Best DSLR on a budget?

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The time has come for me to obtain a new camera. I made a deal with the parents, if I can obtain $400, they will double it and I can use the money to obtain said camera.

What would be the best DSLR + necessary accesories for $800ish?

Don't have much of a criteria, but I would like one that could take videos as well.....

Edit: Are there any DSLRs within my price range with live preview?

Last edited:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a used t2i, canon. t1i is okay too.
rebel xti is a great starter. no video though.

lenses will be more costly, depending on what you want to do with the camera

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pentax makes a nice, affordable one (don't know the model # off-hand) but then you're stuck with Pentax lenses which can limit your options somewhat if you want to get fancy down the line. I believe Olympus has a decent one too. Both should do the trick just fine.

In the end though, you get what you pay for. Canon and Nikon can be a little more pricey but they really are that good. I feel like Canon is a little ahead of Nikon on the features vs $$ at the moment.

If you can find a higher end model used (that you can trust is good) that will always be your best deal though.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
I'm very pleased with my SONY.

I also can use Minolta lenses, any auto focus ( Maxxim, etc) lenses will work perfectly fine with the camera.

I find the lenses to be less pricey than the other brands.

Another factor to consider, the antishake is part of the camera body in a SONY and not part of each lens like with Canon.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think this answers your specific question but I am partial to Nikon cameras. I have an old Sony (F717, not a DSLR) that takes very good pictures but it is limited in its capabilities. I would love to get a Nikon D90 but at the moment other expenses are taking priority. Canon would be my other choice and I do think you can get some good deals on a decent Canon setup.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a used t2i, canon. t1i is okay too.
rebel xti is a great starter. no video though.

lenses will be more costly, depending on what you want to do with the camera
AGH! So many choices for cameras, but I'm leaning towards the Canons, what with all those options and whatnot. I'll try to find a t2i, and I guess I'll learn more about this camera stuff as I go....

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The time has come for me to obtain a new camera. I made a deal with the parents, if I can obtain $400, they will double it and I can use the money to obtain said camera.

What would be the best DSLR + necessary accesories for $800ish?

Don't have much of a criteria, but I would like one that could take videos as well.....

Edit: Are there any DSLRs within my price range with live preview?
Go on to Ebay, and get a Canon 40D with the 28-135mm IS USM lens. Even if the camera body is used...that is the best camera you can get for the money. Granted, it's a pretty high-end camera, so you will have a steep learning curve. But in terms of capability, go for it if you want to do real photography.

There are lots of auctions like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-40D-K...931059?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item3cb1e9db73

Now, granted it might not be as many megapixels as some others ( although 10.1 is plenty lots), but the QUALITY of the megapixels, in terms of sharpness, and high-ISO noise resistance ( high iso noise is when your images get grainy in low-light), is truly excellent, MUCH better than ANY "Digital Rebel" or Nikon D60/ D90 series camera. Those are "entry-level" DSLRs, whereas the 40D is a "mid-range DSLR," and so is one market level higher...and that means superior image quality, and much more control if you are willing to learn how to use the camera.

Last edited:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was looking at the 40D, and I showed my dad, but I do have a $ limit and he will not buy anything through the internet used. I'll get a beginner level first, and learn how to use a DSLR. Maybe a 40D willbe my second camera in the future. :eek:

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was looking at the 40D, and I showed my dad, but I do have a $ limit and he will not buy anything through the internet used. I'll get a beginner level first, and learn how to use a DSLR. Maybe a 40D willbe my second camera in the future. :eek:
Spend the dough and get a decent one first. If you don't, you will learn the basics and end up upgrading right away! The main rule of thumb... GLASS is the expensive piece! I own a Nikon D90 and love it and I am only really using about 20% of its capability! What I am finding is the Canon bodies are a bit more pricey and the Canon lenses have a tendency to be cheaper and the Nikon bodies are cheaper but the lenses are much more expensive than a canon counterpart.

I can't say Canon versus Nikon is better versus worse, but most people that have shot both agree, they are all pretty similar.

With that being said Warren... keep your eyes on Craigslist. I got my D90 with 150 actuation cycles from a desperate seller with a killer tripod, case, 2 batteries, 16gigs of memory and two lenses for $750.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Spend the dough and get a decent one first. If you don't, you will learn the basics and end up upgrading right away! The main rule of thumb... GLASS is the expensive piece! I own a Nikon D90 and love it and I am only really using about 20% of its capability! What I am finding is the Canon bodies are a bit more pricey and the Canon lenses have a tendency to be cheaper and the Nikon bodies are cheaper but the lenses are much more expensive than a canon counterpart.

I can't say Canon versus Nikon is better versus worse, but most people that have shot both agree, they are all pretty similar.

With that being said Warren... keep your eyes on Craigslist. I got my D90 with 150 actuation cycles from a desperate seller with a killer tripod, case, 2 batteries, 16gigs of memory and two lenses for $750.
Agreed.

I wish I would have gotten a canon, just because of the cheaper lenses.

Nikons cost more in the long run.

If I were to do it again, Id have gotten a 40D with some awesome lenses instead of a D80 with a few "OK" lenses.

I do love my nikon...just hate the price of glass

Also Warren. get the best you can upfront. as you will regret it if you dont.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So now that I have a general idea of what camera to get, I have a new question.

What would be a decent all-around lens?

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You do need a high number of megapixels for big/crisp prints though...
My camera is really decent and can pop out:
# 4x6 - 1.5
# 5x7 - 1.4
# 8x10 - 1.25
# 10x13 - 1.3
# 11x14 - 1.27
# 10x20 - 2
# 16x20 - 1.25
# 20x24 - 1.2

And they are all pretty clear and crisp :) and why in the world would I want to make anything bigger? if I did i'd just rent the camera for that shoot (50-90$) a day, get paid my hrs, and then just charge the extra 90$ if they wanted a big print.
Then I dont need to lose 2000$.. just because ;p

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My camera is really decent and can pop out:
# 4x6 - 1.5
# 5x7 - 1.4
# 8x10 - 1.25
# 10x13 - 1.3
# 11x14 - 1.27
# 10x20 - 2
# 16x20 - 1.25
# 20x24 - 1.2

And they are all pretty clear and crisp :) and why in the world would I want to make anything bigger? if I did i'd just rent the camera for that shoot (50-90$) a day, get paid my hrs, and then just charge the extra 90$ if they wanted a big print.
Then I dont need to lose 2000$.. just because ;p
It's true that a good photographer can take great pictures with a lousy camera. However, with a limited resolution camera (not talking about the save, compressed image size but the camera itself) will limit how large of a print you can print without loosing image quality. To get consistent good quality with decent size prints you need at least at 5 megapixels. In addition, the size of the CCD in the camera will greatly affect the quality of the image. DSLR cameras have larger CCDs than your consumer point and shoot cameras.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wasn't talking about 2mp.. :p

My rebel is 10.2mp and I think the d90 and the newest mkII-III is 25mp..which is alot.... :p

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After just getting into the hobby, I can say that the camera doesn't have as much to do with good photos as you would think.

I'm using a 7 year old, 8 megapixel(misleading number) used canon 300d for 250 dollars.

The only reason I wish I had gotten a more expensive and newer camera, is the ability to film hd videos. Also, newer cameras have bigger sensors, which allows to them to be more light sensitive in darker situations.

here is my flickr to show you what my camera can do, http://www.flickr.com/photos/fifinator/

I'm very happy with it, and it definitely isn't holding me back.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really think the whole "filming with a camera" meant for taking pictures isnt all that great.

I looked at the D90 a lot. just didnt like it.

If being able to record is an issue just get a camera, and a camcorder. camcorders have gone down in price so much, you can get a really nice HD camcorder for under 800 bucks.

For pictures...I would consider glass. get a decent body to learn on. something that is as good as you can afford, but allow you to be able to get some nice glass.

Personally I say go for canon's . as a nikon owner....while cheaper upfront, the glass will eat you alive.