Best beginner tarantulas and How to boost up B. Lateralis colony

ascraes

Arachnopeon
I currently have a G. pulchripes sling and I am hoping to add a few more tarantulas. Can you help me choose another specimen of a tarantula?

And can I ask some tips on how to boost my B. Lateralis colony? Thank you Guys :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
A.geniculata, C.cyaneopubescens, G.pulchra, L.parahybana, N.chromatus (sometimes a bit nervous but nothing much) the 'Brachy' army etc there's a lot to choose.

I never used B.lateralis as prey, only B.dubia. I breed those. All it needs for me is a XL enclosure, no substrate, no water dish, the right temperature, clean and fresh carrots (and cricket fodder) and those eggs stuff for hide. Done. I have those 365 days.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
A.geniculata, C.cyaneopubescens, G.pulchra, L.parahybana, N.chromatus (sometimes a bit nervous but nothing much) the 'Brachy' army etc there's a lot to choose.
What he said. That's a seriously cool list. Thinking about it, I can't even top it. I come up with another species and it's a "not yet".

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
And can I ask some tips on how to boost my B. Lateralis colony? Thank you Guys :D
There are 2 ways: messy and organized. I use messy way right now because i'm lazy :D

Messy: large plastic tub, 1-2 inches of loose substrate(coco peat, peat moss...), egg crates and 2 little plates(1st for fruit/veggies and 2nd for solid food). Keep substrate SLIGHTLY moist(not wet) and laters will bury oothecas in there for optimal humidity, resulting in almost 100% ootheca realization rate, obvious downside is cleaning once a 6 months is pain in the ass and all roaches are mixed size inside. Upside is you don't need to worry about separating ooths.
Organized: Same as messy, but without substrate. You pick oothecas once a few days from egg crates(they glue it on them, so be careful when picking) and place them in separate boxes that are humid inside. Upside, you have organized sizes of roaches. Downside: picking ooths is time consuming.

It is VERY important to keep ooths in humid place, probably most important thing in breeding laters

also, no need for water crystals or water gel, they get all moisture they need from food, it would just take up space and make everything more messy

and oh, keep them warm, at around 25-30 °C

reference pic: there is around 10k lats in there approximately:

Last edited:

mistertim

Arachnobaron
OP, any specific attributes or qualities you're looking for in your next tarantula. There are SO many that you could be looking at.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Personally, I'd recommend Acanthoscurria geniculata all day long! It is my most aggresive feeding T right now, with easy care and a huge adult size :D. Can't really go wrong with them, get them as a sling and watch them grow incredibly fast. Similar to pulchripes look too ;)

Estein

Arachnoknight
OP already has a pulchripes sling
Oops, good call. I got so wrapped up in the other suggestions that I forgot the post.

People are all over the board on their opinions of rosea/porteri, but honestly, my porteri is my favorite. She has a beautiful burgundy iridescence on her carapace, she's a hearty eater, she's always sitting out, and I see her webbing every couple of days. I know this won't be true of all individuals, but it certainly shows that not every porteri is a drab brown rock.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Personally, I'd recommend Acanthoscurria geniculata all day long! It is my most aggresive feeding T right now, with easy care and a huge adult size :D. Can't really go wrong with them, get them as a sling and watch them grow incredibly fast. Similar to pulchripes look too ;)
And as long as you remember that they are hands off (unless you want your fingers to become its next snack).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can you help me choose another specimen of a tarantula?
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but you haven't provided any meaningful information to provide you an informed choice. When you have such information let us know.

Your question is like asking someone "help me choose a car", in which case I'll recommend many different Ferrari among other high-end vehicles.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I hate to be Captain Obvious, but you haven't provided any meaningful information to provide you an informed choice. When you have such information let us know.

Your question is like asking someone "help me choose a car", in which case I'll recommend many different Ferrari among other high-end vehicles.
I think you just told him to get a Pokie.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I don't see how. They are all unique animals. I think G. pulchra is a gorgeous black T, just like a gorgeous black Ferrari.
I'm just kidding...the whole "super fast and sleek" feel of a Ferrari just makes me think of Pokies.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm just kidding...the whole "super fast and sleek" feel of a Ferrari just makes me think of Pokies.
Now, that's a different quality we are speaking of. Indeed I use that analogy myself for that genus, but in the proper context ;)