Best active breed?

basin79

ArachnoGod
OP get yourself some large predatory ground beetles. Anthia sp. They're active and great to keep.

The words tarantula and active don't really go hand in hand.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
The words tarantula and active don't really go hand in hand.
I can agree and disagree with that statement. Lol!

@Tittysprink
Dependent on one's definition of "active", a specific species or the stage of life in question.
Most people are up during daylight hours and inverts are in "rest" mode. IMO, night time is best to see them "active".
"Handling", which I'm against, is up to the individual keeper's taste. Some do, occasionally handle, most won't /don't.
As to a recommendation, given your stated criteria, consider a Phrixotrichus scrofa. Often overlooked as a "beginner" species, docile, not skittish, very inquisitive, small (rarely hit 4" DLS) and a good feeding response. IMO, a smaller version of the B. vagans in coloration terms. I've a MF, monster @3 1/2"" that even during daytime hours, is often seen mulling about. At night, usually rearranging the plastic leaves or some of the sphagnum moss. Won't give you decades of keeping joy, females are generally a 12-15 year lifespan from my research.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can agree and disagree with that statement. Lol!

@Tittysprink
Dependent on one's definition of "active", a specific species or the stage of life in question.
Most people are up during daylight hours and inverts are in "rest" mode. IMO, night time is best to see them "active".
"Handling", which I'm against, is up to the individual keeper's taste. Some do, occasionally handle, most won't /don't.
As to a recommendation, given your stated criteria, consider a Phrixotrichus scrofa. Often overlooked as a "beginner" species, docile, not skittish, very inquisitive, small (rarely hit 4" DLS) and a good feeding response. IMO, a smaller version of the B. vagans in coloration terms. I've a MF, monster @3 1/2"" that even during daytime hours, is often seen mulling about. At night, usually rearranging the plastic leaves or some of the sphagnum moss. Won't give you decades of keeping joy, females are generally a 12-15 year lifespan from my research.
It definitely does come down to what you see active as. Personally I see crickets as active. Always on the go and up to something.

That's why I typed what I typed. Beetles would fit this requirement far better than a T. Me personally I just love the fact my B.Smithi girl is 99.9% of the time out in the open. Even completely still she's a sight to behold and appreciate.

It almost seems an oxymoron to say an active tarantula (bar a randy male).

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
It definitely does come down to what you see active as. Personally I see crickets as active. Always on the go and up to something.

That's why I typed what I typed. Beetles would fit this requirement far better than a T. Me personally I just love the fact my B.Smithi girl is 99.9% of the time out in the open. Even completely still she's a sight to behold and appreciate.

Randy male? Then saw you live in England. Lmao!
I agree with the beetle statement. Many come looking for a T with certain parameters and it doesn't exist. P. scrofa was the closest species I have and would recommend to get. I wouldn't recommend a GBB as a first T, just too skittish, especially a sling. IMO
Yes, I like my B. smithi also and until a month ago never flicked hairs. A true hobby favorite.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Handling isnt a big deal for me with a T, and by entertain, i meant a species that is the opposite of a "pet rock". A very active one in its tank would be really nice, same with a good feeding response.
Get a C. cyaneopubescens. They rarely use their hide. They web up the whole enclousre and are good eaters. Give them an oversized (width and length) enclosure with lots of fake plants and cork bark pieces for best results. They are also easy to take care of with no humidity requirements (simply give them a water bowl).

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord

I agree completely about the B. Smithi. Mine sits out in the open except when it eats a meal. It is like a great portrait waiting to be viewed....worth every dollar I spent on it.