Best diet for small Beardies?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Looking for the best diet to feed Ramses, the new baby bearded dragon. Other than crickets and lettuce what else should I give him or her?

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
For greens I would give them something other than lettuce. It's mostly water and doesn't have much nutritional value for them.

jaredc

Arachnosquire
I am new to owning beardies but I have two adults. They like collards greens, cucumbers (poor nutrition), and raspberries/blackberries the most. I use dubias as a staple diet, although I know it's not ideal. A variety is best; I'm not a fan of crickets though.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I'v had Spike, the adult dragon since I was 9 (seven years) and I've only recently been finding out that we havn't given him the best food. So collards greens good or bad? The site said the greens are a good staple but I want to double check.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Collards are good. I feed mine kale and endive with superworms right now, with cucumber, banana, and hornworms on occasion. I'm trying to get him more varied foods, but he's a picky eater! He actually stopped eating crickets a while back.

truecreature

Arachnoknight
The best diet is one that's as varied as possible. Any kind of live prey like roaches, superworms, phoenix worms, butterworms, hornworms, etc but try to make sure that the prey item isn't any larger than the space between the beardie's eyes or there could be an impaction risk.

Any kind of greens are also good: collared, mustard, turnip, dandelion, etc. Squash is also really good; I put it through a blender to turn it into a mush that's easier to eat

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Supposedly they slow down on insects and transition to veges as the age, but I've not found thid to be true. Lettuce is a big no no as stated above it has no nutritional value. Adults become obese very easily when they are fed nothing but insects. Seedless Grapes, kale, seedless strawberrys, and celery are all viable options.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Both of our beardies show little interest when shown a variety of veggies. They might eat a couple of bites. I'm going by the store today to pick up some collard greens, mustard greens and a couple other things to see how they like it.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
So whenever I try feeding veggies the dragons just sit there and seem uninterested. What am I doing wrong?

Napier19

Arachnopeon
Mine does the same thing. It took some time to it to adjust because it looks for movement. I've had to shake the bowl to get them to take the first bite then they stared chowing down.