Best cleanup crew & fly control for Dubai’s.??

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
dubia roaches need a clean up crew at some point but I’m lost as to what’s a cheap affordable idea . Something that will kill off the flies and keep the containers clean so if I not have to clean them as often .!!

Thanks’

basin79

ArachnoGod
dubia roaches need a clean up crew at some point but I’m lost as to what’s a cheap affordable idea . Something that will kill off the flies and keep the containers clean so if I not have to clean them as often .!!

Thanks’
If they're breeders (as in not pets) they'll need cleaning out often if you have a lot. There's no getting around a breeding colony eat a lot so crap a lot. Bare floor and vertical egg trays make cleaning the easiest. Have 2 tubs. When 1 needs cleaning transfer the egg trays over to the other 1. Pick out any adults and juveniles. Use a colander to find any remaining babies.

That typed if pets and kept on damp substrate springtails are little phenomenal workers.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
Some people use beetles for clean up, but if you put in too many they might start chewing on the dubia nymphs.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Some people use beetles for clean up, but if you put in too many they might start chewing on the dubia nymphs.
Isopods or springtails could help. ?? What is best cleanup crew
, flys are upstairs . Soo many come up from basement.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If they're breeders (as in not pets) they'll need cleaning out often if you have a lot. There's no getting around a breeding colony eat a lot so crap a lot. Bare floor and vertical egg trays make cleaning the easiest. Have 2 tubs. When 1 needs cleaning transfer the egg trays over to the other 1. Pick out any adults and juveniles. Use a colander to find any remaining babies.

That typed if pets and kept on damp substrate springtails are little phenomenal workers.
Yes they definitely need cleaning ? Springtails I need ?? What’s else
Need a cleanup crew otherwise flys just eventually taken over again .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Dermestid beetles for the dead maybe?
What’s the best reliable place to buy them for cheaper ?
Is 3 day shipping safe for these I cannot afford express . Still hunting down my lost wallet, I possibly need to find other sites to sell or trade some of my dubia I have way too many.

basin79

ArachnoGod
What’s the best reliable place to buy them for cheaper ?
Is 3 day shipping safe for these I cannot afford express . Still hunting down my lost wallet, I possibly need to find other sites to sell or trade some of my dubia I have way too many.
Not a Scooby Doo. I'm in the UK.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Not a Scooby Doo. I'm in the UK.
Oh I found it my friend had it under his car seat .
Best bet is to clean my roach bins get some , cleanup crews . And possibly sell a bin or two of my extra dubia locally if possible . Too much hassle to shop them and cannot afford the supplies for it .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
What do you water dubia with ? Can’t use much veggies or fruit until flies are In lower numbers.
any filters or screen that remove flys ability to enter tanks ?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Two tricks the local rural farmers use in Asia.
Flies: One or more fly traps. A large screened box, just a frame with screens 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot or even larger. Light and portable. In the center of the bottom penetrating the screen is a tube about 6 inches in diameter that reaches up to about 3 or 4 inches below the top. The tube should be a material that flies can walk on easily. There is a small hinged door on one of the sides. The box has legs of whatever length required, flimsy affairs just strong enough to support the box.
The box is placed near or above the insect containments and a fish or a few ounces of fish offal is placed inside it on a flat pan or tray, allowed to rot. Add more fish as required every day or two.
The flies will target the fish instead of just about any other stink or smell. They enter the tube, walk up the sides then fly down to the fish. They cannot figure out how to get out the way they came in. Move the box about where it attracts the most flies. Most often it is placed above the insect colonies.
This usually reduces the fly population around 95%. For exceptionally stupid flies add a sticky trap on a little shelf under the box.
(Scientifically, how it works. Flies scavenge by landing and searching walking about. Once they have had a full meal they fly off, never walk away.)

Clean up crew. Have more than one containment. Periodically move the insects to the new containment and place the dirty one on an ants nest. After all material is carried off spray the container thoroughly with a solution of water with little baking soda to neutralize the formic acid residue. Depending on the ants, the clean out can take a week but those little red tire biters can clean it spotless in less than 24 hours.
* They use light sources and darkness to get the insects to voluntarily move from one containment to another but I've never observed the methodology.

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I heard someone said a certain type of screen was too think for flys to get threw any help?
So you need to keep spraying cage to use spring tails ? Will they eat dead
Dubai’s ?
Any help
The damp route would be a few inches of substrate kept damp. Springtails deal with fungi and droppings. Woodlice eat the corpses to keep down phorid flies. Dwarf whites are the best choice to reduce the chances of them eating nymphs. (Springtails will eat dead bodies, but they're slow.)

The dry route doesn't need substrate and you just add the beetles, but it's not really suitable for springtails. A word of warning is these beetles will eat any natural fibre and can survive in a dry house. I'm not a big fan of them for this reason. I like my carpets.

Given what you've said before, I think you'd do better adding some substrate for this colony and going the damp route. You're not living with people who'd appreciate beetle accidents. The springtails can also be spread to any other damp substrate enclosures (but not the woodlice... that's a case by case thing).

You've been given advice in your other threads about covering tanks and setting up fly traps. I've ditched most of the things I used before and gone over almost entirely to spiders. This year saw some false widows move into the house and they're amazing fly catchers. All that remains is my small population of fruit flies and fungus gnats, which I don't mind at all.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The damp route would be a few inches of substrate kept damp. Springtails deal with fungi and droppings. Woodlice eat the corpses to keep down phorid flies. Dwarf whites are the best choice to reduce the chances of them eating nymphs. (Springtails will eat dead bodies, but they're slow.)

The dry route doesn't need substrate and you just add the beetles, but it's not really suitable for springtails. A word of warning is these beetles will eat any natural fibre and can survive in a dry house. I'm not a big fan of them for this reason. I like my carpets.

Given what you've said before, I think you'd do better adding some substrate for this colony and going the damp route. You're not living with people who'd appreciate beetle accidents. The springtails can also be spread to any other damp substrate enclosures (but not the woodlice... that's a case by case thing).

You've been given advice in your other threads about covering tanks and setting up fly traps. I've ditched most of the things I used before and gone over almost entirely to spiders. This year saw some false widows move into the house and they're amazing fly catchers. All that remains is my small population of fruit flies and fungus gnats, which I don't mind at all.
Thanks now it’s just a matter of digging threw the old threads . Half or More of my glass cages use plexiglass lids . I may Be able to mod one to fit the sliding lid type of cage .
There are definitely phorid fly’s. They scurry mostly .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

What site has then best? Prices for woodlice and stuff ? Springtails if the two species would be a clean up crew I need something soon what’s the nearby way without 1 might shipped? I cannot afford Overnight right now it’s like 30 bucks?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
What site has then best? Prices for woodlice and stuff ? Springtails if the two species would be a clean up crew I need something soon what’s the nearby way without 1 might shipped? I cannot afford Overnight right now it’s like 30 bucks?
I'm from England, so I haven't a clue where to buy for you, but they don't really need overnight shipping as long as the temperature isn't too extreme and they're packed properly.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I'm from England, so I haven't a clue where to buy for you, but they don't really need overnight shipping as long as the temperature isn't too extreme and they're packed properly.
AHh I see , weather is steady 35-50 degrees warm for December.
Anyone in usa got suggestions on the cheapest reliable sellers of these ? I’m in dire need of clean up crews and many for my dubia roaches? The fly are coming back now .
Should had got orange head roaches they are carnivores though may be dangerous To some tarantulas , but probably eat there dead .

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
AHh I see , weather is steady 35-50 degrees warm for December.
Anyone in usa got suggestions on the cheapest reliable sellers of these ? I’m in dire need of clean up crews and many for my dubia roaches? The fly are coming back now .
I replied back in October, when it was warmer and you wouldn't have needed to pay for a heat pack. You keep asking for help, but you're not doing the things people suggest, so you ask for more help a few months later. You need to get out there and find someone selling what you need in your price range. You need to do the work on the enclosures and set up the traps. There's no magic solution that doesn't require work. Nobody can do this for you.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I replied back in October, when it was warmer and you wouldn't have needed to pay for a heat pack. You keep asking for help, but you're not doing the things people suggest, so you ask for more help a few months later. You need to get out there and find someone selling what you need in your price range. You need to do the work on the enclosures and set up the traps. There's no magic solution that doesn't require work. Nobody can do this for you.
I ran out of money the last time I asked do you think it’s possible to find someone either cheap enough online or local ? So some type of wood lice and springtails all I need ?