Best active breed?

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
I am looking for a T that is active, something that can entertain me by watching it in its tank. If its colorful, that would be an added bonus. Can briefly handle once im a while for tank maintenance. Any suggestions?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
My C. Cyaneopubescens is always out and about webbing everywhere, she's very colorful, but I wouldn't personally recommend handling any T, that's preference though, if you did choose too handle A GBB keep in mind they are generally rather skittish, mine throws up a threat display now and then.

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Hm, from what I've read and observed, the most "handleable" ones aren't usually super active.

That said, the GBB is definitely active and colorful. I wouldn't handle mine, though.

If you just want a T that is fun to watch, look for ones that stay in the open and have strong feeding responses. For example, genics are awesome because they're always visible and always voracious.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I agree with @magicmed, the C. cyaneopubescens is quite a looker and does a lot of web work on their enclosures. All personal preference though, lately I've been in love with my G. pulchra. The jet black is just mesmerizing to look at.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Buy a female Acanthoscurria geniculata... they have everything: size, "Slimer" appetite, are always out in the open, easy to care, suitable for (almost) everyone etc you can't go wrong, man.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I would also recommend a GBB or a genic; mine are both out and about pretty much all the time and have crazy feeding responses. However, I wouldn't suggest handling either of them. C. cyaneopubescens is generally very skittish and very quick for a NW terrestrial and A. geniculata assumes anything that moves near it is automatically food and will respond accordingly, so your fingers would likely end up becoming a snack.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay, first off, there are no breeds of spiders. There are species. Very big difference.

Secondly, as has been said, no tarantula enjoys being handled. To them, you are a giant intruder that is forcing them out of their home. Handling benefits you and only you. If you are alright with this, then here we go.

A. geniculata would be an absolutely terrible choice if you want to ever handle. It's already been said that they assume everything is food, and that wasn't an exaggeration. You will get bit, no question. A C. cyaneopubescens is also not great because of how skittish they are.

Unfortunately, the spider you want does not exist. The docile ones willing to be handled are also generally the pet rocks of the hobby. A. chalcodes comes to mind. So, if you want to handle, here are a few options. But keep in mind that they are generally pet rocks.

G. pulchra
A. chalcodes
E. sp. "Red"
B. emilia
B. albopilosum

If you're willing to abandon the idea of handling, there are some amazing species out there. They're just not all very tolerable of intruders.

Honestly though, look into getting a lizard or something. Tarantulas don't really fit what you want out of a pet.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am looking for a T that is active, something that can entertain me by watching it in its tank. If its colorful, that would be an added bonus. Can briefly handle once im a while for tank maintenance. Any suggestions?
This doesn't exist in Ts, get a different type of animal.

Too many subjective terms and words w/out clear definition such as "entertain".

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
As far as active tarantulas are concerned, I have yet to find one more active than the E. So. Red, they are constantly on the move, now if you mean entertaining as far as feeding reactions go, GBB, A. Geniculata, and B. Sabulosum are all species that, at least in my opinion, have very interesting feeding responses.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
one of my fav tolerant, colorful species is B emilia. i recommend you check it out.

Tarantulas really arent animals you can watch and entertain yourself. they dont move very often. i rarely see my spiders move. if a tarantula is walking around a lot, its either stressed or a Mature Male.

Last edited:

tetracerus

Arachnosquire
Okay, first off, there are no breeds of spiders. There are species. Very big difference.

Secondly, as has been said, no tarantula enjoys being handled. To them, you are a giant intruder that is forcing them out of their home. Handling benefits you and only you. If you are alright with this, then here we go.

A. geniculata would be an absolutely terrible choice if you want to ever handle. It's already been said that they assume everything is food, and that wasn't an exaggeration. You will get bit, no question. A C. cyaneopubescens is also not great because of how skittish they are.

Unfortunately, the spider you want does not exist. The docile ones willing to be handled are also generally the pet rocks of the hobby. A. chalcodes comes to mind. So, if you want to handle, here are a few options. But keep in mind that they are generally pet rocks.

G. pulchra
A. chalcodes
E. sp. "Red"
B. emilia
B. albopilosum

If you're willing to abandon the idea of handling, there are some amazing species out there. They're just not all very tolerable of intruders.

Honestly though, look into getting a lizard or something. Tarantulas don't really fit what you want out of a pet.
Exactly what he said. OP, also keep in mind that the docile species that are usually "handleable" can have different temperaments depending on the individual. My A chalcodes used to kick hairs more eagerly than most. As in, buying these species is not a 100% guarantee you'll get one that is docile.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Exactly what he said. OP, also keep in mind that the docile species that are usually "handleable" can have different temperaments depending on the individual. My A chalcodes used to kick hairs more eagerly than most. As in, buying these species is not a 100% guarantee you'll get one that is docile.
Exactly, my A. chalcodes is rather quick to threat pose me, but doesn't kick.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
Handling isnt a big deal for me with a T, and by entertain, i meant a species that is the opposite of a "pet rock". A very active one in its tank would be really nice, same with a good feeding response.

cold blood

Staff member
:troll:

A happy t, isn't active.

Go buy a MM, its what you are looking for as MMs wander...but their days are also numbered once they mature.

Lessej

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't go for the handling variety as it sounds like you want to watch your tarantula do tarantula stuff. In that case I would go for the webbers/aggressive eaters. The previous posts outline some good species for that. :eek:

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I should have stated this better (multitasking is difficult): The E. Sp. red is constantly rearranging. When my old female was still alive every few days I would find elaborate tunnels, but she never stayed within the burrow. E. Sp. reds are by no means pet rocks, nor are they constantly trying to find a way out like mature males of every species, however most E. Sp. reds that I know of walk out of their enclosures constantly as if curious, where as males of every species come out likely eager to mate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Handling isnt a big deal for me with a T, and by entertain, i meant a species that is the opposite of a "pet rock". A very active one in its tank would be really nice, same with a good feeding response.
Handling is a big deal for a T though. It's not a good thing to do. They are all pet rocks. You are talking about animals that live in a burrow for most of their life. I don't think you have a good grasp on T behavior.

You want to see a more active, but exotic animal, some species of lizard would do.

Tittysprink

Arachnopeon
About the handling, i meant i dont mind the fact that i cannot handle the T. Some of the species are more of pet rocks than others from what ive read about the more docile species.

Neot

Arachnopeon
You might like Euathlus sp red, but it's not quite colorful. I wish I could find it in my country.

Last edited: