best habitat, month to cathch toads in MI

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
best habitat, month to catch toads in MI

ok i don't know if i've been looking to early or in all the wrong places? wheres the best habiat to look for toads?(i used to see these ones that were like 5-6" when i was younger), i'm in Michigan, what would be the best month? any tell tale signs i should look for(will they be burrowed) i've been wandering the woods for the last 3 days no garter snakes, no snakes actualy, (i've been kinda hoping to find a young pine snake)no toads either, but i keep hearing leopard frogs when i get close to them they shut up and i can't find them,lol, help i used to be good at this when i was young!--Jeff

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You might be looking too early. There just starting to become active here in VA and I assume it's a little warmer here. Soon, though, they should start into breeding season. Often, toads will start breeding soon after the leopard and pickrel frogs, but well before the bullfrogs. I'd start looking around swampy areas and ponds at night. There's certan roads around here that run through swampy areas that if you drive down them just after dark there will be toads EVERYWHERE, espesially if it's raining. Later in the year, they'll disperse and move to dryer areas.

Wade

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Best time to find toads is like Wade says, right after a warm spring rain. If its in the low-mid 70s out they should be quite active. :)

Rav