Best Beginner Arboreal Display Tarantula?

GrimReaper

Arachnopeon
I want a tarantula that is arboreal and will be out and about a lot. Specifically, one which is more out than not and arboreal as well. A beginner species would be appreciated but if none fit the "beginner" requirement that is fine as well.

Thank you

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I want a tarantula that is arboreal and will be out and about a lot. Specifically, one which is more out than not and arboreal as well. A beginner species would be appreciated but if none fit the "beginner" requirement that is fine as well.

Thank you
A lot - how much is a lot?

I’ve raised many species of Avics and I’ll tell you “a lot” is highly variable and often is specimen specific.

You could end up with an Avic that turns the container into a web cloud and you’ll never clearly see it.

If you get an Avic, do the research BEFORE ordering, or your Avic could end up dead.

See my link below

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Arachnopeon
A lot - how much is a lot?

I’ve raised many species of Avics and I’ll tell you “a lot” is highly variable and often is specimen specific.

You could end up with an Avic that turns the container into a web cloud and you’ll never clearly see it.

If you get an Avic, do the research BEFORE ordering, or your Avic could end up dead.

See my link below
A lot as in the lines of GBB...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Avicularia avicularia, Caribena versicolor you have the potential to see out more but that is certainty not a guarantee.

basin79

ArachnoGod
My versi lass is out about 50% of the time. She'll be out for a few days and disappear for a few.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I'm not sure if the classification of this one has changed, but I used to see my Avicularia minatrix quite regularly, I didn't set it up in a display enclosure but it was rarely hidden in its plastic cereal container

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
A lot as in the lines of GBB...
No such thing. There aren’t many spiders period that are on display like a GBB. Definitely not any arboreals. If an arboreal is out 1/3 of the time you’re doing well. If it’s out 1/2 the time you got really lucky. Even when they are out it’s mostly at night.
I agree with a lot of the species already stated in, someAvics/Versicolor/Cambridgei
I did have a couple P. Irminia that werent completely “out” but spent a whole lot of time with it’s front half and legs poking out the tunnel/burrow. They looked awesome seeing their jet black and bright orange coming out it’s white webbing.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
No such thing. There aren’t many spiders period that are on display like a GBB. Definitely not any arboreals. If an arboreal is out 1/3 of the time you’re doing well. If it’s out 1/2 the time you got really lucky. Even when they are out it’s mostly at night.
I agree with a lot of the species already stated in, someAvics/Versicolor/Cambridgei
I did have a couple P. Irminia that werent completely “out” but spent a whole lot of time with it’s front half and legs poking out the tunnel/burrow. They looked awesome seeing their jet black and bright orange coming out it’s white webbing.
Yeah I agree out for a display arboreal is not really the same as a terrestrial.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Even if you had a versi that you only saw a few times a month, once adult you'll be so happy with that such is their beauty.

A few pics of my adult female (any excuse).
4B2780A4-0069-47DD-8BA4-76A13AF81896.jpeg 1256D4BE-B258-4959-A9F3-88702F3741F0.jpeg 49566B65-AE4F-4588-8A7E-91B43044AF2C.jpeg

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Except for cambridgei.
You are probably right, just haven’t witnessed behavior comptely yet personally
. Mine are still slings like 1-1.5in so they aren’t out all the time. One stays hidden 90% of the time, one lives in a web tube outside the burrow curtain hide in hunting position that is kinda out on display 80% of the time. And the other is about 50/50 and is very skittish retreats down into burrow at slightest vibration or movement.
So far all 3 P. cambridgei have slightly different behavior and temperament, proves the point they are all individuals!

cold blood

Staff member
You are probably right, just haven’t witnessed behavior comptely yet personally
. Mine are still slings like 1-1.5in so they aren’t out all the time. One stays hidden 90% of the time, one lives in a web tube outside the burrow curtain hide in hunting position that is kinda out on display 80% of the time. And the other is about 50/50 and is very skittish retreats down into burrow at slightest vibration or movement.
So far all 3 P. cambridgei have slightly different behavior and temperament, proves the point they are all individuals!
Yeah, slings can be like that...but as they gain size, they typically stop hiding altogether. They are like the opposite of itminia, where you see young irminia, but adults can be ghosts.

I've literally never had a sub adult or adult cam hide.

I will say though, they are more of an intermediate species than a beginner one as they are exceedingly fast and grow like dandelions in june. But theyre typically not really defensive or all that hard to work with/around.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yeah, slings can be like that...but as they gain size, they typically stop hiding altogether. They are like the opposite of itminia, where you see young irminia, but adults can be ghosts.

I've literally never had a sub adult or adult cam hide.

I will say though, they are more of an intermediate species than a beginner one as they are exceedingly fast and grow like dandelions in june. But theyre typically not really defensive or all that hard to work with/around.
Yeah i definitely expect them to come out more like you say! And within a pretty good time frame judging by growth. . They have all molted once and put on considerable size with the molts..amazing to see those jumps in sizes!

yeah they are definitely quick as hell! It’s pretty awesome to see that lightjing speed adaptation though!

I haven’t seen anything I would consider defensive either, they definitely prefer to retreat so far.

and so far with the P. irminia slings they all hide. They molted and I’ve yet to see how big they are, but they look like they put on some incredible size and look to not be sporting the early sling suits. they look like the characteristic black from what I have been able to see of the legs.

Royalty

Arachnoknight
My a.avic has always been visible, even during molting. That being said, I only have a young sling.

Not beginner friendly but:
My H.mac is actually out pretty much every night like clockwork and stays out pretty much the whole night. I also often see it out during the day a lot. It is not a species I would recommend as a display since it has a reputation for hiding but it just goes to show that it depends on the spider's own "personality". My pokies have been pretty visible as well. Some have gone into hiding for premolt but others like my p.metallica and p.regalis have pretty much always been visible even during a molt.

My most "hidey" arboreal has been my "Feather Leg" but it is still pretty small.