Best heating system for winter

crawley07

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I wanted to know what do everyone prefer when it comes to providing temperatures for our nocturnal friends. Is it a heat tape or heat mat or heat lamps? If heat tape is more preferable how do we set it up on tarantula enclosure ? I don't want direct heat on the cage due to safety reasons for the amphibian.

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
If you say amphibian I am not sure if you in the right forum/section. For Ts I just use the heating of my house. Most species are fine at room temp. around 72-75. I don't think that heating your enclosures indiviualy is a good thing for Ts. And if you have a big collection it will cost you quite a bit of money which you don't really have to spent.

cold blood

Staff member
Hello everyone,

I wanted to know what do everyone prefer when it comes to providing temperatures for our nocturnal friends. Is it a heat tape or heat mat or heat lamps? If heat tape is more preferable how do we set it up on tarantula enclosure ? I don't want direct heat on the cage due to safety reasons for the amphibian.
Never use a heat lamp or pad, these are tarantulas, not bearded dragons or snakes....they are flat out dangerous. You are right, direct heat is not an option.

Use a space heater to heat the room!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Never use a heat lamp or pad, these are tarantulas, not bearded dragons or snakes....they are flat out dangerous. You are right, direct heat is not an option.

Use a space heater to heat the room!
CB, I think it was you who brought up using an aquarium water heater to keep slings warm. Do you have a picture of this by any chance? Or more instructions?

cold blood

Staff member
CB, I think it was you who brought up using an aquarium water heater to keep slings warm. Do you have a picture of this by any chance? Or more instructions?
Its really only an option for smaller enclosures or you would need a kiddie pool. But yes, for small collections a heat bath is an effective and cheap option that works great. Because its heated water, the heat is always even and the aquarium heater keeps temps remarkably consistent.

Its as easy as heating a tub, placing a platform within it and another shallow tub or Tupperware also filled with water, and placing the enclosures in that top, stable platform so just the bottoms are under water. I used a thermometer at both stages just for piece of mind.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Its really only an option for smaller enclosures or you would need a kiddie pool. But yes, for small collections a heat bath is an effective and cheap option that works great. Because its heated water, the heat is always even and the aquarium heater keeps temps remarkably consistent.

Its as easy as heating a tub, placing a platform within it and another shallow tub or Tupperware also filled with water, and placing the enclosures in that top, stable platform so just the bottoms are under water. I used a thermometer at both stages just for piece of mind.
Perfect, thank you. I plan on doing this with my slings over the winter. Not that they need it, but I'd like to keep them warmer than what I'm really willing to keep my T room at. Why the two-stage heating, though? A tub of water inside a tub of water.

cold blood

Staff member
Perfect, thank you. I plan on doing this with my slings over the winter. Not that they need it, but I'd like to keep them warmer than what I'm really willing to keep my T room at. Why the two-stage heating, though? A tub of water inside a tub of water.
For stability.

The only thing you need to do is maintain a high enough water level by adding a little water to replace the evap. Its critical that the heater remains submerges. Certainly not rocket science though.

magicmed

Arachnobaron

That's a brilliant idea, you have me thinking of a setup that would be easy to mount to my 65 gallon aquarium. I keep it at 78, if I ever have a sac that would be incredibly useful