Best budget friendly camera for Ts?

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm looking to treat myself but not go bankrupt. I want a camera that is good for close ups and normal shots of Ts. I am looking at some kits to buy and they are offering the nikon 3500 or the canon eos rebel t7. Or any other cheaper suggestions that will take good pics.

Thanks!

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm using a Nikon D5600. The body and two kit lenses included came out to 599.00 plus tax. Takes amazing shots of tiny slings with the 18-55mm lens.
Chilobrachys dyscolus and C. fimbriatus
DSC_0378.jpg
DSC_0165.jpg
Also includes the 70-300mm lens for long distance shots like St. John's Cathedral, Antigua which was around 1/3 mile from where I stood. Took this shot at just 240mm as the full 300mm was too tight.
st john cathrdral.jpg
The cathedral as you would perceive it in person.
ctheral.jpg

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I started off with a Nikon D5500 with Nikon "cheap" macro lens and got (for me) great results.

The difference between that and a phone is like comparing a paper aeroplane to a fighter jet.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome! Thanks all! Do I necessarily need the external flash attachment to get the waumity of pics that you both take?

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
My cam is a Nikon D7500, I haven't used it for a while but coupled with a decent macro lens such as Tamron SP 90mm you can focus on everything no matter how small, including leaf cutter ant sensory hairs:

I also use the macro shooter on my P30 pro, not exactly on par with a pricey DSLR and a dedicated macro lens, but very impressive for a phone:

It can focus on tiny features in the smallest of slings which is enough for me most of the time. The fact that it's always on you, and allows you to switch between normal, wide angle, telephoto and macro with a tap on the screen is very convenient too

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just picked got an Olympus TG-6 for Christmas... I've not had long to play with it and learn the ins and outs, but ill post some photos up later tonight
PC250034.JPG PC250025.JPG
PC250072.JPG PC250068.JPG

Last edited:

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I am absolutely by NO stretch of the imagination an expert on cameras. I know a tiny bit about how they work, and i have played a little with one that was given to me.

One thing i do know though, ia that they don’t hold their value well. If you just get the 2 year old model, it will be like 1/2 the proce of whatevwr the new one is, and you might get some lenses.

As for macros, the cheap way to get a macro lens is to buy extension tubes instead. They are super cheap and you just put them between your lens and the camera to essentially turn your normal lens into a macro lens.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks all! I ended up going with the Nikon D5600 kit that comes with about 20 accessories and a few lenses, including a macro lense. I'll fiddle with it when it comes to show you how I do with it!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Nikon D5600
That rocks. It's just a little weird being able to offload the pics you have taken by simply setting the critter next to your cell phone or if so equipped, your computer. My wife was watching the download and left me ROTFL: "Don't disturb them. I think they are having electronic sex."

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I didnt even read about that feature! Very cool
Snap Bridge in the settings. But do yourself a favor and turn it off when not in use. It leaves a bluetooth transmitter on which drains the battery.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I highly recommend investing in a Tamron SP 90mm macro, the new VR version. A bit pricey but more than worth it

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
It's more about the lens than the body. Most bodies are the same with the exception of bells and whistles that most people don't even use. Get yourself a decent body, one that is comfortable for you to handle for long periods, and invest in good lenses. For insect photography you should have a 50mm plus a 90mm or 100mm macro lens. The 50mm should always be able to be used as a prime/portrait lens if it is decent enough. I could use my 50mm macro for just about anything.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm looking to treat myself but not go bankrupt. I want a camera that is good for close ups and normal shots of Ts. I am looking at some kits to buy and they are offering the nikon 3500 or the canon eos rebel t7. Or any other cheaper suggestions that will take good pics.

Thanks!
Are you willing to buy used?

I've never bought a new camera because with camera gear there is always tons of hardly used pro cameras that sell for less than half their new price.

Tons of people try photography with expensive gear and sell it all a year later hardly touched because they just weren't interested.

I've never been burned on ebay either. If you're careful to buy only auctions where the camera is stated to be in good working order or there is any claim that it is working properly than you can return it if for any reason it is not.

This is despite the seller claiming that returns aren't accepted. It is not up to them but up to Ebay and their guarantee that what you buy is what you get.

I always buy from auction that says returns not accepted because they sell for less than those where they are because I know if I have a problem ebay will for the seller to take the return.

So that would be my suggestion. Buy a hardly used digital from 4 or 5 years ago and for the money a new entry level co summer camera sells today you can often spend less than that for a pro camera from 5 years ago that still takes amazing pictures just like it did 5 years ago.

Spend the money on a lens and learn some macro, post processing, perhaps shooting in manual mode, and flash.

Your pictures will be amazing.

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
I've got the Nikon D5600 also and a Nikon Z6. I haven't used the kit lenses much yet, but have the Nikon 105mm Micro-Nikkor macro lens and a Laowa 100mm 2:1 macro lens. Good quality photos from both. I like the versatility of the Z6 a bit more. It has built in focus stacking, but you really need to use a tripod for that first. I didn't know much about photography either, but there are tons of youtube videos and channels with tutorials. Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto) has quite a few good videos and camera set up tutorials depending on which camera you have. Most cameras these days are going to take decent photos, as long as you understand and practice composition, exposure, etc... Just have fun learning and experimenting with it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm using a Nikon D5600. The body and two kit lenses included came out to 599.00 plus tax. Takes amazing shots of tiny slings with the 18-55mm lens.
Chilobrachys dyscolus and C. fimbriatus
View attachment 329358
View attachment 329359
Also includes the 70-300mm lens for long distance shots like St. John's Cathedral, Antigua which was around 1/3 mile from where I stood. Took this shot at just 240mm as the full 300mm was too tight.
View attachment 329361
The cathedral as you would perceive it in person.
View attachment 329362
I have the same lens and the 18-55 kit w/my D5500. I didn't know the 18-55 could do so well on slings. Thanks for posting that!

ignithium

Arachnoknight
I started off with a Nikon D5500 with Nikon "cheap" macro lens and got (for me) great results.

The difference between that and a phone is like comparing a paper aeroplane to a fighter jet.
D5500 is very good? Do you know it can take video of good quality too? Sorry for dumb question. I'm really need better camera but 500 euro is about one month salary for me, so if i will buy camera need to make sure its worth :D camera we must import, so very expensive for us