best enclosure size for blondi?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
I have a 40G, that I've decided I want to use for my RAPIDLY growing blondi female. She's was 5.5 inches before this shed, and looks a lot bigger, so...
Anyways, is a 40G cool for her? Any precautions I need to take? Make the substrate higher? Anything else?
Peace,
Gillian

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
is it a 40 gallon tall or long? either sounds a bit big to me. my blondi is at about 6.5" right now and in premolt. shes currently in a 10 gallon, but im thinking after this molt she'll need something a bit bigger. a 40 gallon long poses the problem of overabundant floorspace. the t may have to search a bit for its food and water. the tall style poses a problem in that it will take a whole lot of dirt to fill it to a safe height. it may be more practical to go to home depot and have them cut you some plexi glass to size and make a sturdy divider. alot of people are against this, but with a 40 gallon tank i think its a good idea. you could even make the one side longer than the other and use the smaller for an aboreal or something. just my opinion.

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 8 inch male is in a 5 gallon. I think they are less nervous in a smaller tank..............just my opinion. It is also easier to keep humid...............

Bob

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
But, isn't putting such a big t in such a small enclosure akin to putting a Bearded Dragon into a ten gallon? They have nowhere to move? I believe its a 40T. What are the measurements for a 40L vs a 40T?
Peace,
Gillian

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When you consider the size of the tarantula's burrow in the wild, I think smaller is better. By nature, tarantulas are not roamers (unless they are males looking for females). They spend a majority of their lives in their burrow or right outside it. Most will wait by the entrance for some prey to come close enough to grab. Even the arborals, once they build a web hide, will not wander.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have several large T. blondis , and I don't usually use an enclosure larger than 24" x 12" ( standard 20G). I have found maintenance and upkeeep to be simpler in smaller( within reason) enclosures. I have used tanks as large as 55G in the past, but not without some problems.

First, it is much easier to monitor and maintain environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity in a smaller space. These factors can be more critical when dealing with T. blondi as opposed to some other species.

There is also an issue of feeding. I have found that when using larger enclosures, that I must resort to offering only prey items of limited mobility, ie. pinkies. IME a T. blondi in a 40G most likely won't find every cricket ( or similarly mobile item) placed in with it.

My last consideration would have to be practicality. I like to be able to easily take down an enclosure, empty any of its disposable contents and start fresh, if the need ever arises. This task would be much more difficult , as well as expensive with a large tank.

Hope this helps,
John