Best Desert T?

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, along with my beetle setup I'm also setting up a new tank for a sling, but I need some help figuring out what the best kind is. I think I'd like one that lives in a dry part of nature, so she wouldn't require much misting. I'd also like one that doesn't burrow as often as much as other species. Of course, a docile species would be great too, as I would love to hold her on occasion. Is there something that fits that criteria? The tank is a 3 gallon zoo med creatures habitat. Also, would it be safe to add wood and leaves from my yard (the woods) to her tank or is that unsafe? I'm a complete beginner! Thanks :)

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Based on what you’re looking for. Nothing fits your criteria.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there something that fits that criteria?
No

BTW, desert species, and virtually all Ts make some type of home, be it silk cocoon or fossorial etc. I suggest you read more carefully about these animals BEFORE getting one. Your other questions suggest you haven't..

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
I was just asking a question, because I wanted to learn more. I posted the exact same thing on Reddit and I received a lot of help. Maybe instead of being mean to new hobbyists you could help them out.

Based on what you’re looking for. Nothing fits your criteria.
thanks anyways

beetles would be better or a lizard for what your looking for
i cant have a lizard and im having a hard time finding beetles online, but thanks anyways

No

BTW, desert species, and virtually all Ts make some type of home, be it silk cocoon or fossorial etc. I suggest you read more carefully about these animals BEFORE getting one. Your other questions suggest you haven't..
theres literally no reason to act this way. i was just asking a question. no, i don't know anything, i assumed chatting with other hobbyists would be better than just googling around. thanks anyways

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
theres literally no reason to act this way. i was just asking a question. no, i don't know anything, i assumed chatting with other hobbyists would be better than just googling around. thanks anyways
Two of us gave the same answer to your question with all your criteria- case closed on that

The rest I was providing constructive criticism, nothing more

Do you realize how many people come up with the same question and when you provide them a species suggestion, they have a reason why that's not the right T for them. SO rather than waste your time and mine, it's far easier for someone to come here with specific questions about a species they are interested in.

Tarantulafeets

Arachnobaron
The t that I think best fits your criteria is an Aphonopelma sp, IMO. But each tarantula sling needs a hide, as they are pretty vulnerable. The wood from your yard should be fine, just make sure that there is no pesticides. I'm also pretty sure that the tank you're using has a screen top?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
The t that I think best fits your criteria is an Aphonopelma sp, IMO. But each tarantula sling needs a hide, as they are pretty vulnerable. The wood from your yard should be fine, just make sure that there is no pesticides. I'm also pretty sure that the tank you're using has a screen top?
Not to come at you or shut you down, but based on what he/she wants to do and their criteria, unfortunately no T fits the bill. Also.... T’s are not meant to be handled. Outside debris introduced into enclosures are also a bad idea as far as I’m concerned. Too much risk of introducing foreign bodies.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
I was just asking a question, because I wanted to learn more. I posted the exact same thing on Reddit and I received a lot of help. Maybe instead of being mean to new hobbyists you could help them out.
nobody is being mean i assume its the word "hold ocasionally" that rubs the wrong way since most on here dont get on with the whole holding/handling a t thing some do since theres no benefit and much risk of death or injury to the t asaide from that a 3 gallon tank is way to big for a sling i would suggest typing in questions into the search function on this forum (top right corner) you can find lots to read and learn good luck

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
What you want to do with your tarantula is up to you, but pretty much nobody here is going to encourage you to handle them. No tarantulas need misting, while some do require more moist substrate, there are plenty of species that can be kept dry. If you plan to get a new pet, it is your responsibility to do your due diligence for the safety and quality of life of your animals and yourself. You can't expect everyone to hand feed you all the info you need with the attitude you think is appropriate. The reason people are taking that kind of tone with you that they are is because it is very obvious you have not made any effort to look into these things yourself. I applaud your interest in getting into the tarantula hobby and I hope you stick around long enough to learn and grow as a keeper. Not that I know from experience, but Reddit is probably not the best resource in the case of inverts. If you poke around on here enough you will start to realize that even the members who may come off as rude to you are really just people who care deeply about the animals, the hobby, and the aspiring hobbyists. When you do decide on what to get, try to prepare the enclosure ahead of time and people here will be glad to give you tips and constructive criticism.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Based on how I read your inquiry, here’s my two cents...

Sounds like you have a general idea of what your enclosure will look like and you’re looking at making something fit into that box. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it does make recommendations a bit harder because 9/10 your enclosure concept will have to be modified or reconsidered. Function over form as they say.

You can start to research terrestrial tarantulas (vs. fossorial or arboreal). You should make a list of qualities you are looking for (i.e. docile, small/med/large, growth rates, ideal enclosure setups, etc). This would help you narrow down your search and determine how the setup will look.

For slings, the enclosures should be basic, and will be nothing like you’ve envisioned. The idea is to focus on feeding and growth. You‘re looking at a basic deli cup, dirt, and a small water dish if it even fits (there’s ways to provide water with no dish). As it grows the enclosure is upsized and eventually you have a hardy and stable T that could get the nice enclosure you’re thinking of....could be years if it’s a slow growing species. Or skip the sling stage and go for a larger specimen.

Handling is not a practice that is widely endorsed. Tarantulas are actually very delicate despite being predatory animals. Some are quite slow, but when the time comes they can be very fast and either flung across the room if someone holding it is startled, or dropped a short distance and rupture the delicate abdomen...which can lead to a quick death, a long drawn out death, or other internal injuries that may not be prevalent until later on.

Any leaves or wood collected from the outdoors should be heat treated to kill off any mites or other nasty things. I’d be weary, you have to be 100% sure they were never treated with pesticide.

Hope this helps.

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
Two of us gave the same answer to your question with all your criteria- case closed on that

The rest I was providing constructive criticism, nothing more

Do you realize how many people come up with the same question and when you provide them a species suggestion, they have a reason why that's not the right T for them. SO rather than waste your time and mine, it's far easier for someone to come here with specific questions about a species they are interested in.
i think i'll make another post with more specific questions, and you're welcome to give suggestions

Based on how I read your inquiry, here’s my two cents...

Sounds like you have a general idea of what your enclosure will look like and you’re looking at making something fit into that box. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it does make recommendations a bit harder because 9/10 your enclosure concept will have to be modified or reconsidered. Function over form as they say.

You can start to research terrestrial tarantulas (vs. fossorial or arboreal). You should make a list of qualities you are looking for (i.e. docile, small/med/large, growth rates, ideal enclosure setups, etc). This would help you narrow down your search and determine how the setup will look.

For slings, the enclosures should be basic, and will be nothing like you’ve envisioned. The idea is to focus on feeding and growth. You‘re looking at a basic deli cup, dirt, and a small water dish if it even fits (there’s ways to provide water with no dish). As it grows the enclosure is upsized and eventually you have a hardy and stable T that could get the nice enclosure you’re thinking of....could be years if it’s a slow growing species. Or skip the sling stage and go for a larger specimen.

Handling is not a practice that is widely endorsed. Tarantulas are actually very delicate despite being predatory animals. Some are quite slow, but when the time comes they can be very fast and either flung across the room if someone holding it is startled, or dropped a short distance and rupture the delicate abdomen...which can lead to a quick death, a long drawn out death, or other internal injuries that may not be prevalent until later on.

Any leaves or wood collected from the outdoors should be heat treated to kill off any mites or other nasty things. I’d be weary, you have to be 100% sure they were never treated with pesticide.

Hope this helps.
thank you, this was very in depth. i'm going to make another thread with more specific questions. thanks for being patient with me!

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Most people on r/tarantulas know absolutely nothing. I browse that sub everyday its borderline useless

beetleburr

Arachnopeon
What you want to do with your tarantula is up to you, but pretty much nobody here is going to encourage you to handle them. No tarantulas need misting, while some do require more moist substrate, there are plenty of species that can be kept dry. If you plan to get a new pet, it is your responsibility to do your due diligence for the safety and quality of life of your animals and yourself. You can't expect everyone to hand feed you all the info you need with the attitude you think is appropriate. The reason people are taking that kind of tone with you that they are is because it is very obvious you have not made any effort to look into these things yourself. I applaud your interest in getting into the tarantula hobby and I hope you stick around long enough to learn and grow as a keeper. Not that I know from experience, but Reddit is probably not the best resource in the case of inverts. If you poke around on here enough you will start to realize that even the members who may come off as rude to you are really just people who care deeply about the animals, the hobby, and the aspiring hobbyists. When you do decide on what to get, try to prepare the enclosure ahead of time and people here will be glad to give you tips and constructive criticism.
i have looked into their habitats, feeding, enclosure and other aspects, but i got a little overwhelmed trying to find the right spider. i will be making another post with more specific questions. i know that the people who came off as rude just care a lot. for the aspect of handling, i was not expecting to cuddle up to them, mostly just looking for a more docile species that will tolerate cleanings, not being held for a long time, per se. i wasnt expecting to pick them up right away either, but i hoping to find out about more docile species.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
@Craig73 provided a really good response imo

Desert species are usually subjected to extreme temperatures, so a lot of them will burrow, and some of them will burrow deeply. Most terrestrial spiderlings start out burrowing a lot to stay safe, too, so you won't see them much anyway. They'll be out more once they hit 2-3" or so, usually.

If you're looking for a species that doesn't require much moisture because you don't want to worry about humidity levels, there are plenty to choose from that aren't endemic to a desert environment. Some of them are fairly docile, but as you've seen, AB is very anti-handling in general.

Also, I wouldn't recommend misting for most species. I do spritz one wall of my Avicularia enclosure so it can drink off of it, but for the rest of my spiders, I tend to overflow the water dish and/or inject water to the bottom of the substrate.

Did you already buy the enclosure? If so, can we see it? Maybe we can recommend a good starter species for you based on what you have.