similar. (First two for their speed and potency, lampropelma for fragility)

There are plenty of flashy new worlds though.

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I started my OW collection with a single M. balfouri. So far its all working out good. So far,it isnt so much different from having an angry NW (N. Chromatus in my case). Just give it respect and be cautious.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but my new world's are all dull-colored, and I kinda want something more flashy.
Kinda..is that like kinda pregnant......This is a HORRIBLE reason to get any OW, or animal for that matter. With that idea, don't bother. Flashy, irmina aren't flashy enough? versicolor are one of the most vibrantly colored Ts in the world, not flashy enough? :banghead: :rolleyes:

if there's any species that are alright for a beginner like myself
There are good beginner OW species, but they are all dull colored, so your're out of luck.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Kinda..is that like kinda pregnant......This is a HORRIBLE reason to get any OW, or animal for that matter. With that idea, don't bother. Flashy, irmina aren't flashy enough? versicolor are one of the most vibrantly colored Ts in the world, not flashy enough? :banghead: :rolleyes:
Lol, that's not the only reason, my friend. I want to expand my experience with tarantulas as well. I'm mainly looking for flashy old world's, though. Versicolor are gorgeous and definitely flashy enough, but when I got my new world's I was looking for easy T's not flashy T's. I really want to try old world's I just had no idea where to start looking. Thanks for the insight, though.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Tbh, I got my first OW pretty soon, a Harpactira pulchripes. Recently, I also got 2 Nhandus and oh boy, I gotta say these 2 Nhandus, despite being NW, are way more skittish/defensive than my H. pulchripes (for now at least).
As long as you're a responsible keeper, educated, always alert and most of all, if you feel ready, go for it. If you have a sliver of doubt, don't do it, if you're asking yourself if you should, you shouldn't probably just yet. But in my short experience, my care is the same for my OW and NW, I treat them the same way, no matter what, never get complacent.

As for your reason of wanting an OW, tbh, to each their own. We all have different reasons and in my opinion, there are no reason more valid than others. I wanted the H. pulchripes because I fell in love with its unique coloration and overall temperament. Is it wrong? Maybe, maybe not. Do I care? No, I'm old enough to make my own decisions. Just be responsible.

(And I'm pretty sure a lot of people here buy specific Ts because they find them pretty, don't lie guys 😏)

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
not sure what your meaning by "flashy"? i got my ows for the attitude i prefer a t thats gonna stand its ground and not run helter skelter in who knows what direction. but they are all differentnever know what your t will be like attitude wise though

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Lol, that's not the only reason, my friend. I want to expand my experience with tarantulas as well. I'm mainly looking for flashy old world's, though. Versicolor are gorgeous and definitely flashy enough, but when I got my new world's I was looking for easy T's not flashy T's. I really want to try old world's I just had no idea where to start looking. Thanks for the insight, though.
Just don't take his rude comments to seriously, he is pretty "cringe" (see what I did there? XD) in almost all his comments. He does have experience though and good info, I'll give him that lol. There are some threads here on arachnoboards that you can probably find about beginner old worlds. Also, The Tarantula Collective has a vid about good beginner OW's

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Next time list compete info! Hah

My answer on OW stands, you’re out of luck

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Ceratogyrus or Harpactira make good OW starter genera. Also H. villosella if you're interested in dwarf tarantulas.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
My first tarantula like 6 years ago was a cobalt blue, that was before I learned what new world and old world was as I was simply a scorpion lover back then, if I were you I’d make sure to get a sling so you can grow with it, but personally, Harpactira pulchripes is a really cool one, it’s pretty ballsy when it reaches over an inch, Poecilotheria are also really cool although others may say their speed is crazier than other old worlds, but anyways those are two I’d recommend that are viewable while also not being overly defensive.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Hi! I've recently been thinking about getting an old world tarantula. I'm very new to owning tarantulas, so I know it's probably not the best idea, but my new world's are all dull-colored, and I kinda want something more flashy. Anyway, I'm curious if there's any species that are alright for a beginner like myself to try out. I haven't looked into it a lot yet, so anything would be great. Also, I never hold my tarantulas or touch them or anything, so I think it would be alright to get an old world. If you think otherwise, please let me know now before I wind up in a huge mess of sorts. Thanks!
I suggest the following
Ceratogyrus spp. with horns- set up fossorial or terrestrial, the latter if you’re partial to web castles
Harpactira pulchripes - can’t go wrong with this
Monocentropus balfouri - among the the most timid OW’s from the specimens I’ve kept. Cool species nonetheless

I suggest getting a smaller spider and grow with it. I think getting down countless rehousings while exercising caution and respecting tarantulas has made me become confident and calm vs. in the beginning.

spidergirlasf

Arachnopeon
Just don't take his rude comments to seriously, he is pretty "cringe" (see what I did there? XD) in almost all his comments. He does have experience though and good info, I'll give him that lol.
He is rude, but I'm definitely not taking it to heart. I find his brutal bluntness very funny actually, but I do agree. He is rude, but wise, lol.

time list compete info! Hah
I was talking about you so I thought it'd be nice to drag you over here. Also, I deeply apologize for the inconvenience and possibly having wasted your time. I haven't looked into this much, but if you like a full page essay, I'd be fully willing to provide.

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
I would also recommend Harpactira pulchripes; they look stunning and not sure if its just my slings but they are 10 times calmer compared to my LP slings.
But this could also mean they are unpredictable where they can bolt at certain times so think twice before getting them!

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
I would also recommend Harpactira pulchripes; they look stunning and not sure if its just my slings but they are 10 times calmer compared to my LP slings.
But this could also mean they are unpredictable where they can bolt at certain times so think twice before getting them!
Mine has actually given me a threat posture twice, ironically there was no warning it’s usually calm and often in the open but rare occasions they don’t want anything disturbing them 😂 definitely an amazing starter ow. Beautiful webs and beautiful colors

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
A. ezendami, E. Pachypus, and I. Mira are all also great easy to manage OW's IMO. First two are rather difficult to find these days though.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
This question is asked often

For more flashy NW with more attitude, check out D Diamantinensis. Gorgeous, good webbers, very fast, no urticating hairs. No old worlds are really great for complete beginners, but it is doable with caution. Australians can only keep species native to Australia, which are all OW and they seem to manage. I wouldn't recommend it for the reasons you mentioned honestly. Check out a P irminia, A Geniculata, N Chromatus, C Cyaneopubescens

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just don't take his rude comments to seriously, he is pretty "cringe" (see what I did there? XD) in almost all his comments. He does have experience though and good info, I'll give him that lol. There are some threads here on arachnoboards that you can probably find about beginner old worlds. Also, The Tarantula Collective has a vid about good beginner OW's
Rude/Cringe- subjective :lol: :bored: :rolleyes:

I’m not here to provide milk/cookies and a bedtime story with my answers. If you want that look elsewhere.

He is rude, but I'm definitely not taking it to heart. I find his brutal bluntness very funny actually, but I do agree. He is rude, but wise, lol.

I was talking about you so I thought it'd be nice to drag you over here. Also, I deeply apologize for the inconvenience and possibly having wasted your time. I haven't looked into this much, but if you like a full page essay, I'd be fully willing to provide.
Rude- subjective :bored::rofl:

Here’s the thing with your first post

1. You provided incomplete information
How is that helpful- it isn’t.

2. You mention you didn't want “dull-colored” OW, you wanted a “flashy” OW.

Those are your words.

Well you provided COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE terminology. That is damn useless!

Why is it useless?

Because no one can read your mind and know what dull nor what flashy is to YOU.

Your question is exactly the same type of I question many of us answered years ago (not that this doesn’t happen frequently- it does)

I remember dropping GBB as a “colorful” T as the person wanted a “bright/colorful” T.

You know what the person said “oh not a GBB, I don’t like orange”

Well then provide complete information of your needs/criteria damn it were my thoughts. Waste of time for all.

Several other people mentioned colorful Ts and not a single one met the OP’s criteria of colorful- because no one is a damn mind reader.

Rather than tell people you want a T using some subjective terminology, it makes more sense for you to take the time and look at pictures of OWs, learn their species name, THEN come back to us and ask if X Y Z is a good beginner OW.

I was prepared to tell you Ceratogyrus is the best OW genus to start with (fact) BUT given your SUBJECTIVE criteria they are not flashy, but dull to most people.

Far too often people come here asking general questions (that require specific answers) yet the answers provided often don’t meet the OPs needs or “approval”.

Is that helpful to anyone? No
Is that efficient? No
Does that typically waste everyone’s time? Yes

So given your basic, subjective terminology my reply is the following:

There are many flashy OW Ts I suggest you take the time to identify what is flashy and come back and ask us if they are good beginner species.

If you want a more specific answer from the beginning please do provide a list of specific criteria - if that requires a page of info from you, so be it. You wouldn’t be the first.

Last edited:

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
My first OW was Chilobrachys fimbriatus. Soon after I got a Monocentropus balfouri, and Harpactira pulchripes. I have a few more but out of the ones I have I’d say those are good ones. There’s not really a “best” one. And I wouldn’t say they’re “beginner” Ts either. But if you have experience with rehousing and maintaining NWs, I’d assume you’d be fine with these. I have a Ceratogyrus marshalli on the way too, as I’ve heard those are great.

The thing about most baboon species, is although they may be “flashy” there’s a good chance you’ll hardly ever see them. I’ve only seen my C fimbriatus feet since I got her. She’s not a baboon but lots of OWs are shy.