Best feeders

Tar

Arachnosquire
So what do you think is the best feeder?,I am asking because I don't want crickets anymore because they smell and they're soooo noisy especially at night. So is dubia the better option or the hissers?

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Go for dubia.
They're not loud, they don't smell, they don't keep dying.
Or mealworms, but those dig down if you don't crush their head.

Tar

Arachnosquire
Go for dubia.
They're not loud, they don't smell, they don't keep dying.
Or mealworms, but those dig down if you don't crush their head.
Yeah my friend feed his tarantula a mealworm/superworm and they just dig straight down so probably not going to buy those.

hennibbale

Arachnosquire
Well, if you just crush their head they won't.
Plus you just keep them in the refrigerator and take out every week to put in a carrot or something.

Alana

Arachnopeon
You can buy them in different sizes. If you want to go with cockroaches though then I'd go with dubias. My hissers wake me up in the night with the noise they make. Although dubias will burrow as soon as you put them in so you need to crush their heads first or tong feed. Turkistan roaches are smaller but more active and don't burrow, so they could be a good alternative.

Tar

Arachnosquire
You can buy them in different sizes. If you want to go with cockroaches though then I'd go with dubias. My hissers wake me up in the night with the noise they make. Although dubias will burrow as soon as you put them in so you need to crush their heads first or tong feed. Turkistan roaches are smaller but more active and don't burrow, so they could be a good alternative.
I have heard that Turkistan roaches/lats right? Can infest your house

Alana

Arachnopeon
Probably if you live in a warm climate, but they can't climb glass or smooth plastic so they're quite easy to contain.

Tar

Arachnosquire
Probably if you live in a warm climate, but they can't climb glass or smooth plastic so they're quite easy to contain.
I'll try them too, i'll just ask for a few from my friend.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Lats can easily infest a home - not just warm climates. You're right in that they can't climb glass, but they're a terrible feeder in my opinion simply because of the risk of infestation. On the plus side, they breed faster than dubias. But I'm speaking from experience when I say that it's almost impossible to completely avoid escapes. Every few months I'll find a loose dubia with absolutely no idea how it got out. I always find them dead or dying, though.

Not that you'll be able to feed off your dubias quickly enough. They will certainly breed faster than you can feed them off. They are also wholly unable to infest unless you live in a tropical environment, because they would simply die off. They get to be quite a bit larger than lats as well, with the larger females reaching a couple inches long.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I swear by super worms.
1) Fatty
2) Good protien
3) Cut em in 1/2 for slings to scavange
4) Crush heads if you worry about em burrowing.
5) no maintenance
6) live a long time
7) cheap

Cant go wrong IMO, i really have yet to see a downside to them

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I love dubia.. Feed them whatever,give them plenty of Oranges or water crytals and keep them warm..

Basically free T food with hardly any work..

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
You can pull off the first pair of legs on dubia also. Digging will not be possible anymore but they'll still be pretty active.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
for the best feeder probably dubia, for pure convinence and especially if you have large tarantulas superlworms are super easy to keep and seem to just keep for so long.

Bread

Arachnopeon
I give small (4-5mm) locusts to my slings that have outgrown fruit flies, and dubia's to the rest.

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
B. lats and B. dubia are great feeder options. As far the whole infesting your house thing, don't worry to much. From my experience they do exactly what dubia do if they get loose... dehydrate and die very quickly. I've been keeping and breeding lats for over 5 years and dubia for over 10 in South Carlina and have never had any kind of infestation. In fact my lats require more moisture than my dubia and desiccate much faster.