Best Beginner T?

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
I'm thinking of starting the hobby and I want to know which is the best beginner tarantula. Currently I'm interested in B. albopilosum or C. cyaneopubescens.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Either one would be a good choice, as would be most of the Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, or Grammostola species. My first was a B. albopilosum sling and she was absolutely perfect for a beginner's spider - especially a still-slightly-arachnophobic beginner like I was at the time. A word of warning, though - once you get into the hobby, it can very quickly become addicting! From those first am-I-really-sure-I-want-a-pet-spider jitters I've become a full-fledged arachnoholic, with twenty-some tarantulas and a host of other inverts.

I will say - based on my personal experience - that the B. albopilosum is a much more docile spider. My C. cyaneopubescens, while very pretty, have all been very skittish - and horrendous hair kickers if I even look at them too closely!

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I Mos Def agree with brachys and Aphonopelmas being great beginner species. I'd say Avicularia as well if you're looking for arboreals, as long as they are out of the fragile sling stage when you get em!

If you're in or near L.A. I've got a juvie B. Albopilosum and juvie B. Vagans (suspect females), and a couple of A. Versicolors up for grabs that are All VERY WELL STARTED :D

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have your mind set on one of those two I would say GBB. Due to the cost of shipping you might as well buy both!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depending on where you are located in California, there are a number of local reptile/exotic pet shops that sell tarantulas, plus there are Reptile Expos, Bug Fairs, and similar shows throughout the year. Those shows always have an absolutely mind-boggling selection of spiders in various stages of growth - and usually at very reasonable prices. Finally, there are some California dealers here on the Arachnoboards Classifieds. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is JoeRossi, but I'm sure there are others. If you buy locally you can save yourself the high shipping costs.

cold blood

Staff member
the albo is a solid choice. As would Be G.pulchripes on the cheaper end and G. pulchra on the more expensive end. Euthlus sp. red is another spectacular choice, as is T. cyaneolum...which is probably the best there is, but its just hard to find.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Wut?! @cold blood....I is shook.....where's the G. pulchripes picture?!

@ChanTheMan out of the two listed, I'd go B. albopilosum. Like others have stated the C. cyaneopubescens is more on the skittish side with speed so unless you have any other type of exotic pet the gbb might not the best beginner for you.

Last edited:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I am a beginner and my very first T is Aphonphelma anax sling. Very lovely T, eats well except for very long premolt, is a busy bulldozer and looks super cool. He only threw a threat pose once and I was rehousing so it seemed appropriate. I love this T and think this is a great species.

I also have a G pulchripes and E sp red. They are great too. All fabulous beginner species. These are all relatively mellow species and easy to care for as they just need dry substrate, a hide and a water dish.

ChanTheMan

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone. What size would you recommend? Is 2" good? And is A. Geniculata good also? I mention this just because they look fabulous and Fear Not Tarantulas has them at a great price!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Thanks everyone. What size would you recommend? Is 2" good? And is A. Geniculata good also? I mention this just because they look fabulous and Fear Not Tarantulas has them at a great price!
2" is the PERFECT size. Accanthoscurria geniculata is a pretty good choice, but they are far more bold and feisty than the other beginner tarantulas. They think EVERYTHING is food, and their urticating hairs are horrific. I would still recommend G. pulchripes, because they look very similar to the genics and are far more calm. But hey, genics are awesome. They grow like monsters.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you remember to always keep your fingers/hands very well away from the spider when feeding or doing maintenance, my vote would be for A.geniculata, simply because of their coloration. But G.pulchripes is also a good choice :)

Jpeg

Arachnopeon
My vote goes to A. geniculata. They're feisty but great great GREAT display tarantulas.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I love seeing GBB agreed as a great beginner T personally.

They are kinda "flighty" and def love to flick hair but thats all part of keeping.

I like it as a 1st T cause you'll likely get the full experience
Hair flicking
Crazy webbing
Terestrial tendancys
Arboreal traits
Taste of speed
Amazing color
Great appetite
The list is really endless w/GBB's IMO

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
C cyaneopubescens and A geniculata are both really great beginner ts. They make really good displays, aren't boring pet rocks, and will never turn down food unless near a molt. They're also really low maintenance(genics like it more on the moist side while gbbs prefer it bone dry. Just dont handle though