Beginner to Tarantulas, Have an A. Avicularia

Savanny

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! I recently acquired an A. Avicularia after a wild urge to get a tarantula. I have done research on them and believe I have a good set up for it, but to be safe, wanted to show those who have experience with them.
I've only had it for a little over a week. I fed it a cricket on Sunday, which it gobbled up quickly, then fed another one on Wednesday, which it again snatched up. It has a great appetite!
A couple of days ago, I noticed it had made a small funnel web behind the fake vines I have attached to the back of its enclosure. It's spent these past 2 days chilling inside, usually having its legs poking out of the top like the picture I provided.
I attempted to measure its legspan. I estimate it's around 1.5" or so. No idea on the sex yet. I think it's too small to tell right now?
So far in its enclosure I have about 1 inch of Eco Earth substrate with some sphagnum moss covering it, a hollowed out cork bark and driftwood for some anchoring points, fake vines which are attached to the back wall, and a water dish in the front right corner that I keep full.
Any advice or critique is welcome! This is my first tarantula and I want to make sure it has everything it needs!

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
keep sub dry, water dish full, and ditch that light and those gauges, they lead alot of keepers astray. as long as temps are 70+ its fine, dont follow humidity. great set up for a beginner. lots of ventilation. :)

Savanny

Arachnopeon
keep sub dry, water dish full, and ditch that light and those gauges, they lead alot of keepers astray. as long as temps are 70+ its fine, dont follow humidity. great set up for a beginner. lots of ventilation. :)
Sub is slightly damp right now, but should dry pretty quickly. I goofed and gave the enclosure a little mist a few days ago, but have since learned it isn't really necessary and so I stopped. I watch the dish like a hawk, don't worry! And I will remove the light and gauge asap! My house stays in the 73-75 range so it should be great temp wise. Thanks for the advice!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Sub is slightly damp right now, but should dry pretty quickly. I goofed and gave the enclosure a little mist a few days ago, but have since learned it isn't really necessary and so I stopped. I watch the dish like a hawk, don't worry! And I will remove the light and gauge asap! My house stays in the 73-75 range so it should be great temp wise. Thanks for the advice!
is that a 5 or a 10 gallon?

Savanny

Arachnopeon
nice, a Avicularia avicularia wont grow big enough to justify for a 10, that cage is good for life. :)
That's good to know. I read they grow anywhere from 4"-6", so I wanted it to have plenty of growing room. And I'm hoping with some time, it makes some neat webbing. I think it's still getting settled.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey guys! I recently acquired an A. Avicularia after a wild urge to get a tarantula. I have done research on them and believe I have a good set up for it, but to be safe, wanted to show those who have experience with them.
I've only had it for a little over a week. I fed it a cricket on Sunday, which it gobbled up quickly, then fed another one on Wednesday, which it again snatched up. It has a great appetite!
A couple of days ago, I noticed it had made a small funnel web behind the fake vines I have attached to the back of its enclosure. It's spent these past 2 days chilling inside, usually having its legs poking out of the top like the picture I provided.
I attempted to measure its legspan. I estimate it's around 1.5" or so. No idea on the sex yet. I think it's too small to tell right now?
So far in its enclosure I have about 1 inch of Eco Earth substrate with some sphagnum moss covering it, a hollowed out cork bark and driftwood for some anchoring points, fake vines which are attached to the back wall, and a water dish in the front right corner that I keep full.
Any advice or critique is welcome! This is my first tarantula and I want to make sure it has everything it needs!
It's nice to see someone do research on Avic housing, just 1 suggestion below.
Keep doing research, as someone new to Ts, welcome, and know Avics have a low tolerance for husbandry mistakes.

Cage furniture looks good. I'd find an alternative to that reptile 2nd generation Critter Cage screen top you have though. Ts get the tarsal claws stuck in screen, even arboreals can have this problem.

Also, while it wouldn't surprise if front-only ventilation would work, the key to a thriving Avic is a relevant amount of air exchange. A better setup would be ventilation that draws air in and another point for it to leave. However, the front screen may be enough depending upon the air currents in the room.

Moist/stuffy cages kill Avics, DO NOT read caresheets by the way. Those kill Avics too.

As for the light, that's an LED light from ExoTerra if I recall. They don't give off any heat that is relevant to Ts, keep it if you want to observe at night.

A. avic's typically 5-5.5", 6" would be a large adult female.

Webbing will be localized to a central area, unlikely to be spread all over the tank, BUT, never bet against mother nature ;)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
See my post above regarding the light. IF an ExoTerra LED, it's fine.

Savanny

Arachnopeon
It's nice to see someone do research on Avic housing, just 1 suggestion below.
Keep doing research, as someone new to Ts, welcome, and know Avics have a low tolerance for husbandry mistakes.

Cage furniture looks good. I'd find an alternative to that reptile 2nd generation Critter Cage screen top you have though. Ts get the tarsal claws stuck in screen, even arboreals can have this problem.

Also, while it wouldn't surprise if front-only ventilation would work, the key to a thriving Avic is a relevant amount of air exchange. A better setup would be ventilation that draws air in and another point for it to leave. However, the front screen may be enough depending upon the air currents in the room.

Moist/stuffy cages kill Avics, DO NOT read caresheets by the way. Those kill Avics too.

As for the light, that's an LED light from ExoTerra if I recall. They don't give off any heat that is relevant to Ts, keep it if you want to observe at night.

A. avic's typically 5-5.5", 6" would be a large adult female.

Webbing will be localized to a central area, unlikely to be spread all over the tank, BUT, never bet against mother nature ;)
I'll keep the screen top in mind. If I notice it crawling on the screen often, I'll find something else. So far, it's stayed mostly to the back of the enclosure in its web.

As for ventilation, I thought about additional holes, but I'm worried it would crack the tank. I have a ceiling fan on pretty much constantly that keeps the air circulated in my room. Would that be enough air flow for it?

I've been avoiding any care sheets, also. :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Savanny

That is actually a really decent enclosure for a first Avic owner.

The screen is what worries me though. They can chew through screen and get their tarsal claws stuck in it. You might want to change that out.
Also, I personally would not bother with the light since they are nocturnal anyway but that is me.

You might want to switch from that water dish to plastic souffle cups. They can be easily swapped out when they get scummed up instead of having to scrub that porcelain one.
Also you may want to suspend it mid way up down the road.

Welcome to the addiction. Let us know when your 1 becomes 50 ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I notice it crawling on the screen often, I'll find something else
You MAY NOT notice, if you don't watch it literally 24/7 in some manner then you won't notice, until you find your Avic hanging there, or missing a few legs potentially. It happens all the time.

It's much safer and smarter for you to be pro-active and NOT reactive in this situation. It's your T, and its life is on your conscious.

Savanny

Arachnopeon
You MAY NOT notice, if you don't watch it literally 24/7 in some manner then you won't notice, until you find your Avic hanging there, or missing a few legs potentially. It happens all the time.

It's much safer and smarter for you to be pro-active and NOT reactive in this situation. It's your T, and its life is on your conscious.
Would covering the screen in packing tape and poking holes for ventilation work?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Didn't look like a heat lamp to me, I just meant that tarantulas don't care for light.
You know, that's what I felt you thought, but I wasn't sure. I was actually surprised to read what you wrote, as I thought "surely he knows that's not a heat lamp!?!?" hahahah

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You know, that's what I felt you thought, but I wasn't sure. I was actually surprised to read what you wrote, as I thought "surely he knows that's not a heat lamp!?!?" hahahah
ive kept a few reptiles, i hope i know the difference. lol

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Definitely agree with everyone about the screen being risky. Are you pretty good with DIY projects? Because with a little google researching and a quick trip to the hardware store, you can make yourself a nice acrylic door with drilled holes. Surprisingly, acrylic is not very difficult to work with if you do it right. I do this with 10 gallon aquariums for pokie enclosures:)

In regards to cross ventilation, that can be tricky with a glass enclosure. But not impossible. Perhaps you can get a diamond drill bit and go REALLY slow and steady with it to make a few clean holes on either side. Might not really be necessary, but it's up to you if you're feeling creative/adventurous. I get that way sometimes. But I DO tend to break stuff occasionally:confused: