Beginners help please

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Ok, so im considering expanding my invert collection to include some scorps, but I'm finding a lot of conflicting information, between one or two sites I see the same species said to prefer mulchy moist areas, and then said to prefer sand. So I need help with;
1. Recommended beginner species
2. Dietary requirement, Canadian no dubia's :(
3. Habitat requirement,
4. General tips and tricks

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
Well, I'm not an expert but I've done some studies on Scorpions. I see you're wondering about substrate and wether or not you should use sand. It's really depending on the species. If it's a desert scorpion or a tropical scorp. The Pandimus imperator, a scorpion native to a more tropical enviroment for example should'nt live in a sandy enviroment since the sand will in time tear on it's exoskeleton from what i've read.

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
Oh, and I forgott to tell you about the scorps diet. You could give it pretty much the same food you would give your T's. Like crickets, grasshopper and and other smaller insects. Good luck with your Scorpions:)

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, considering the emperor, (p. Imerator) as my first. Looking up a fair few care sheets too
This works for me:
http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2008/03/20/pandinus-imperator-terrarium.html

Make sure you have sufficient substrate. I have now added some photos (plants) and it looks great.

As for differences in substrate, some scorpions are found in various habitats, e.g. C. gracilis [*], so you can keep such species in various ways.

[*] mango groves under wood/stones, under rotting wood in grass lands near rivers, in quite dry patches of grass under large stones, under stones near maize fields, rotting wood in coffee groves, wood piles near houses, etc.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
my first was a G.pulchripes, but any of the Brachypelma sp. will fit you fine if you want a calm and a somewhat slow T.

Do a search for care sheets, which will include tips and tricks. :cool:

I don't have any scorps, so all I can offer is T's.

Last edited:

Brandelmouche

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice care sheet, John bokma, i have one to on my site but P.imperator are easy to race up, just andle the humidity temp and substrat. good luck with.;)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What's available in Canada?? Just curious.

Hadogenes sp and Hadrurus sp are both very good beginer species. They are desert species so fairly warm(hot in Summer) and dry is good. The Hadogenes like it drier I use water dish filled weekly. Hadogenes are also shaped to hide under rocks and wil need a few flat stacked pieces to hide under. Substrate should be sand. Hadrurus like to dig and the substrate should be sand mixed with simthing to hold the borrow. I give mine a little more water, just let it dry out between waterings.

John

Last edited:

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon

John
So far from the main dealer I use (tarantulas Canada) They currently have Heterometrus spinifer and P. Imperator. Im leaning towards the imperator mainly because of it's reputation, the classic pet scorpion.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
If you do go with Pandinus/Heterometrus, probably the #1 mistake new keepers make is not using enough substrate. You want at least 5-6", preferably of cocofiber or something similar.

Dietary requirements are very loose. You can use pretty much any high-protein insects. Crickets, locusts, roaches (not sure if any species are legal there). If you have small scorps to feed and no small prey, you can just headcrush or cripple it, and they'll eat it regardless of size.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can also look into Centruroides gracilis. Anyone who wants one should definitely get one that was caught in the US, as the south american ones have stronger venom. I like them a bit more than Pandinus and Hadogenes because they aren't as reclusive.

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Reconsidered actually, the new first pick is H. Arizonisis, less bulky and intimidating, thus the missus is more approving, plus low venom potentcy, US species. Suffice it to say tho, I still have plenty of research to do

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Not enough John.
I'm currently looking into the import laws here in Canada.
Dosen't seem to be nearly as much "Red-Tape" as you guys in the US.

Hoping to bring in some Centruroides, and more Tityus Spp.

To the Original Poster.

You will be happy with the H. Arizonisis.
Although I wouldn't consider them less intimidating... the ones I have tend to be aggressive/defensive.
But they are active and great to watch!

Arachnethegreek

Arachnopeon
Two further questions, do any scorps posses urticating hairs? (desert hairy scorpion) and secondly, do scorps molt in one peice or several?

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
This isn't definitive, but I don't think any scorpions have hairs that cause irritation on contact.

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Afaik, they only have sensory hairs that do not normally come off.

Molts are in one piece, all at once. The "head" plate hinges up and they crawl out from there.