Best Beginner Arboreal Display Tarantula?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
You are probably right, just haven’t witnessed behavior comptely yet personally
. Mine are still slings like 1-1.5in so they aren’t out all the time. One stays hidden 90% of the time, one lives in a web tube outside the burrow curtain hide in hunting position that is kinda out on display 80% of the time. And the other is about 50/50 and is very skittish retreats down into burrow at slightest vibration or movement.
So far all 3 P. cambridgei have slightly different behavior and temperament, proves the point they are all individuals!
ahh my Cambridgei sling has been so reclusive. I feel a bit sad since it is so adorable as a sling! The peachy color on the limbs and contrasting dark is appealing.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
My a.avic has always been visible, even during molting. That being said, I only have a young sling.

Not beginner friendly but:
My H.mac is actually out pretty much every night like clockwork and stays out pretty much the whole night. I also often see it out during the day a lot. It is not a species I would recommend as a display since it has a reputation for hiding but it just goes to show that it depends on the spider's own "personality". My pokies have been pretty visible as well. Some have gone into hiding for premolt but others like my p.metallica and p.regalis have pretty much always been visible even during a molt.

My most "hidey" arboreal has been my "Feather Leg" but it is still pretty small.
My S.cal is also small and spends most of its time hiding. The S.cal will literally run circles around my H.mac when I startle it while it's out though. Never seen anything move faster. Being you also have both H.mac and S.cal would you say the S.cal is more nervous and bolty than the H.mac?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
My S.cal is also small and spends most of its time hiding. The S.cal will literally run circles around my H.mac when I startle it while it's out though. Never seen anything move faster. Being you also have both H.mac and S.cal would you say the S.cal is more nervous and bolty than the H.mac?
How’s that guy doing? Does he hide in a burrow?

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I would say the S.cal for sure is the more timid, though mine is also smaller than my H.mac. At night my H.mac would always come out even when ti was that size. I usually only see feet from the featherleg. IT made a pretty cool hide by moving the two pieces of wood over into this sort of "volcano" XD I want hoping it would web between them.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
How’s that guy doing? Does he hide in a burrow?
The little guy doing awesome, thank you. Yes it built a web tube and spends most of time inside. If disturbed at all while out it will literally run 3+ laps around the enclosure trying to find it's own burrow entrance. Crazy fast.

I would say the S.cal for sure is the more timid, though mine is also smaller than my H.mac. At night my H.mac would always come out even when ti was that size. I usually only see feet from the featherleg. IT made a pretty cool hide by moving the two pieces of wood over into this sort of "volcano" XD I want hoping it would web between them.
I like the sound of that volcano burrow system. I bet it looks pretty cool. Thanks for your reply!

Attachments

Royalty

Arachnoknight
I like the sound of that volcano burrow system. I bet it looks pretty cool. Thanks for your reply!
1593831943712.png here is a pic of it. It is made from natural wood.IT was two separate pieces but it managed to pull them together as a single cone. There is a back exit as well. Besides the fact that it is LIGHTNING fast when I went to rehouse it has otherwise not had a crazy feeding response and has not ever popped out and surprising me or ran laps. I am actually "kind of" a beginner and have not had issues. I do want to pull that part of the plant that has died but I suspect it is in premolt since I have not seen feet for about a week. You can tell that it does go out since there is that trademark arboreal poo on the wall haha

Also back to the main topic, I was told p.pulcher is a rather calm good arboreal tarantula- mine is nuts. Super bolty! I have pokies as well and none as bolty.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yeah, slings can be like that...but as they gain size, they typically stop hiding altogether. They are like the opposite of itminia, where you see young irminia, but adults can be ghosts.

I've literally never had a sub adult or adult cam hide.
Your "runt" has been very reclusive since her last molt. 😉

She mostly hangs out in the dark area under the log that she has surrounded with dirt curtains. A couple of times a week, she'll walk some laps around the enclosure and/or get a drink.

Still quite a stunner to look at, however.

AvicRugby09

Arachnopeon
Research is your best friend here! Avic avic and C. versicolor are good ones. Proper ventilation is key with a lot of these species.