Behavior and Death?

Tired Teacher Vibes

Arachnopeon
I set up an enclosure to hopefully grow out my isopods, but they've yet to populate and are slowly dying off.
  • I cleaned off the plants/roots (incase of pesticides or pest bugs) before planting.
  • I used substrate from a previous, healthy set up. With some fresh substrate (untreated/no fertilizer).
  • The sphagnum around the fern is for humidity/wet spot.
  • I've been letting the wet spot dry out a bit (not completely) before watering the creeping oak.
  • It's a critter keeper, so the lid is nothing but ventilation.
I added some mealworm beetles to the tank (so my crickets wouldn't eat them) and they ONLY hang out on the wood and refuse to go anywhere else.

I have no idea why the isopods keep dying and why the beetles won't leave the wood. I must've messed something up, I feel like the beetles refusing to leave the wood is a sign something's up with the substrate?

Enclosure.jpg

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
You didn't mention anything in the substrate that isopods actually eat.
What do they eat again decaying leafs and wood and other bugs ? Or something… yeah no food source explains it you’ve found the problem !! :cool:

Tired Teacher Vibes

Arachnopeon
You didn't mention anything in the substrate that isopods actually eat.
My bad, I do feed them.

I add dying leaves from other plants, carrots and potatoes (take out after a couple of days), and different fish foods. I added dry oatmeal once I put in the beetles too.
It's definitely not a lack of food.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My bad, I do feed them.

I add dying leaves from other plants, carrots and potatoes (take out after a couple of days), and different fish foods. I added dry oatmeal once I put in the beetles too.
It's definitely not a lack of food.
Can you get a side view picture, and maybe a close up of the tiny isos? How deep is the substrate these things are very moisture dependent as you already know. Good luck. ;)

Tired Teacher Vibes

Arachnopeon
Can you get a side view picture, and maybe a close up of the tiny isos? How deep is the substrate these things are very moisture dependent as you already know. Good luck. ;)
Substrate is 4 inches on the side with the creeping oak and about 2 inches with the peacock fern.

Soil Mites? are fine. But the beetles REFUSE to leave the wood and I haven't seen any isopods not on the wood either.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Substrate is 4 inches on the side with the creeping oak and about 2 inches with the peacock fern.

Soil Mites? are fine. But the beetles REFUSE to leave the wood and I haven't seen any isopods not on the wood either.
Been ages since I tried keeping isopods and it didn’t end up well i had to much ventilation and it dried out too fast , rookie mistake . Not tried it again yet ! :sad: We’re doing fine wetter .

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
What type of isopods are they? Also what type of leaves are you using and sourced where?
Try adding a slice of cucumber.