Best and Worse

jb62

Arachnosquire
Hi every one.

Right I am thinking of getting a G.rosea NCF as I have been told the RCF are too moody and highly defensive ..
So I'd like to know the best about the G.rosea and the worst ..
Looking forward to reading your replies.

John.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
Hi every one.

Right I am thinking of getting a G.rosea NCF as I have been told the RCF are too moody and highly defensive ..

John.
rosies are my least favorite tarantula and i have no idea why people say there good besides "there cheap" mine and many others are defensive most of the time and will seem nice other times there really confusing to me

but a adult would do goos in a 5 gallon (there would use much of is but its a nice size) anda adult should be eating 1-2 times a week (do not be alarm if it will not it its normal for rosies)

keep is dry with a water dish and a hide add decor if wanted

there very easy to take care of

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Although it varies with individual, this species is often unreliable in the temperament department.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rosea are an unpredictable lot, i will give them that, but i've had the pleasure to work with five very well mannered ladies (and two rather grumpy ones) over the years. i'm quite endeared to my maleficent, personally, so i will answer biased towards them.

do your homework, don't listen to the kid at the petstore that sells you it, and be prepared that the attitude it has at the time of purchase might not be the same as later at home, after a moult, or many years. i don't advocate handling so i don't really mind, and attitude wise nothing really is a sure thing. there are people on the boards that have docile "defensive" tarantulas of many sp. and vice-versa, like insane pulchripes or vagans.

the great thing is, if you decide on a rosea they are super easy to keep and there is an amazing amount of information on them here on the boards you can find using the search function.

Last edited:

jb62

Arachnosquire
Yeah I've read old threads on some forums and watched YouTube with the hands on here's my tame rosea lol..
And I know they have a split second mood swing..
So apart from being cheap.. what really makes us buy them?.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
EDIT: answering the last Q in aboves post(forgot to quote)

Cant answer for anyone else, but have one cuz it was the first T i ever had(16 years ago), and the The T that made me wanna continue collecting....so i always have to have one, or seven:}....and also because they are so darn unpredictable, and fun to watch....whats she gunna do next? dig a hole...then fill it in....rearange it this way?, then completley bulldozer it again?...or jus leave it all be??...who knows?......sooooo many variables to your question

seezilla

Arachnopeon
Hi every one.

John.
I've have Rozilla (my G. rosea) for about three months. I love her. She was my first T and will always hold a special place in my heart. I've seen her act super defensive, be super docile and then be something somewhere in between. I respect all of her moods. I think that's just how some Ts are, regardless of species or genus, sometimes they do things we don't understand and we just have to respect that. If you respect your T, you should be fine no matter what it's temperment is.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah I've read old threads on some forums and watched YouTube with the hands on here's my tame rosea lol..
And I know they have a split second mood swing..
So apart from being cheap.. what really makes us buy them?.
People buy them because they're the most available species (generally) in pet stores. Some people see them, and go 'Oh, that's neat', and just buy it on the spot. I imagine that's how they got so popular. There were just a LOT of WC specimens, then lots of babies that made it to hobbyists and pet stores... so on and so forth.

Just my two cents on it.

Sodaboy1978

Arachnopeon
I think there neat in there own way. I have seen em held and watch webbing pulled from their butts. I have seen em slap the crap out of tongs. I have seen em put holes in a finger. I have seen em take down three crickets at one time. I think there cool.
I have yet to see a G. Rosea sing like Hana Montana or Pole-dance.{D

jb62

Arachnosquire
So has any one found the RCF more defensive then the NCF ?.
Are females better then males or doesn't that matter with the personality changes?.
And why are so many shown on YouTube being handled if they are so offish !.
I agree they are cheap to buy and I can't see why they are imported when they are being bred very easy.
How many have handled and had a nice one turn moody and what do you think made it happen?.

Dexity

Arachnopeon
I have a 1 inch g rosea, the first time I went to handle it, it grabbed and bit my temperment testing chopstick!!! but since then it has done nothing of the sort. I have noticed with all of my T's no matter the genus, sometimes they are just in a bad mood.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
My 1" RCF has never acted defensive or agressive, really easy to handle but it never wants to go home.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So has any one found the RCF more defensive then the NCF ?.
Are females better then males or doesn't that matter with the personality changes?.
And why are so many shown on YouTube being handled if they are so offish !.
I agree they are cheap to buy and I can't see why they are imported when they are being bred very easy.
How many have handled and had a nice one turn moody and what do you think made it happen?.
They are imported because it takes them forever to grow. I think it can be like 3 to 4 years for them to reach adult size. When you figure up how long it takes to raise them, once they reached adult size they would cost a lot more than an imported one from a petstore.

I have a NCF and a OCF (as I like to call it, not quite red, but has orange coloration). The NCF was super docile up until it molted, then it went all crazy on me. The "OCF" on the other hand, has always been skittish and a very aggressive eater.

jb62

Arachnosquire
They are imported because it takes them forever to grow. I think it can be like 3 to 4 years for them to reach adult size. When you figure up how long it takes to raise them, once they reached adult size they would cost a lot more than an imported one from a petstore.

I have a NCF and a OCF (as I like to call it, not quite red, but has orange coloration). The NCF was super docile up until it molted, then it went all crazy on me. The "OCF" on the other hand, has always been skittish and a very aggressive eater.
so was it the same no matter how many molts it had?.
I've been told there's a normal colour form ( grey ) a red colour form and the orange'sh one.. and they can all come from one clutch.
Just wondering if it's the like adult change that turns them odd!

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so was it the same no matter how many molts it had?.
I've been told there's a normal colour form ( grey ) a red colour form and the orange'sh one.. and they can all come from one clutch.
Just wondering if it's the like adult change that turns them odd!
Both of mine were already adults and only that one has molted so far, and only once, but they are known to have mood swings between molts.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep a couple rosies - I got them as tiny slings, and enjoyed watching them grow. I think they're attractive and easy to keep. I'm really not concerned about how common they are, and I'm not into handling any of my animals beyond having to maintain them, transfer them, etc., so it doesn't matter to me whether they have "nice personalities" or not. What I do like about them is that I can see them almost all of the time - as compared to a couple trapdoor spiders that I dig out of their burrows every year or two just to see if they're still alive.

jb62

Arachnosquire
Well all the kind info has shown me that not all rosea are mean or evil.
And once the bts expo comes round next year I'll be having a good hard long look at all for sale..
Thanks to every one that took the time to pass on the help and advice.
I'm truely grateful.

John