Best Desert T?

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
This is an interesting statement. Do you think if one has to handle a T an adult-sized is better than a sling? I can tell you this is not the case at all.

I've used this. It molds incredibly easily. In a desert setup likely not. Honestly the most mold-resistant wood product is cork (that is easily avail)

Top-soil is great, finely ground coco fiber is commonly used.

Smart idea

Looks gorgeous, many Ts dig them up and/or web all over them- not worth the effort IMO.

True

Best one you listed.

Versi are quite hardy, BUT have a narrow range of tolerance for husbandry errors, they are not bullet proof. Most new people kill them. Just search for the millions of Avic/Help my T is dying posts.

Depends on specimen- Any Brachy or albo is a crap shoot on how flicky it will be. My albo is very flicky! Others no issue.

If you want a large T like an albo, actually a bit larger that doesn't really have this issue go with G. pulchripes.
I wouldn't think it would be "better" per se to handle an adult, but slings are so tiny I imagine in a dire circumstance handling one would be harder and more dangerous for them. That's all I meant! I won't be handling them regardless.
I have plenty of cork to use just in case!
have you ever used anything by TheBioDude? Would you recommend T products from a pet company or just top soil for gardening? the latter is probably cheaper.
no plants it is!
Aphonopelma chalcodes is soooo cute, its top 3 for sure!

So I'm gonna go ahead and refer to it as the GBB, if you're unsure of this terminology then I suggest googling it.
From what you've described I would also suggest this species. It was my first T, I still have her and love her dearly. They don't get that large, beautiful colours, very hardy, most are good webber's and make interesting hides, and most of all great eaters!
Perfectly easy husbandry, a mix of Coco fibre and shpagnum moss is what I use, with a top layer of dry coco fibre. All they need is a water dish.
Their set up needs about 4" of sub, some cork bark as a hide, and a few fake leaves/sticks to anchor it's web to.
I would describe them as "skittish". They can be very fast, but if you give them respect like all Ts they more than often retreat to their hide if disturbed.
They are terrestrial but imo given a bit of extra head room they like to climb up cork bark and foliage, as long as the height between sub and lid isn't too much.
Hope this helps with your journey!
You'll find loads of info on this species here if you think it's a good fit for you 🙂
Most important, always ask here FIRST before making any desicions!!
Could I use real sticks/leaves from the pet store instead of fake ones? I imagine fake ones would be easier to clean, but i just want her to be comfortable. GBBs are beautiful, I'm starting to think maybe the price is worth looking into them....Thanks for the rec!

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Could I use real sticks/leaves from the pet store instead of fake ones? I imagine fake ones would be easier to clean, but i just want her to be comfortable. GBBs are beautiful, I'm starting to think maybe the price is worth looking into them....Thanks for the rec!
Fake plants are always better for beginners. Real plants carry lots of cons. As for sticks, if you buy cork bark you can break it into the sized pieces that fit your tank.
Also just a note, it's never a good time to handle a T, but the bigger they get the harder they splat! Just resist! Your T will thank you for it.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Fake plants are always better for beginners. Real plants carry lots of cons. As for sticks, if you buy cork bark you can break it into the sized pieces that fit your tank.
Also just a note, it's never a good time to handle a T, but the bigger they get the harder they splat! Just resist! Your T will thank you for it.
Gotcha, thank you! It will be hard to resist, theyre just so damn cute....but i have the willpower!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't think it would be "better" per se to handle an adult, but slings are so tiny I imagine in a dire circumstance handling one would be harder and more dangerous for them. That's all I meant! I won't be handling them regardless.
I have plenty of cork to use just in case!
have you ever used anything by TheBioDude? Would you recommend T products from a pet company or just top soil for gardening? the latter is probably cheaper.
no plants it is!
Aphonopelma chalcodes is soooo cute, its top 3 for sure!
Didn't think you would be handling them per se. But, if I had a choice I'd take a sling over an adult any day.

1. Smaller, less massive, if they fall, less chance of damage than an adult.
2. Smaller, can't move too far, easy to contain with a catch cup
3. Smaller, less change of being tagged too, fangs are so tiny may not puncture skin

Never used BioDude.
MANY products we use, and in the herp industry (I was a reptile/amphibian first and FAR longer than a T owner) were adapted from plant industry. I pick whatever is cheapest. Slap Herp on the label and the price increases geometrically hah.

Baby T

Arachnoknight
Gotcha, thank you! It will be hard to resist, theyre just so damn cute....but i have the willpower!!
No probs. They are honestly beautiful! I have a soft spot for them, and in my collection she's the best behaved!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
You can probably leave off a. bicoloratum for now, just given your comment the c. cyaenopubescens being expensive; bicoloratum will run you about $80 for a specimen smaller than .5” and $150+ easily for 1”, and keep going up bigger they are. B Boehmei are larger, but often compared and way cheaper.

You mentioned arboreal, that means they live off the ground higher up. The versicolor is arboreal, everything else terrestrial on your list. You‘re mostly interested in ground dwelling T’s, right?

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
You can probably leave off a. bicoloratum for now, just given your comment the c. cyaenopubescens being expensive; bicoloratum will run you about $80 for a specimen smaller than .5” and $150+ easily for 1”, and keep going up bigger they are. B Boehmei are larger, but often compared and way cheaper.

You mentioned arboreal, that means they live off the ground higher up. The versicolor is arboreal, everything else terrestrial on your list. You‘re mostly interested in ground dwelling T’s, right?
I think below $100 for a juvy is my price range. Arboreals are beautiful, but I worry I won't be able to give them proper space. But anything you can recommend I'll look into! the versicolor was recommended by someone else I think, but I have a few others that I think I favor more than them, like the curly or arizona blonde (I can't remember all their scientific names, yet i know every single pokemon....dammit brain!)

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Curly hair is tlitocatl albopilosus. I am keeping 1 sling and 1 juvenile. Visible, great eaters and good temper. Truly one of the undervalued.
409E0A19-BB0B-499B-B11D-EA63EEC4B125.jpeg
Arizona blonde is aphonelma chalcodes. Dont have one.
Gbb is chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Great hunter, heavy webber, low maintenance and great colors. My saf made his web between fake leaves and top of the enclosure and came down at night to hunt.
37EB0E8B-0033-4CCD-8444-196B48A8BE7B.jpeg

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I read a post a month or so back where the op placed a glass vial with protective spells written inside and sealed it up with a cork lid and placed inside of tarantula enclosure. Maybe you could try something similar. A ton of good advice has been given I just wanted to add another option. Lol

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Curly hair is tlitocatl albopilosus. I am keeping 1 sling and 1 juvenile. Visible, great eaters and good temper. Truly one of the undervalued.
View attachment 367413
Arizona blonde is aphonelma chalcodes. Dont have one.
Gbb is chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. Great hunter, heavy webber, low maintenance and great colors. My saf made his web between fake leaves and top of the enclosure and came down at night to hunt.
View attachment 367412
wow your T's are so beautiful! I'll definitely be picking out of these 3 options. thanks for showing me :)

I read a post a month or so back where the op placed a glass vial with protective spells written inside and sealed it up with a cork lid and placed inside of tarantula enclosure. Maybe you could try something similar. A ton of good advice has been given I just wanted to add another option. Lol
that seems interesting, spells like paganism? or witchcraft? what would that do i wonder? if the t webbed around it, itd have more "protection" i bet. i don't know much about that kind of stuff but it seems cool

KeGathings17

Arachnosquire
Most people on r/tarantulas know absolutely nothing. I browse that sub everyday its borderline useless
Aahahaha yes!!! I agree. Every now and again I'll look through there for good photos of T's but I honestly can't go more than 30 minutes on that website before I feel my ears ringing.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Hi guys, along with my beetle setup I'm also setting up a new tank for a sling, but I need some help figuring out what the best kind is. I think I'd like one that lives in a dry part of nature, so she wouldn't require much misting. I'd also like one that doesn't burrow as often as much as other species. Of course, a docile species would be great too, as I would love to hold her on occasion. Is there something that fits that criteria? The tank is a 3 gallon zoo med creatures habitat. Also, would it be safe to add wood and leaves from my yard (the woods) to her tank or is that unsafe? I'm a complete beginner! Thanks :)
I'm still new at owning tarantulas. I acquired my first one December 2019 so almost 1 year now.

Based on that I will give you some good advice. Start with buying 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide', a photo below will show you. You can buy the 3rd edition online. Skip the husbandry parts as that is out dated now.

I will recommend a T. albopilosus for starting out. They are easy to work with, especially when rehousing. They are very hardy so forgiving of husbandry mistakes. Also very affordable and abundant.

I spent a year researching different species and proper husbandry before buying one.

Please oh please do not show boat by having to handle a tarantula. There is alot of reasons why. I hope this helps starting out.

I'm still new at owning tarantulas. I acquired my first one December 2019 so almost 1 year now.

Based on that I will give you some good advice. Start with buying 'The Tarantula Keeper's Guide', a photo below will show you. You can buy the 3rd edition online. Skip the husbandry parts as that is out dated now.

I will recommend a T. albopilosus for starting out. They are easy to work with, especially when rehousing. They are very hardy so forgiving of husbandry mistakes. Also very affordable and abundant.

I spent a year researching different species and proper husbandry before buying one.

Please oh please do not show boat by having to handle a tarantula. There is alot of reasons why. I hope this helps starting out.
i love research using books, thanks so much! i wont be getting her until well after the holiday season just in case.

Attachments

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
i love research using books, thanks so much! i wont be getting her until well after the holiday season just in case.
You're very welcome and I hope you enjoy and adore them like all of us do.

Also Tom Moran has alot of very educational information he has put out there on his site
, podcast and of course the most famous video site.

It is great to read about more and more people enjoying these fascinating creatures. I wish people I know or come across in person would stop condemning me for owning them 😔

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
You're very welcome and I hope you enjoy and adore them like all of us do.

Also Tom Moran has alot of very educational information he has put out there on his site
, podcast and of course the most famous video site.

It is great to read about more and more people enjoying these fascinating creatures. I wish people I know or come across in person would stop condemning me for owning them 😔
I hate that people are scared of them, theyre just adorable. Ive been doing lots of research this past week, and today i opened the pantry and saw a huge brown spider on the door. usually i'd jump, but i just scooped him up and took him outside. its crazy what a little research and change in mentality can do. when i tell my mom i know shes gonna freak XD

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
That's awesome 😄

I forgot to say this in my previous reply. Tom Moran has great info this is true but arachnoboards has a plethora of information here as well besides just coming here for questions.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Chromatopelma cyaenopubescens really fits everything you’re looking for. A juvie is a great idea for newbies but based on this thread...I think you can handle a sling GBB. You seem more than willing to do your homework and ask for help. They wouldn’t be starting out in your enclosure but a 12-16oz deli cup is like 1$. And before long they’ll be ready for your enclosure (unless you get the G. pulchra).

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Chromatopelma cyaenopubescens really fits everything you’re looking for. A juvie is a great idea for newbies but based on this thread...I think you can handle a sling GBB. You seem more than willing to do your homework and ask for help. They wouldn’t be starting out in your enclosure but a 12-16oz deli cup is like 1$. And before long they’ll be ready for your enclosure (unless you get the G. pulchra).
thanks for believing in me XD i really like the GBB theyre very pretty. <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig73

Arachnoangel
thanks for believing in me XD i really like the GBB theyre very pretty. <edit>
Check the classified section on this site, you can usually find decent deals and they have a review section so you can see what others have experienced.

Wherever you order check that they offer Live Arrival Guarantee (LAG), it’s pretty standard. Overnight shipping is typically around ~$45, but if they are closer to you sometimes 2-3 shipping is offered, but may void LAG. LAG will cover the cost of the animal if DOA, but almost never covers shipping costs; this applies for almost all sellers here or out on the webs.

I‘ve used several sellers on this site and have had great experiences. Some import and sell, others breed and sell. Everyone I’ve done transactions with has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful answering questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Check the classified section on this site, you can usually find decent deals and they have a review section so you can see what others have experienced.

Wherever you order check that they offer Live Arrival Guarantee (LAG), it’s pretty standard. Overnight shipping is typically around ~$45, but if they are closer to you sometimes 2-3 shipping is offered, but may void LAG. LAG will cover the cost of the animal if DOA, but almost never covers shipping costs; this applies for almost all sellers here or out on the webs.

I‘ve used several sellers on this site and have had great experiences. Some import and sell, others breed and sell. Everyone I’ve done transactions with has been extremely knowledgeable and helpful answering questions.
Awesome, thank you so much!!! I think i'll wait till after the holidays to order, just in case.