Best Beginner Pede?

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
I am totally new to myriapods and I'm looking for a kind of centipede that :

Is easy to leave for vacation (no humidity levels to take care of daily)
can be completely set up for $100 (including pede)
and will not cause excruciating pain.

Don't know if I'm asking a lot of this centipede, but please give me your ideas on what would best fit these criteria. Thanks!

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Scolopocryptops sexspinosus. They can get up to 4 inches too so they're nice to look at

NYAN

Arachnoking
Scolopendra viridis, Scolopendra polymorpha, Rysida longipes, And Ethmostigmus trigonopodus.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Rhysida longipes is a very humid species. I asked for a dry species.
My mistake. Humidity isn’t really relevant in centipede keeping though. Substrate moisture is all that matters. You can maintain moisture levels in a moist species for several weeks to a month, so I wouldn’t disqualify keeping a species that requires moisture simply because you go on vacations.

Glad you seem to appreciate the other suggestions though.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
My mistake. Humidity isn’t really relevant in centipede keeping though. Substrate moisture is all that matters. You can maintain moisture levels in a moist species for several weeks to a month, so I wouldn’t disqualify keeping a species that requires moisture simply because you go on vacations.

Glad you seem to appreciate the other suggestions though.
sorry, didn't mean to be rude.

I'm thinking Scolopendra polymorpha, and there are really no care sheets I could find. It is kind of confusing how to care for pedes. I was thinking a 10 gallon tank with 4 inches of eco-earth and maybe some peat moss for it to hide under? Is this all I need? I don't need a heat pad, or anything?

NYAN

Arachnoking
sorry, didn't mean to be rude.

I'm thinking Scolopendra polymorpha, and there are really no care sheets I could find. It is kind of confusing how to care for pedes. I was thinking a 10 gallon tank with 4 inches of eco-earth and maybe some peat moss for it to hide under? Is this all I need? I don't need a heat pad, or anything?
That would be a wise choice. Care sheets for centipedes are usually pretty outdated. You are best avoiding them. Don’t use only coco fiber as a main substrate ingredient. Mix it with sand, clay and small pebbles for the best mixture. Also, a 10 gallon tank is too big. The size of the enclosure will depend on the pede. Polymorpha has a variety of sizes. For a hide, use some cork bark. Also give it a water dish.

No heating or lighting is necessary.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
That would be a wise choice. Care sheets for centipedes are usually pretty outdated. You are best avoiding them. Don’t use only coco fiber as a main substrate ingredient. Mix it with sand, clay and small pebbles for the best mixture. Also, a 10 gallon tank is too big. The size of the enclosure will depend on the pede. Polymorpha has a variety of sizes. For a hide, use some cork bark. Also give it a water dish.

No heating or lighting is necessary.
is there such thing as too big? Won't he enjoy the extra space?

NYAN

Arachnoking
is there such thing as too big? Won't he enjoy the extra space?
Yes, but mostly for the sake of simplicity. They live most of the time under rocks and underground in burrows. Too much space makes it harder for it to find food and makes it less likely to be seen.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Yes, but mostly for the sake of simplicity. They live most of the time under rocks and underground in burrows. Too much space makes it harder for it to find food and makes it less likely to be seen.
Ok. Thanks!
I know I'm going back and forth, but would that setup work for rhysida longipes? 4 inches of sand, and sphagnum moss?

freewaffles

Arachnopeon
Scolopocryptops sexspinosus love to eat and are a really good size. I have 2 of them

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Scolopendra polymorpha, a desert sp, is the best imo, big but not too big, good appetite, cheap, common, and bulletproof as far as centipedes go