Best display blue tarantula?

JamesJ

Arachnopeon
Blue tarantulas are arguably one the most beautiful tarantulas in the world. When I have one, I would like to see them. I don't like shy tarantulas. Out of these species which one would be considered best display species in order?
Gooty Sapphire
GBB
Cobalt Blue
Blue Baboon
Brazilian Blue
Signipore Blue

Last edited:

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I have two on that list, GBB and Brazilian Blue.
The GBB is always out, the Brazilian is always in its burrow.
Out of interest which Brazilian Blue are you referring to? Pterinopelma sazimai or Dolicothele diamentinensis? Both are called Brazilian Blue.

JamesJ

Arachnopeon
So far it seems GBB is top.
I was referring to P. sazimai. I call D. diamentinensis a dwarf GBB. Common names suck, but I can't remember all the scientific ones so I stick to the common names. :depressed:
My personal favorite in terms of looks is P. metallica (gooty sapphire) and M. balfouri (Blue baboon) with H. lividum (cobalt blue) at third.
For those who have had them they might be less out going than a GBB, but by how much? I might be ok with getting a shyer one as long as i can see them enough.
Thanks everyone!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
It’s not on the said list, but this one is also blue, and lovely:

Dolichothele diamantinensis

Ian14

Arachnobaron
I was referring to P. sazimai. I call D. diamentinensis a dwarf GBB. Common names suck, but I can't remember all the scientific ones so I stick to the common names. :depressed:
My personal favorite in terms of looks is P. metallica (gooty sapphire) and M. balfouri (Blue baboon) with H. lividum (cobalt blue) at third.
For those who have had them they might be less out going than a GBB, but by how much? I might be ok with getting a shyer one as long as i can see them enough.
Thanks everyone!
The lividum spend all their time burrowed away. Balfouri are also known for being reclusive. Metallica are also pretty reclusive and much duller in life than in photos.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Blue tarantulas are arguably one the most beautiful tarantulas in the world. When I have one, I would like to see them. I don't like shy tarantulas. Out of these species which one would be considered best display species in order?
Gooty Sapphire
GBB
Cobalt Blue
Blue Baboon
Brazilian Blue
Signipore Blue
GBB, I’ve owned all of them, common names are useless. Though my T. cyan. is out just as much when she doesn’t burrow.

they might be less out going than a GBB, but by how much
A lot!! You will rarely see them compared to GBB

If you research them you will learn this.

Last edited:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Gbb is my most displayed tarantula on your list. The C.lividus is last on your list. The only time I have seen it 100% out was during a rehouse, included picture. Other than that she has been blue legs sticking out of burrow

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Another vote for Dolicothele diamantinensis. Super fast but have an amazing growth rate and feeding response. Mine are about 2.5” now and are always out and do not retreat into their burrows when disturbed.
2B07D4EF-355B-4DDD-A064-3629A78EA293.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Out of what you have said definitely Chromatoplema cyaneopubescens or common name GBB. And also im not sure, but judging by the question its seems like you may be new, so, im not great with common names but pretty sure the rest of those are OW's which may be outside your experience level at this point. C. cyaneopubescens you really cant go wrong with, typically a prolific webber and also mine is always out in the open. You may read things off google that say "semi-arboreal", but disregard that they are indeed a straight terrestrial, and should be housed as such.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Thanks everyone!
I’m the exact opposite, I can’t remember the common names for the life of me with some species :rofl:

Ian14

Arachnobaron
Out of what you have said definitely Chromatoplema cyaneopubescens or common name GBB. And also im not sure, but judging by the question its seems like you may be new, so, im not great with common names but pretty sure the rest of those are OW's which may be outside your experience level at this point. C. cyaneopubescens you really cant go wrong with, typically a prolific webber and also mine is always out in the open. You may read things off google that say "semi-arboreal", but disregard that they are indeed a straight terrestrial, and should be housed as such.
And keep them DRY. They really do not like damp substrate. Mi e is on bone dry coir, with a bottle cap water lid that I fill up when feeding. This is the only t I have that actually goes straight to the bowl when filled up and drinks in full view.
Well, until its food gets dropped, at which point water is forgotten about!!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
This is going to be based on my opinion.

The ones I like are Caribena versicolor and GBB.

Both are out quite often. C. versi has been out alot lately otherwise will stay in it's web cocoon for extended periods. It is also the most beautifully colored T to me. Also the most docile, never raised it's abdomen to me or shot poop in my direction.

Let me be clear I do not handle so that is one reason it never raises it's abdomen to me, (this is how they get urticating bristles on you since you seem to be new). I also never do anything to stress it out. It is 4 inches and in it's final enclosure.

Last edited:

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Gooty Sapphire
GBB
Cobalt Blue
Blue Baboon
Brazilian Blue
Signipore Blue
Dolichothele Diamantinensis

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I’m the exact opposite, I can’t remember the common names for the life of me with some species :rofl:
I can't *remember* them because I don't bother learning them in the first place. They're worse than useless, as they confuse new keepers.