1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Best budget friendly camera for Ts?

Discussion in 'Through the Lens' started by J.huff23, Dec 25, 2019.

1. J.huff23

J.huff23 Arachnoking Old Timer

Advertisement
    I'm looking to treat myself but not go bankrupt. I want a camera that is good for close ups and normal shots of Ts. I am looking at some kits to buy and they are offering the nikon 3500 or the canon eos rebel t7. Or any other cheaper suggestions that will take good pics.

Thanks!

2. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnobaron

I'm using a Nikon D5600. The body and two kit lenses included came out to 599.00 plus tax. Takes amazing shots of tiny slings with the 18-55mm lens.
    Chilobrachys dyscolus and C. fimbriatus
    DSC_0378.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    Also includes the 70-300mm lens for long distance shots like St. John's Cathedral, Antigua which was around 1/3 mile from where I stood. Took this shot at just 240mm as the full 300mm was too tight.
    st john cathrdral.jpg
    The cathedral as you would perceive it in person.
    ctheral.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. basin79

basin79 Arachnoemperor Active Member

I started off with a Nikon D5500 with Nikon "cheap" macro lens and got (for me) great results.

The difference between that and a phone is like comparing a paper aeroplane to a fighter jet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. J.huff23

Awesome! Thanks all! Do I necessarily need the external flash attachment to get the waumity of pics that you both take?

5. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnobaron

I still use the built in flash.

6. J.huff23

What size lenses did it come with to get that shot of the fimbriatus?

7. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Arachnosquire Active Member

My cam is a Nikon D7500, I haven't used it for a while but coupled with a decent macro lens such as Tamron SP 90mm you can focus on everything no matter how small, including leaf cutter ant sensory hairs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also use the macro shooter on my P30 pro, not exactly on par with a pricey DSLR and a dedicated macro lens, but very impressive for a phone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It can focus on tiny features in the smallest of slings which is enough for me most of the time. The fact that it's always on you, and allows you to switch between normal, wide angle, telephoto and macro with a tap on the screen is very convenient too

8. I just picked got an Olympus TG-6 for Christmas... I've not had long to play with it and learn the ins and outs, but ill post some photos up later tonight
    PC250034.JPG PC250025.JPG
    PC250072.JPG PC250068.JPG

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    I am absolutely by NO stretch of the imagination an expert on cameras. I know a tiny bit about how they work, and i have played a little with one that was given to me.

One thing i do know though, ia that they don’t hold their value well. If you just get the 2 year old model, it will be like 1/2 the proce of whatevwr the new one is, and you might get some lenses.

As for macros, the cheap way to get a macro lens is to buy extension tubes instead. They are super cheap and you just put them between your lens and the camera to essentially turn your normal lens into a macro lens.

• Like Like x 1
  10. J.huff23

Thanks all! I ended up going with the Nikon D5600 kit that comes with about 20 accessories and a few lenses, including a macro lense. I'll fiddle with it when it comes to show you how I do with it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

That rocks. It's just a little weird being able to offload the pics you have taken by simply setting the critter next to your cell phone or if so equipped, your computer. My wife was watching the download and left me ROTFL: "Don't disturb them. I think they are having electronic sex."

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. J.huff23

I didnt even read about that feature! Very cool

13. The Snark

The Snark Dumpster Fire of the Gods Old Timer

Snap Bridge in the settings. But do yourself a favor and turn it off when not in use. It leaves a bluetooth transmitter on which drains the battery.

14. z32upgrader

z32upgrader Arachnobaron

That was shot with the 18-55mm kit lens.

15. TechnoGeek

TechnoGeek Arachnosquire Active Member

I highly recommend investing in a Tamron SP 90mm macro, the new VR version. A bit pricey but more than worth it

16. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

It's more about the lens than the body. Most bodies are the same with the exception of bells and whistles that most people don't even use. Get yourself a decent body, one that is comfortable for you to handle for long periods, and invest in good lenses. For insect photography you should have a 50mm plus a 90mm or 100mm macro lens. The 50mm should always be able to be used as a prime/portrait lens if it is decent enough. I could use my 50mm macro for just about anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.