Best First Burrower

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm thinking about getting another T and this time i want a burrower. So what would be the easiest burrower to care for.

Shayna

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemani is said to be a good beginner species, plus it's a burrower so maybe you should check it out.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Aphonopelma seemanni. They aren't as defensive as other species of burrowers like Hapopelma, and they don't stay hidden as long. I can see mine every other day.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aphonopelma seemani is said to be a good beginner species, plus it's a burrower so maybe you should check it out.
I have 2 and never saw a burrow. htey stay in the hides but never burrow.
I would think something like A. hentzi. they are cheap and pretty docile and hardy as all get out.eat anythign you throw at them

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Aphonopelma seemanni. They aren't as defensive as other species of burrowers like Hapopelma, and they don't stay hidden as long. I can see mine every other day.
ok thanks. They are on my want list anyway so it kind of works out. about how much do they cost

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would think something like A. hentzi. they are cheap and pretty docile and hardy as all get out.eat anythign you throw at them
I'm not very good with the latin names yet, what is the common name of A. hentzi

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ok thanks. They are on my want list anyway so it kind of works out. about how much do they cost
You could find an adult female for $15 -$20, but I wouldn't pay anymore then $30.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Full waterdish, slightly moist substrate and deep substrate or a hide, but since you want it to burrow go with deep substrate. Pretty simple.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never owned a A. Seemani that burrowed. They used their hides but that was it just like Drachenjager. I gave them every chane to they just never did. Even started burrows for them. Mine were out in the open and or in the hide.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You all,
A hentzi isnt a deep burrowing tarantula. I know this for a fact as I live in their natural range. They dig shallow scrapes under flat stones in the wild. Now if you want a true burrower that will tunnel like a gopher go with Hystocrates spp. Most dealers and sellers list them as "Hystocrates gigas" on their lists but that may or may not be the true identity. They are in the genus Hystocrates though for sure and believe me they do burrow!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never owned a A. Seemani that burrowed. They used their hides but that was it just like Drachenjager. I gave them every chane to they just never did. Even started burrows for them. Mine were out in the open and or in the hide.
Same here, I never had A seemani burrow either. Not to say one wont but they seem to be more like a B smithi to me in that they seem to like a hide on shallow substrate. But then again what do I know?:rolleyes:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Heck ya A hentzi is a great burrower. They web like crazy to. I like them. You can also get a Citharishius crawshayi sling or a Haplopelma sling. Getting them as a sling lets you get used to their attidude as they grow up. Just dont expect to be handling them {D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here is the type of rock you will find A hentzi under

As you will see here they just make a shallow burrow. They usually will NOT burrow in captivity. I have kept a bunch of them and never did they burrow.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that is shallow. The three I had always burrowed right to the bottem of the KK and picked a corner to set up shop. In one setup where I had wood laying flat for it to burrow under he made multiple entries.
Man I wish I had wild Ts around me. Id be out there all the time. Id forget to go to work.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had Aphonopelma seemanni's that burrowed and then some that haven't. If what they said discouraged you from getting A.seemanni or you would just like a different T, then I would go for the Hystocrates spp. like Brian mentioned. They do deep burrows as well and aren't AS defensive as Hapopelma spp.

Heres proof that A.seemannis actually do burrow, you just have to set it up right I guess?
http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/15B031D4KD0B7KAEC2K14976F79239D090C.html