Beginner to the Hobby! Questions regarding the Salticidae!

Hello everyone!

I am new to this hobby, and I want to be able to learn from as many that are experienced, as much as possible! I want to learn all that I must know in order to give my very first spider (and then the second, third and so on) the very best care that they need! My favorite spider so far is the Salticidae! I am wanting to have that as my first pet spider, before transitioning to a bigger spider such as the Grammostola Rosea!

Do any of you have experience with the Salticidae? What would you recommend before getting one? Also, what enclosures do you think would be best? Would something hand-made be preferable?

And what is better--to buy through breeders or websites? What would the websites be, or where can I contact breeders for these and other spiders?

Thank you so much in advance! I am so excited and can't wait to learn and get everything ready for my little Salticidae (that I am planning on getting in the near-future)!

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
First of all you are talking about Salticidae like it is a species, it is not, it is an entire family (Jumping Spiders), with over 6000 different species. Salticidae is my favorite family to keep. For your first jumper, I would recommend you catch a native species so that you don't have to worry about the temperature and humidity requirements that come with an exotic species. I would recommend starting with any spider from the genus Phidippus, the most commonly kept are Phidippus regius, and Phidippus audax. For enclosures a 32 oz deli container will work perfectly for an adult, and something smaller for a juvenile. If you are looking to buy, you could just google jumping spiders for sale, you could also try to buy one from someone on arachnoboards. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Yes I often keep making the mistake of naming the entire family instead of the species! :embarrassed: My bad!

Question, so catching a wild jumper vs getting one from a breeder would require different temperature and humidity requirements? How so, if they are both jumpers, esp. since in the wild any particular jumper could be any species of Salticidae? Please bear with me on these questions, I am really new but I am really eager to learn from many who are experienced (as well as trying to find helpful articles or videos online).

Thank you!

Lucky123

Arachnobaron
Yes I often keep making the mistake of naming the entire family instead of the species! :embarrassed: My bad!

Question, so catching a wild jumper vs getting one from a breeder would require different temperature and humidity requirements? How so, if they are both jumpers, esp. since in the wild any particular jumper could be any species of Salticidae? Please bear with me on these questions, I am really new but I am really eager to learn from many who are experienced (as well as trying to find helpful articles or videos online).

Thank you!
All jumping spiders belong to the family Salticidae. The reason I recommend catching a wild jumper instead of a breeder for your first is because some breeders might sell tropical species that need more humidity. But if you know what you are getting it should be alright. Whether you catch or buy I would recommend that you start with a Phidippus species they are large and hard to squish, have beautiful colors and patterns, and as long as you feed them regularly they will require no additional water (unless it gets really hot in your area).

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
There are many jumping spider classifieds groups on Facebook for some harder to come by types. An easy setup would be a 32oz deli cup with small air holes, coco fiber, and a fake plant.

All jumping spiders belong to the family Salticidae. The reason I recommend catching a wild jumper instead of a breeder for your first is because some breeders might sell tropical species that need more humidity. But if you know what you are getting it should be alright. Whether you catch or buy I would recommend that you start with a Phidippus species they are large and hard to squish, have beautiful colors and patterns, and as long as you feed them regularly they will require no additional water (unless it gets really hot in your area).
Thanks so much!!

There are many jumping spider classifieds groups on Facebook for some harder to come by types. An easy setup would be a 32oz deli cup with small air holes, coco fiber, and a fake plant.

Thanks!!

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member

Actually, you might want to be careful and avoid that. It is against Facebook's Terms and Policies to sell any live animal on their website. ;)