Beginners and OWs

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Recently, I've noted a new member to the hobby has went and gotten a few immature hots along with his or her NWs. I'm not going to point anyone because that's not what this thread is about. I've seen a few people defending the decision saying that so long as the keeper isn't completely incompetent and knows what they're up against, it's okay.

In my opinion no one should get a hot species that quick (Pokie, OBT). They need to become acquainted and comfortable with the NWs as young Ts and adults. This person seems to think they because the seem 'well mannered' that they shouldn't worry. Honestly, they seem pretty new with little knowledge or experience. I thought I would ask the boards what they think.

Edit: If you disagree with me please say so. I won't argue against you. I'm here to crowd source opinions and experiences.

Last edited:

creepa

Arachnoknight
All the Aussie tarantula keepers cant get newworld's in Australia but only native species and they are "hot", so why does everyone make such a big deal about oldworld's...
I dont see the big deal..., if a new owner buys for example a oldworld spiderling the experience of the keeper grows with the spiders growth.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Ive seen it in a couple people. Not that its bad. The cocky ones will get bit and learn the hard way, which is kinda sad but if thats what it takes....
The more sensible ones will have done research and know that sling behavior changes pretty fast and will be prepared for that. Either way, theyre learning.
I honestly prepared myself with all kinds of research on OBTs when i ordered online just because i know theyre a common freebie and didnt want to be caught off guard. Didnt need it in the end, but i can honestly say i could care for an obt if i had to at this point. Dont plan on it for a while because im a newbie. But. I could. If i had to. And thats whats important, IMO.

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
Perspectives are different and everyone is different. Some folks are overconfident in the transition and some are under confident. I think it's ridiculous to generalize. It's just one of a million things people just say should be an absolute but it's more like a guideline for the mass of mutant monkeys just like all assumed things. Strange and rather ironically, I assume that I may be the guy you're talking about as I made an immediate jump into Old Worlds. Granted, I did my research...nothing is like hands on learning and we grow as the Ts do, I don't think there is a perfect way to transverse into anything in life. You got the toes in the water kinda folks and the dive on in. Whatever, life isn't general and most of us fall into a grey area and must make your own decisions in an intelligent manner. I respect your opinion and totally agree in MOST cases however not all cases as some folks can handle and learn inherently better and faster than the general population. Always use caution and be prepared for anything.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
Perspectives are different and everyone is different. Some folks are overconfident in the transition and some are under confident. I think it's ridiculous to generalize. It's just one of a million things people just say should be an absolute but it's more like a guideline for the mass of mutant monkeys just like all assumed things. Strange and rather ironically, I assume that I may be the guy you're talking about as I made an immediate jump into Old Worlds. Granted, I did my research...nothing is like hands on learning and we grow as the Ts do, I don't think there is a perfect way to transverse into anything in life. You got the toes in the water kinda folks and the dive on in. Whatever, life isn't general and most of us fall into a grey area and must make your own decisions in an intelligent manner. I respect your opinion and totally agree in MOST cases however not all cases as some folks can handle and learn inherently better and faster than the general population. Always use caution and be prepared for anything.
You are not the member I am referring to but you seem to be accepting of criticism and while I'm not entirely for the idea of an OW one of the first Ts, I can respect you if your decision because it is evident that you know what your are getting yourself into.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't mean to be rude, but....

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
This question, again? Seriously @Socfroggy , type 'OW' and 'beginner' in the search function and you'll get your fill of how members think about this topic over years and years of the boards.

Also, it is not an open discussion if you state your opinion against your own question right at the start. By doing so you are shooting off any points against your question.

Give this horse a rest, please. :dead:

sasker

Arachnoprince
I think there are people who should not own tarantulas. Neither NW nor OW. Period. I was talking the other day with someone about my tarantulas and now he wants them too. However, keeping animals is just not for him. He bought a baby aquatic turtle and was surprised to discover that it quickly outgrew its aquarium, after which he released it in a nearby river where it now competes with the native and endangered European pond turtle :banghead:

Such people should not own tarantulas but they are most likely to purchase an OBT or other OW species. Luckily, there are a lot of sensible people on this planet who could keep OW because they respect them for what they are. And like @JoshDM020 mentioned, the cocky ones are the ones that are most likely to get bitten.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
Recently, I've noted a new member to the hobby has went and gotten a few immature hots along with his or her NWs. I'm not going to point anyone because that's not what this thread is about. I've seen a few people defending the decision saying that so long as the keeper isn't completely incompetent and knows what they're up against, it's okay.

In my opinion no one should get a hot species that quick (Pokie, OBT). They need to become acquainted and comfortable with the NWs as young Ts and adults. This person seems to think they because the seem 'well mannered' that they shouldn't worry. Honestly, they seem pretty new with little knowledge or experience. I thought I would ask the boards what they think.
You should be on your guard with any T , they can all turn on you if they really want to . They are of course wild animals , there maybe the few OBTs etc that appear better than others , but I wouldn't trust them .

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
All the Aussie tarantula keepers cant get newworld's in Australia but only native species and they are "hot", so why does everyone make such a big deal about oldworld's...
I dont see the big deal..., if a new owner buys for example a oldworld spiderling the experience of the keeper grows with the spiders growth.
I've heard arguments saying the growth of OWs surpasses the keepers experience; they grow too fast for the ol' experience grows as it grows arguembt to be viable.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Education is key. Experience is even more essential and is learned through keeping different species. However, if someone wishes to learn the hard way so be it. The best way to experience something is actually experiencing it right?

Everyone will always have an opinion on this matter and nobodys should be taken as gospel.

Everyone should look in depth as to the care of any animal they wish to keep. Not just tarantulas.

IMO if you read and watch as much as you can about all aspects of the species, it should give you a good idea of what can happen. Though the unexpected should still be expected. Again with both OW and NW.

These are wild animals and are unpredictable. Even new world species. Pretty much all species of Theraphosidae can move extremely fast. To be fair the only significant thing that really stands out to me between OW and NW is venom toxicity. But remember this is only my opinion

A lot of newbie keepers that start with OW Ts do fine as they have researched into husbandry. A lot of newbie keepers have not been so smart and ended up bitten or lost specimen.

Availability of species for sale in certain countries also comes into effect. Some countries it is very expensive to get the 'beginner' Ts. It is sometimes much more possible to get an OW species. Not everyone had the money to purachase 'Ladder of species' from NW to OW.

IME I found keeping my 1st and 2nd Ts as different animals so to speak. My first was a G. porteri that never moved and my 2nd was an extremely active and hissy H. gigas. The difference between the 2 was vast. This is why people suggest a ladder of species from NW to OW.

Personally I enjoyed the challenge of keeping such a T as my 2nd. It kept me on my toes and I learned how to care for it very quickly. Thanks to that gigas I am now obsessed with African species.

I have always extremely careful when dealing with any species, not just OW. The important thing isnt the species. Its who is caring for them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I've heard arguments saying the growth of OWs surpasses the keepers experience; they grow too fast for the ol' experience grows as it grows arguembt to be viable.
I hear his a lot too. But a lot can be learned between moults.

creepa

Arachnoknight
I see your point and i know they can grow realy fast...

But ow have that magnetic force on most of the new keepers because they are "cool" and "dangerous" so instead of telling them they cant handle them teach them.

When i was young every time my parents sayd you cant or dont i did the exact opposite and imo people here on the board sound like my parents regarding this topic with they're you cant's and dont's

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

But ow have that magnetic force on most of the new keepers because they are "cool" and "dangerous" so instead of telling them they cant handle them teach them.

When i was young every time my parents sayd you cant or dont i did the exact opposite and imo people here on the board sound like my parents regarding this topic with they're you cant's and dont's
That's true. Still, best to at least let people know of the dangers. I will always recommend raising a Psalmopoeus before picking up and OW arboreal.

@KezyGLA experience is only really gained firsthand during rehousing. Best to learn how to rehouse faster NWs before any OWs.

Socfroggy

Arachnoknight
I don't mean to be rude, but....

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
This question, again? Seriously @Socfroggy , type 'OW' and 'beginner' in the search function and you'll get your fill of how members think about this topic over years and years of the boards.

Also, it is not an open discussion if you state your opinion against your own question right at the start. By doing so you are shooting off any points against your question.

Give this horse a rest, please. :dead:
My apologies. I hope I'm not dissuading anyone from expressing themselves. I just wanted to state where I'm coming from while also broadcasting that I'm open to the input of others.

Deb60

Arachnosquire

Dont think I'd want to keep anything cool and dangerous, being an older lady ( or even when younger ) I think if your confident , know your stuff it could be done done , I personally can't see me getting into OBTs or Pokies , I wouldn't be confident with them .

Vermis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think there are people who should not own tarantulas. Neither NW nor OW. Period. I was talking the other day with someone about my tarantulas and now he wants them too. However, keeping animals is just not for him. He bought a baby aquatic turtle and was surprised to discover that it quickly outgrew its aquarium, after which he released it in a nearby river where it now competes with the native and endangered European pond turtle :banghead:
I know a guy who's like... anyone remember the old cartoon character Elmyra? A bit like that. Nice guy, do anything for you, loves animals of any type; but has little to no clue how to look after them, beyond playing with them (if playable) and thinking nice thoughts at them. Good thing his missus looks after their dogs' healthcare...

I dunno. I've said before (sorry Andrea) two of my first Ts were fast-growing psammy slings (not quite OW but still) and I think that, along with info and due caution gleaned from reputable sources, helped.

I'd still agree that initial experience with some NWs would be best, tho.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I know a guy who's like... anyone remember the old cartoon character Elmyra? A bit like that. Nice guy, do anything for you, loves animals of any type; but has little to no clue how to look after them, beyond playing with them (if playable) and thinking nice thoughts at them. Good thing his missus looks after their dogs' healthcare...

I dunno. I've said before (sorry Andrea) two of my first Ts were fast-growing psammy slings (not quite OW but still) and I think that, along with info and due caution gleaned from reputable sources, helped.

I'd still agree that initial experience with some NWs would be best, tho.
Agreed. Anyone with a OBT who doesn't know what a molt is get is in for some trouble.