Best cleanup crew & fly control for Dubai’s.??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
So wait until I see something cheap local ? Or cheap online when its warmer outside .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Flies are back I’m not sure how to kill them off they’re not flying into my apple cider vinegar traps.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
What type of "flies" are you having issues with? Because how you go about controlling them depends on what type they are. If their actually fungus gnats your just going to have to use some sticky traps and also I use "mosquito bits/dunks" to control their ability to breed in substrate with the addition of sticky traps to catch the adults. Overall regardless you are probably going to need to routinely clean our your roach bin more often until you knock back the pest out break.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What type of "flies" are you having issues with? Because how you go about controlling them depends on what type they are. If their actually fungus gnats your just going to have to use some sticky traps and also I use "mosquito bits/dunks" to control their ability to breed in substrate with the addition of sticky traps to catch the adults. Overall regardless you are probably going to need to routinely clean our your roach bin more often until you knock back the pest out break.
ill clean out my roach bin tonight .
How many weeks can I give dubia no fruit ? Do fruit flies die if I offer vegetables. Instead ? I could use water crystals but I’m worried the flies will lay eggs in them.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Generally flies will lay their eggs in anything with moisture, so if your egg cartons get wet they could also facilitate their larvae.

I purposely mist the egg crate in my dermistid beetle colony in order to get them to lay eggs in the paper.

Stop feeding fruits or especially wet food items like tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, or lettuce until you can get the infestation under control.

You can use carrots or sliced potatoes to provide hydration without excess moisture

If you use water crystals just change them out every other week

Clean out your bins for any wet spots and throw away wet frass. Frass holds moisture for weeks and can help fly larvae survive in the substrate.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Generally flies will lay their eggs in anything with moisture, so if your egg cartons get wet they could also facilitate their larvae.

I purposely mist the egg crate in my dermistid beetle colony in order to get them to lay eggs in the paper.

Stop feeding fruits or especially wet food items like tomatoes, cucumbers, oranges, or lettuce until you can get the infestation under control.

You can use carrots or sliced potatoes to provide hydration without excess moisture

If you use water crystals just change them out every other week

Clean out your bins for any wet spots and throw away wet frass. Frass holds moisture for weeks and can help fly larvae survive in the substrate.
I killed the fly eggs and tossed a wet paper towels roll etc .
Yeah I removed 95% of the frass !! Had like 100 babies in it . One was having molting issues if it doesn’t make it I’m feeding it off. I accidentally spilled my roach chow but it’s dry so I’m
sure it won’t do anything but feed them.
So potato and carrot for hydration until fly is under control . The watermelon slice brought the flies it seems.
I’m lowering my temps to 85 or 82 maybe also .
thanks again !
IMG_4465.jpeg IMG_4464.jpeg IMG_4463.jpeg

Last edited:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I feed my colony mainly on my own mix of roach chow supplemented with veggies for extra nutrition. The colony is always dry because of the roach chow and the only time it gets wet is momentarily from fresh veggies.

I avoid fruits like grapes, apples, and watermelons and excessively wet foods such as tomatoes and cucumbers. They cause more trouble with mold than they are worth, and you can derive their nutritional value from other sources.

Sometimes I will feed an orange or a mango slice for hydration but I never feed more than what the colony can eat in 24 hours. Flies are not a problem if the food does not sit and rot.

I use water crystals in a dish and replace them when I see their color start to change from clear to dirty yellow or brown, usually every 12-14 days or twice a month.

I'm testing a colony right now with no water dish and no water crystals, hydrating on just fresh veggies. So far no deaths.

As long as you keep it dry and clean, your pests should die off within a few weeks to a month. Just keep on top of the maintenance.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
ill clean out my roach bin tonight .
How many weeks can I give dubia no fruit ? Do fruit flies die if I offer vegetables. Instead ? I could use water crystals but I’m worried the flies will lay eggs in them.
How long is going to depend on how bad your fruit flies are but I would use like 120micron mesh screen on the air vents so that you can keep any more out and such. But nits just going to take a bit of time and routinely full cleaning to knock back, plus sticky traps, etc. Its a pain I know, I had a bad outbreak of mainly fungus gnats about 1 1/12 years ago and and it was a huge pain in the ass but with regular maintenance/cleaning/trapping we got rid of problem and now everything is good again. "Knocks on wood"

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
How long is going to depend on how bad your fruit flies are but I would use like 120micron mesh screen on the air vents so that you can keep any more out and such. But nits just going to take a bit of time and routinely full cleaning to knock back, plus sticky traps, etc. Its a pain I know, I had a bad outbreak of mainly fungus gnats about 1 1/12 years ago and and it was a huge pain in the ass but with regular maintenance/cleaning/trapping we got rid of problem and now everything is good again. "Knocks on wood"
Will the flies die off if I quit feeding fruit altogether?? The roaches will eat veggies quicker then the flies get to them. Some of my paper towel rolls got wet somehow I had to throw them away the flies layed eggs in them.
roaches can go a week without water right? Maybe don’t water them ???

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
fungus gnats I think i removed my dubia colony back to my bedroom because they were laying eggs in my roach frass.
so sticky traps are a must ? I should had bought them when I was at the store.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Sticky traps are a very effective trap method. Especially for fungus gnats since they walk on the ground.

Personally, I prefer the old inverted cone made from a water bottle with dish soap and bait.

They all go in, none come out.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sticky traps are a very effective trap method. Especially for fungus gnats since they walk on the ground.

Personally, I prefer the old inverted cone made from a water bottle with dish soap and bait.

They all go in, none come out.
I could try and make an inverted cone trap 🪤 so far the apple cider vinegar is working and the flies keep landing in there.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
For fruit flies or other pest flies the inverted cone has never failed me. I bait fruit flies with an apple core, banana, or mango. Every other pest fly gets 1 shrimp.

Flies will fly onto the trap, walk into it to eat and reproduce. Flies do not walk away from their food and exclusively fly away, so once they've entered the inverted cone, there is no exit. Very few if any at all can fly their way out.

Bonus points if you put some water and dish soap at the bottom. Theyll never get out and just drown.

Warning: these traps are highly effective and so will stink with rotten meat and dead flies very quickly.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
For fruit flies or other pest flies the inverted cone has never failed me. I bait fruit flies with an apple core, banana, or mango. Every other pest fly gets 1 shrimp.

Flies will fly onto the trap, walk into it to eat and reproduce. Flies do not walk away from their food and exclusively fly away, so once they've entered the inverted cone, there is no exit. Very few if any at all can fly their way out.

Bonus points if you put some water and dish soap at the bottom. Theyll never get out and just drown.

Warning: these traps are highly effective and so will stink with rotten meat and dead flies very quickly.
interesting I’ll try it.
No wonder I attract flies I feed my roaches apple cores a few times a week haha 😂. So chop one up and make a few traps with them might work!!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I still see a few gnats flying around but I don’t see any eggs being laid or anything so how are they just spontaneously appearing??should they just die off?

They aren’t attacking my orange head roach colony and I moved the dubias upstairs.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I neglected to mention what the commercial bug farms do. The roaches and similar animals are kept in bins about 3 foot square and tall, all screen sides and a wood bottom. The upper six inches of the bins are a slick plastic they can't climb. Then every few days the bin is upended into a clean bin with food source at the bottom. The bugs transfer to that bin then the dirty one is hosed or pressure washed clean. Simple, easy to execute.
The entire bins are taken to the local markets and the bugs sold live. Just social etiquette is used. You don't bring any stinky dirty fly attracting products to the markets.

Last edited: