Beginning my journey with Pandinus imperator

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
I wish could get the emperor scorpion from Ken the Bug Guy but I checked my old 10 gallon tank and its cracked so I can't house him in that. :( All I have are plastic bins and what not and I don't think that is acceptable to keep it in, even if only for several weeks. I still have to buy all the other lamps, heating sources, etc. So by the time I do all that the scorpions will probably be all gone. :depressed: I don't want to rush and give the scorpion a subpar environment, its well-being always comes first, so I need to take my time and get the right setup like Eddie2Dynamite has, which is a really nice setup by the way, that's what I'm aiming for.

I hope that the seller will get more in stock sometime this year because I'd love to raise a genuine Pandinus imperator for my first scorpion.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
Take my advice with a grain of salt. As stated I still dont have my emp. I have been experimenting with my tank and humidity ect for the last 2 weeks. I have a 30x12x12 zoo Med 20 gallon tank. I currently have 16 quarts of coco fiber in the tank and have 3 different temp/hygrometers in the tank. Get rid of these as they are super inaccurate and you will drive yourself absolutely crazy with trying to maintain humidity in the tank.

I decided to go bioactive and ordered the following from Josh Frogs. This should help maintain humidity with a lot less maintenance. The cocofiber dries out rather quickly with the 75w heat light on a stand that I can raise and lower to help adjust temps. I added the light cuz I couldnt get the warm side temp up at all with the mat and the tank is rather large for a single emp. (Tank was a left over from a juvenile beardy I had some years ago before getting a larger tank for him as he got older). I also got Josh's Frogs Dechlorinator Tap Water Conditioner because I went through a gallon of purified water in a few days. Adding 2 drops of the dechlorinator to a 1 gallon jug will make the water safe for emps and save money continuously buying water for humidity.

Like I said, I am brand new and this is just from research and experimenting so if any more experienced person wants to jump in and lay out some corrections, feel free to jump in.

Josh's Frogs False Bottom - LECA (5 Quarts)JF00516$7.33Ordered: 5
Shipped: 5
$36.65
Temperate Springtail (Collembola) 8 oz CultureJFC81577$7.99Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1
$7.99
Josh's Frogs BioBedding Tropical Bioactive Substrate (10 quarts)JFB00763$19.99Ordered: 2
Shipped: 2
$39.98
Fern Bundle 5-PackPLANT033$17.99Ordered: 1
Shipped: 1
$17.99
Substrate Barrier (24"x18")JF00652$1.99Ordered: 2
Shipped: 2
$3.98

That setup looks great! You obviously put a lot of time and effort into it, and that's what I need to go for, something along those lines. I am going to take my time and build it as I can afford it and get the scorpion when I have the setup and know how to regulate it, kind of like how you've done. I love the skull you put in there! Will look really awesome with a big emperor scorpion crawling on its head! Thanks a lot for showing all this, it is very helpful!

Eddie2Dynamite

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all the compliments. This is a first time build that is going to get a remake tomorrow when I receive the parts I need for the bioactive setup tomorrow. Don't stress to bad about not having the scorpion yet. I ordered mine on October 7th with overnight shipping and have yet to receive an email stating that the thing has even shipped. In fact I called today.... again.... and they told me they were unable to ship it out yet again. If I don't get a valid tracking number by tomorrow evening and a confirmation of shipment, I will be perusing the issue with my credit card company. I HIGHLY recommend that if you plan on purchasing on the internet, you use a credit card and protect yourselves. The rules are not the same for Debit cards vs credit cards when it comes to online purchases. Also, again, AVOID GOTREPTILES and Reptilecity. they are one in the same. Got Reptiles appears to be a rebranding they did to escape the HORRIBLE reviews of reptile city of people stating the exact same issues I am having. Im not trying to just bash the company here, but pass word so that you all can protect yourselves and avoid a negative experience. At this rate, I am going to get my Valve Index before the scorpion....

Ill post pics of the new tank setup once it has been updated with the new bioactive stuff.

Last edited:

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
I appreciate all the compliments. This is a first time build that is going to get a remake tomorrow when I receive the parts I need for the bioactive setup tomorrow. Don't stress to bad about not having the scorpion yet. I ordered mine on October 7th with overnight shipping and have yet to receive an email stating that the thing has even shipped. In fact I called today.... again.... and they told me they were unable to ship it out yet again. If I don't get a valid tracking number by tomorrow evening and a confirmation of shipment, I will be perusing the issue with my credit card company. I HIGHLY recommend that if you plan on purchasing on the internet, you use a credit card and protect yourselves. The rules are not the same for Debit cards vs credit cards when it comes to online purchases. Also, again, AVOID GOTREPTILES and Reptilecity. they are one in the same. Got Reptiles appears to be a rebranding they did to escape the HORRIBLE reviews of reptile city of people stating the exact same issues I am having. Im not trying to just bash the company here, but pass word so that you all can protect yourselves and avoid a negative experience. At this rate, I am going to get my Valve Index before the scorpion....

Ill post pics of the new tank setup once it has been updated with the new bioactive stuff.

I'll be following your progress and following suit with a similar but original setup! And I guess there's only one useful way of looking at these bad experiences, to take note for everyone else so that it adds to the database of the community of who NOT to buy from. Then maybe we can start to make a database of good suppliers of Pandinus imperator who are authentic and do reasonable business. So far Ken the Bug Guy and Pinchers and Pokies seem to be the reputable suppliers? Maybe at some point we start a thread of authentic suppliers if there isn't one already. But I definitely admire your setup, that will be one happy scorpion I would imagine. You going to house more than one in there or..? Really like the skull that is badass. I want to find some stuff like that but of course a little different than yours so I can also be original. I may be a beginner, but you set a damn good example as far as I can tell. Having it all setup like that beforehand and knowing what you're doing as far as its home is concerned. Shows that you respect the scorpion!

ErikElvis

Newb
I wouldn’t think to hard about the set up. I bought a small clear storage tote. Drilled about 10 holes in the lid on the opposite side of the heater, slapped a heating pad on the side added some moss and a piece of cork bark that they hide under. They have a water dish but never see them around it. I plan on upgrading to something like a 20 gallon when they get bigger but that’s a ways off. You could have all this stuff in a couple days between amazon and Walmart.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
I wouldn’t think to hard about the set up. I bought a small clear storage tote. Drilled about 10 holes in the lid on the opposite side of the heater, slapped a heating pad on the side added some moss and a piece of cork bark that they hide under. They have a water dish but never see them around it. I plan on upgrading to something like a 20 gallon when they get bigger but that’s a ways off. You could have all this stuff in a couple days between amazon and Walmart.
Did you get the two day shipping or the overnight? How much difference do think that makes? Do you think its vulnerable to die with the two day shipping vs. the overnight?

Eddie2Dynamite

Arachnopeon
I have attached some pics of the new bioactive tank setup. I hope this gives some ideas of how to set things up. The first pic is the original setup I showed before. The rest are the updated pictures. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I will try and give the best advice I can
. Tank 10-20-2019.jpg Tank-2.jpg Tank-4.jpg Tank-3.jpg Tank-5.jpg

I should be getting the scorp tomorrow so Ill post pics with the little guy in there. Im curious if this site will actually ship and emp or try to rip me off. Im leaning towards rip me off TBH.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
I did end up getting an Emperor Scorpion from Ken the Bug Guy, about two weeks ago and it came sometime last week. I almost didn't get one but Eddie suggested I should before they ran out, and I'm glad I did because now they are out! Thanks Ed! I was not able to get a great picture because it didn't want to stop moving and I didnt want to stress it out too much so I let it run into its little log cabin, but its obviously quite young.

photo_2020-11-09_23-25-59.jpg

Anyway, it loved to just hang out under that log but recently its dug itself an underground bunker. It seems like it did that after it realized I could pick the log up anytime i wanted, even though I only did that about once or twice. Ed said it was getting comfortable in its new home, I would agree, thats what it seems anyway, but i had read today about scorpions digging themselves an underground bunker in response to temperature, to cool off, and not to warm themselves up. Just wanted to get some extra opinions, I did not get the impression it was all that hot in there. There is certainly moisture in the air in its bin, and is a little bit warmer than my room which is about 70 degrees, but not all that warmer.

Should I be concerned if its spending too much time in its little bunker hideout? It has been eating little crickets and what not every few days, and I do catch it hanging out under the log when I go over to check on it sometimes, but it seems to go right back into its bunker when it knows I'm there. So maybe its just afraid of me and protecting itself in its new home until it realizes i wont hurt it?

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
I do catch it hanging out under the log when I go over to check on it sometimes, but it seems to go right back into its bunker when it knows I'm there.
Perfectly normal behavior of a healthy scorpion.
So maybe its just afraid of me and protecting itself in its new home until it realizes i wont hurt it?
Scorpions are usually skittish, they can't tell the difference between one human and another.
You need a dog or cat for that.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
Perfectly normal behavior of a healthy scorpion.

Scorpions are usually skittish, they can't tell the difference between one human and another.
You need a dog or cat for that.

You're right! It was out today and took a larger than usual cricket to eat and went back into its burrow, seems like Eddie was right, its making itself at home!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Good to see someone over coming their fears and seeing the fascination with these creatures!!! Curious was your Arachnophobia limited to just scorpions or other arachnids as well?

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
Good to see someone over coming their fears and seeing the fascination with these creatures!!! Curious was your Arachnophobia limited to just scorpions or other arachnids as well?
Yea, it really is a cool thing that I was able to do this.:) I was never exposed to scorpions growing up since I am in Massachusetts, but from the books I had, the pictures of the big black emperor scorpion scared me, they looked intimidating to me, even the other ones, cuz those stingers look really sharp! I had seen them in pet stores when i was in about 8th grade and they were fighting each other aggressively and jumping around whipping their tails around at each other, and that bolstered my fear and made me think they were aggressive, but now i realize its because they were all in a small enclosure and under full bright light so they were probably really stressed out, which is sad. :sad:

But many years later I saw this girl who had an emperor and it was crawling on her hand and being so calm. I know they can sting and pinch, so i am aware, but my fear has dissipated so much and watching this one grow up from a baby will probably help me grow into being used to its full size when it gets there because it will be a gradual process

I was also afraid of spiders, but only certain kinds. I think the tarantulas, the black widows, the brown recluses, and certain spiders with that black widow shape really freaked me out, but some spiders didnt bother me at all, strangely. I don't think I could do the tarantulas at this point but who knows, down the line I may see if I can overcome that fear too. That being said, I do still very much respect them and think they are beautiful creatures. I also have a thing about never killing spiders even if they come in my living space and freak me out a little. I just get the creepy crawly feeling thinking of having them crawling on me like that scene in Indiana Jones' Raiders of the Lost Ark, especially the tarantulas, but they are awesome creatures.

When I had that dream about the emperor scorpion, it inspired me, and I felt a connection to the scorpion, and started to read about them, and I bought this scorpion necklace, and they have a lot of symbolic meaning to me. I wrote up a whole thing about it. The more I became interested the more I thought that I really should just get one. Finally the opportunity presented itself and I took it, and funny thing was when i got it and I was unboxing it my heart was racing and I started realizing I was still kind of afraid. I put gloves on, but it was so small I kinda laughed at myself for having any fear, and I put it in its home and watched it and it went under its log. Funny thing was I was having dreams that night that it was crawling in my bed, and I was kinda getting freaked out, and I kept saying to myself "did I really buy a scorpion!"

That irrational fear began to subside after a few days, almost as if all the hidden fearful energy was just releasing itself from me. I fed it a few times and did fine. I actually really enjoyed watching it hang out under its log. Then I finally picked up the log and turned the light on so I could snap that picture but it wouldn't stay still so I let it go back into its log cabin, I didnt wanna stress it out too much. But then I really wanted to be around it and no fear at all. I dont feel any fear of it now.

And so after that, the fear just went away, and I actually love when it comes out of its burrow and I want it to come out all the time, but I can see that its obviously teaching me patience, and I'm just really excited to care for it now and watch it grow and live its life in a good home.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
My scorpion is eating crickets daily, and these ones are considerably bigger than the small ones I was giving it. I hope it grows into a big, healthy emperor scorpion. I hope that I'm not feeding it too much but it keeps taking the crickets I put in so it seems my scorpion is a hungry scorpion as of right now...

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
My scorpion is eating crickets daily, and these ones are considerably bigger than the small ones I was giving it. I hope it grows into a big, healthy emperor scorpion. I hope that I'm not feeding it too much but it keeps taking the crickets I put in so it seems my scorpion is a hungry scorpion as of right now...
If you're feeding it every day, be prepared for it to suddenly start refusing food and retreat underground, possibly for months. Most scorpions will eat like crazy and then when they've eaten their fill, will often basically disappear until they've moulted. If you want to avoid that, less frequent feedings will reduce the amount of time it spends hiding away waiting to moult. Of course frequency depends on the size of the prey items, so if the crickets are very small then one a day might be completely appropriate.

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
In some ways though, I kinda want it to moult, so it can get bigger and come out more often so I can see it. I have been wondering if its been getting ready to moult because of how much time it spends in its underground bunker. It occasionally comes out of the hole but still stays under that log. Although, today it was halfway out of the log in the open where I could see it, but it quickly ran back into its bunker when i came up to her home to look in and watch it. I'll keep feeding it just in case it wants its fill before a moult.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
In some ways though, I kinda want it to moult, so it can get bigger and come out more often so I can see it. I have been wondering if its been getting ready to moult because of how much time it spends in its underground bunker. It occasionally comes out of the hole but still stays under that log. Although, today it was halfway out of the log in the open where I could see it, but it quickly ran back into its bunker when i came up to her home to look in and watch it. I'll keep feeding it just in case it wants its fill before a moult.
Generally speaking you're not going to significantly speed up time between moults by overstuffing it - you're just going to increase the amount of time it goes without eating. Temperature will have a bigger impact on the time between moults. Keep it on the higher end of its temperature range and it will develop more quickly (with the trade-off that it may have a slightly shorter lifespan). Feed it constantly without also increasing the temperature, and you're just guaranteeing that later you'll be posting a thread worrying about why your scorpion hasn't eaten in three months :)

Nightshades555

Arachnopeon
Hahaha, I'll take your word for it! So slow down on the feeding? I been feeding it one sometimes two crickets a day. It takes it in its bunker I don't actually see it eating, but I'm assuming it is when the cricket is gone. I usually immobilize the cricket and it lays there and the scorpion takes it away.

Even still, I love caring for this little ancient and inspiring creature!

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Hahaha, I'll take your word for it! So slow down on the feeding? I been feeding it one sometimes two crickets a day. It takes it in its bunker I don't actually see it eating, but I'm assuming it is when the cricket is gone. I usually immobilize the cricket and it lays there and the scorpion takes it away.

Even still, I love caring for this little ancient and inspiring creature!
It really depends how big your feeders are, but you can kind of guesstimate the amount of food based on the scorpion's size. For a little one like this I'd be feeding it a maximum of one adult cricket equivalent per week, but obviously if your crickets are smaller you might space that out into two or three feedings. By the way, just because your baby is pulling the food inside, doesn't mean it's eating it all - they have been known to hoard a bit as babies because they're happy to eat scavenged food!