Best Brachy for handling/docility?

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well the title says it all really, which brachy do you think is the best for handling, and least likely to flick hairs? I do regular reptile shows, demos and lectures, and would like to add a T to my lineup and allow those who are willing to gain first-hand experience of what these beautiful and misunderstood creatures are really like. I already have a few (phsychotic chile rose and some avics) but they're not really suitable for handling. I've heard that B.Emilia are typically very calm?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Well the title says it all really, which brachy do you think is the best for handling, and least likely to flick hairs? I do regular reptile shows, demos and lectures, and would like to add a T to my lineup and allow those who are willing to gain first-hand experience of what these beautiful and misunderstood creatures are really like. I already have a few (phsychotic chile rose and some avics) but they're not really suitable for handling. I've heard that B.Emilia are typically very calm?
I've heard B.albopilosum is great for handling. ;)

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've heard B.albopilosum is great for handling. ;)
Yup, I'd say B.albopilosum too. Smithi is great to but they could possibly kick hairs. Plus if you want a specimen large enough to handle, you might have to drop some cash.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It really depends on the individual T- my B. albo is the most skittish of the lot! I think the calmest I've ever had is one of my B. auratums.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My Albop readily kicks hairs but I can snatch my smithi up to hold it with out a second thought. My boehmei kicks hairs. My emelia doesn't. My smithi doesn't but my vagans does.

It does depend on the individual T but based on my collection. I'd say go with the smithi or the emelia.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like cheetah said, it depends on their individual temperments. I have a smithi that will kick one day and not the next. My emilia though has never kicked hairs at me. I also have a little 4.5cm B.vagans that'll kick hairs at me.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another vote for B. Albopilosum....Mine is a sweet old thing for sure. She's very slow moving, and I have never seen her try to kick hairs....Unlike the B. Smithi hair slinger extroidinaire....

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Out of mine, my older female B. albo wins the docile/easy to handle prize. Even my younger one is calm. My B. vagans is spazzy, but does not kick, and my boehmei kicks if I even look at him. I don't know about my emilia, it is still a pet hole.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its got to be B - ALBOPILOSUM :worship: :worship: :worship: i love them :8o :8o :8o :rolleyes: ;) -------- phil

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've kept lots of several different Brachypelma species, and in my experience, by and large B. emilia is the most docile, followed closely by B. albopilosum.
vagans can be down-right mean, and boehmei is very skittish.

smithi, auratum, klaasi, and others seem to be pretty good usually, but not as consistently docile as emilia.

-=ICM=-

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well it sounds like a throw up between B. albo and B.emilia so far, I think I prefer the Emilia but I can't seem to find one for sale on any of the UK sites.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i assume you wold also want one that is ..how should i say this ...attractive lol
if so i would go with the emilia or smithi or somethign with color ...people like color usually. some folks who think spiders are all ugly will say at least the colors are pretty. but brown well it looks brown ...

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not a brachy but I would vote for P. Murinus :liar: