Best display Ts for limited space?

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, so I'm about to get new Ts soon but only have limited space (enough for 3).

I can only fit 3x 20x20x20cm or 20x20x30cm for arboreals. So I can only get small to medium sized T at most.

I was thinking of getting a Theraphosinae sp panama, Dolichothele diamantinensis and something else... 🤔

Any suggestions? What would you personally get if you could only buy 3 new Ts (no pet holes if possible)?
I don't mind the price tag since I won't be able to get a lot of Ts.
I might have overlooked some species because I feel constrained by my enclosures size... :(

Thanks and have a nice day everyone.

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Dolicothele diamantinensis is a superb choice, mine are always out. You can also try Avicularia purpurea or Eucratoscelus pachypus if you’ve got some experience (and if you can find them)

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
For an arboreal, maybe a Tapinauchenius species. Some of them have stunning colors, and they stay pretty small. They grow fast, are great eaters, and are always out. Another cool thing- males and females are both really beautiful.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I can think of:
  1. Dolichothele diamantinensis
  2. Orphnaecus philippinus
  3. Bumba cabocla
  4. Cyriocosmus leetzi
  5. Cyriocosmus elegans

And I believe there was a name change for 3.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
My Bumba horrida (ex cabocla) is usually out but stays behind the hide right at the back of the enclosure. So I don't think of it as a display t in the way I do of my Brachypelma/Grammastola's and Pterinopelma sazimai that are always out and couldn't care less.

D diamantinensis and T sp Panama are beautiful little R's and mine have been on display a lot, though the Panama's do like to burrow at times

Craig73

Arachnoangel
@Smotzer compiled a list of dwarf species that is helpful. My experience (US) they are mainly available as tiny slings, many a fraction size of your pinky nail. As long as you have good husbandry down it’s a cake walk to raise many of them.

If you’re looking at something a little heavier bodied A. bicoloratum or A. moderatum maybe, if you don’t mind slow growing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys, so I'm about to get new Ts soon but only have limited space (enough for 3).

I can only fit 3x 20x20x20cm or 20x20x30cm for arboreals. So I can only get small to medium sized T at most.

I was thinking of getting a Theraphosinae sp panama, Dolichothele diamantinensis and something else... 🤔

Any suggestions? What would you personally get if you could only buy 3 new Ts (no pet holes if possible)?
I don't mind the price tag since I won't be able to get a lot of Ts.
I might have overlooked some species because I feel constrained by my enclosures size... :(

Thanks and have a nice day everyone.
D.d. not the best choice for display, mine weren't always out so your mileage will vary on that species. They are a highly skittish species good luck.

My N. incei were out more than my D.d's

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
@Smotzer compiled a list of dwarf species that is helpful. My experience (US) they are mainly available as tiny slings, many a fraction size of your pinky nail. As long as you have good husbandry down it’s a cake walk to raise many of them.

If you’re looking at something a little heavier bodied A. bicoloratum or A. moderatum maybe, if you don’t mind slow growing.
Ohhh yeah I did do that.....hahaha! I also need to get around to posting it, but I had started compiling some basic care and husbandry notes for those genera on the list. Reminds me I need to finish that and post it lol

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Ohhh yeah I did do that.....hahaha! I also need to get around to posting it, but I had started compiling some basic care and husbandry notes for those genera on the list. Reminds me I need to finish that and post it lol
It’s about as evil and tempting as looking at the classifieds when you know you don’t need more. It’s a really helpful list, who would have thunk there are so many pint sized Ts out there.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
It’s about as evil and tempting as looking at the classifieds when you know you don’t need more. It’s a really helpful list, who would have thunk there are so many pint sized Ts out there.
I know!! And Well I’m glad to know it has helped!! Maybe I’ll work on that care follow up this week! Thanks for the reminder completely forgot I did that!!

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I'll admit, I was tempted to get a few Cyriocosmus as well, and now I kinda want a N. incei... Ugh, choices are tough... :(
And thanks for the dwarf species list, I just saw it, bookmarked it for future reference!

As for slings, I'd like to avoid them if possible, not that I don't trust my husbandry (I'm currently raising a sling with no issue), but more that I'd hope and wait for a female to be available. I know many people recommend getting multiple slings to be sure, but I'd rather pay the extra price for a confirmed female.

Anyone has experience with D. rufoniger? Is it as purple in real life as it is on pictures? How are they compared to the D. diamantinensis in terms of behavior?

For now, out of the 3 species I'll be getting, I'm 80% set on getting a N. incei, still thinking and looking around.

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
N. incei are fantastic, I have two small juvies and absolutely love them. One is quite shy and skittish, but even if it's hidden its webs are beautiful. don't know where in Europe you are located, by I've seen female N. incei for around 16 € available in Poland. The same shop has a female C. elegans for 20 €.

I don't recommend C. elegans. I've had mine since July and seen it only three times, including unpacking and one rehousing. There is often no movement in the enclosure for weeks. Last time it was 7 weeks when it was buried, wasn't eating and there was absolutely no sign it's alive. After 7 weeks I saw change in the tunnels, the entrance was opened, it ate twice and once again sealed the burrow around 3 weeks ago. No signs of life in those 3 weeks. My point is: it's not a display tarantula, quite the opposite.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
N. incei are fantastic, I have two small juvies and absolutely love them. One is quite shy and skittish, but even if it's hidden its webs are beautiful. don't know where in Europe you are located, by I've seen female N. incei for around 16 € available in Poland. The same shop has a female C. elegans for 20 €.

I don't recommend C. elegans. I've had mine since July and seen it only three times, including unpacking and one rehousing. There is often no movement in the enclosure for weeks. Last time it was 7 weeks when it was buried, wasn't eating and there was absolutely no sign it's alive. After 7 weeks I saw change in the tunnels, the entrance was opened, it ate twice and once again sealed the burrow around 3 weeks ago. No signs of life in those 3 weeks. My point is: it's not a display tarantula, quite the opposite.
Thanks for the heads-up about the C. elegans! I was just thinking about it a while ago haha.

As for N. incei, I've been looking at the two color forms, olive and gold. At first I was thinking gold would be more striking/beautiful, but now I'm having second thougts after seeing a few videos... The stronger contrast on the olive form seems more appealing, but I'm not sure how they're like IRL?

Anyone own both? Which do you prefer?

Rozwyrazowana

Arachnopeon
As for N. incei, I've been looking at the two color forms, olive and gold. At first I was thinking gold would be more striking/beautiful, but now I'm having second thougts after seeing a few videos... The stronger contrast on the olive form seems more appealing, but I'm not sure how they're like IRL?

Anyone own both? Which do you prefer?
I have only the olive form, and they are the most beautiful Ts I own. Gold on brown on their carapace is hypnotizing, especially just after a molt.

IMG_5077 (1).jpg IMG_5194.jpg

Hi
I have both colour forms of N incei.
AF classic that I have not seen since I received her 7 months ago and a large juvenile gold that I have seen 3 times since I got her too.

Davus pentaloris and Hapalopus sp Colombia that I own are much more visible with the D pentaloris being out almost all of the time
Regards Konstantin

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I think the Olive- formal form is far more attractive, the carapace and the striping on abdomen are gorgeous.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I agree the olive is more visually appealing IMO.

Note the incei lifespan for males is pretty short; I’ve read 2 years for males and up to 7 years for females. They’re relatively inexpensive and awesome. You haven’t seen fast until you have had one of these bad boys. My slings are about .5” and out quite a bit. Touch the enclosure and they literally dive into their retreat. Great webers and eaters. Will not disappoint for sure.

Xharyel

Arachnopeon
I see, thanks for the answers guys! I'll probably wait for a dealer to have all the species I'm interested in and buy those 3 Ts at the same time. NGL, @Konstantin Konstantinov the Davus Pentaloris has been tempting me a lot, but since I can only have a limited number of Ts, I'm trying to get different colors. So it'll either be the D. pentaloris or the T. sp panama. I'll see!