Beginner To Scorpions

happymeal

Arachnopeon
Hi all,

I am venturing into the world of scorpions. And I would like to a good beginner scorpion. I have no need to hold it, but I would like a good display Scorpion Any Suggestions?

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Welcome to the club happymeal.

A good "first" scorpion list wouldn't be complete without mentioning a Emperor Scorpion Pandinus imperator...the standard of many beginer's scorpions.

Although these are great first-time/beginner scorpions, "display" doesn't come to mind with a P. emperator...although they will help you in learning the basics of scorpion care with the added benefit of not being life-threatening should you get stung.

Below are my personal recomendations for a beginners first scorpion:

Pandinus imperator Emperor Scorpion
Pandinus cavimanus African Red-claw Scorpion
Heterometrus spinifer Thailand Forest Scorpion
Hadogenes troglodytes African Flat-rock Scorpion

These are my suggestions for you based on your experience level and safety. This is not to say that these are the "only ones" for a beginner...just my suggestions.

Good luck!

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by happymeal
Hi all,

I am venturing into the world of scorpions. And I would like to a good beginner scorpion. I have no need to hold it, but I would like a good display Scorpion Any Suggestions?
I've had an Emperor Scorpion before. They're very nice, beauitiful Scorpions. I'll hopefully be getting one again soon. I'm also buying something called a Yellow Creeping Scorpion (Opistacanthus apser.) It's slightly more colorful than the Emperor with it's yellow legs. According to my caresheet, its needs are similar to that of the Emperor as well.

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I keep a communal emperor tank right now, but only as a breeding experiment. I've never bred scorps before, so I wanted to try with something easy (relatively). But 'display' scorps they are not. If you give them what they want (good temp, good humidity), they'll show their gratitude by hiding all the time. From my experience the only active emp is a solitary male looking to mate.

If you've kept inverts before and mean what you say about not holding them, than I would recommend an H. spadix (or arizonsis, I just like spadix more). They're active, and less difficult to keep than emps because they don't need high humidity. Their sting hurts a little more, but it's nothing serious. And as voyeristic as this is, they always use their sting to kill prey--which is fun. Also, I prefer the look of desert setups. It's just a personal thing.

So that's my advice. Good luck.

PS. Be advised that in the scorpion trade there are many uninformed pet shop owners. Make sure you get a positive id before you buy anything. Emps are popular for big chain pet shops like PetCo because it would be hard to mistake them for anything deadly. H. arizonsis, on the otherhand, may have a distinct look, but to an 'untrained eye' (as condescending as that sounds) it could easily resemble something more dangerous.

Sorry to ramble,
Peace,
Chris

BugBoyX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just thought I needed to put in a vote for Desert Hairy Scorps. I have a "Black-top" hairy that is great! I was worried about having a tank with a scorp in it that would just hide all the time (like I've heard the Emporers and others do), but "Spike" is SUPER active. He's out everynight running around his enclosure, feeds great (really nails the crickets and roaches) and digs, digs, digs. He's got all kinds of tunnels dug through out the enclosure (a ten gallon tank), but just doesn't sit in them all the time. He's even out occasionally during the day. He's a desert scorp. so I don't need to worry about keeping him all humid (no mold, fungus gnats or nasty oders coming from the cage) he doesn't mind heat or cold (he's been as low as 60F during the winter and 100F during the summer) and the species is supposed to be very long lived (15-20yrs.). All in all a GREAT scorp. and one I would definitely recommend. He does have some down sides though. He's very aggressive and the stings hurt like hell, so he's not one to handle, but that's pretty much it. Oh yes, and they don't get really big like the Emps.......they top out at 4-6in., but make up for it with their activity and being out more often.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Great info for H. spadix. And what a great pet scorp! H. arizonensis does quite well in the same circumstances as well, but my humidity levels between them differ slightly from spadix. They are a little more concious about water, so I mist them a little less often.

adios,
edw. :D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes i also agree with desert hairy hadrurus spadix i have 4 of them so active they eat alot in front of you i received them for a christmas present last year in freezing tempetures my aunt had them sent 3 day delivery by accident and all 4 of them lived you have too like how sturdy they are.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by AGGRO
Just thought I needed to put in a vote for Desert Hairy Scorps. I have a "Black-top" hairy that is great! I was worried about having a tank with a scorp in it that would just hide all the time (like I've heard the Emporers and others do), but "Spike" is SUPER active. He's out everynight running around his enclosure, feeds great (really nails the crickets and roaches) and digs, digs, digs. He's got all kinds of tunnels dug through out the enclosure (a ten gallon tank), but just doesn't sit in them all the time. He's even out occasionally during the day. He's a desert scorp. so I don't need to worry about keeping him all humid (no mold, fungus gnats or nasty oders coming from the cage) he doesn't mind heat or cold (he's been as low as 60F during the winter and 100F during the summer) and the species is supposed to be very long lived (15-20yrs.). All in all a GREAT scorp. and one I would definitely recommend. He does have some down sides though. He's very aggressive and the stings hurt like hell, so he's not one to handle, but that's pretty much it. Oh yes, and they don't get really big like the Emps.......they top out at 4-6in., but make up for it with their activity and being out more often.
I believe that Emperor Scorpions like most arachnids are nocturnal. I know the one I had in the past would come out at night and roam around when all the lights were out. I just loved that Scorpion. It died if old age asnd I was devastated. I'll be getting a new Emp soon though. Plus I'm getting a Yellow Legged Creeping Scorpion as well.