Beginner Tarantula? B.Albiceps

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
Hello, am new here and am a newbie as well.

I would just like to ask a question,
I received a half inch Brachypelma Albicep sling yesterday.
My question is, is it a good beginner T?

And are there anything I should know about taking care of it?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's an excellent species to start with, and one that is not found too frequently relative to other species here in N. America.

Don't know your experience, treat it like a B. smithi and you'll be fine.

Have you ever owned a T before?

If not, I strongly recommend you read on this forum, and DO NOT read care sheets. They kill tarantulas.

Also, make sure you have a water bowl in there for your T to drink from.

They are slow growers.

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply sir. It's my first, very first, very very very first T.
So, it's not aggressive right? It won't bite me or anything? XD

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anything with a mouth may bite you, that's obvious. Each is unique, just like people. Some people are stupid, some smart etc

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In general, this species is not known to be defensive, so a bite is unlikely, unless you provoke it by handling/touching it.
Very good starter species, give it a wel ventilated enclosure, filled with substrate so the gap between substrate and lid is no more than 2 times the diagonal legspan. Give it a piece of bark or a half log buried halfway in the substrate for a hide, and a waterdish. Lids of peanutbutter jars make good waterdishes, as do the caps of waterbottles
Feed it prey that is roughly the size of its abdomen, as often as it will take it. Feeders can be roaches, crickets, mealworms (crush the heads!).

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
Don't read Care Sheets? Okay, noted. Am reading all sorts of things about Albiceps via google as of this moment. So I'll go read around arachnoboards as well.

Okay so they won't bite as long as they're not provoked, okay noted sir/ma'am. Substrate to lid = 2 times diagonal legspan. piece of bark for hide, waterdish.

Feed it same size as their abdomens and for mealworms, head must be crushed.

Thank you for the helpful advices sirs and madames. Anything else I should know about taking care of this lil baby?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Not sure if you've encountered this in your search, but B.albiceps have urticating hair patches like most New World T's. These hairs can be irritating/itchy on the skin, but can do damage when inhaled or stuck in eyes. They release these hairs by 'kicking' them loose. It looks like it is scratching its butt :D. If you see it, make sure your face is out of reach.
They also kick these hairs around in their enclosures as a line of defense against predators, especially when in pre-molt.

And euhm..thank you for the respect, but I am not a ma'am, lol. Andrea82 is good enough, just add a @ before it to tag me. ;)

Einlanzer

Arachnopeon
Duly noted sir, be cautious of urticating hairs and hope you don't mind if I tag you in the future for any concerns regarding the babies. (I didn't just receive one, I got 3 as a gift)

So far, they're uh, doing well in their little enclosures hehe ^_^

Thank you for all the tips!

cold blood

Staff member
This is literally the slowest growing species ive ever raised. Be prepared for long periods of inactivity and food refusal. I dont mind slow growers, but had it been my first, i would have worried a lot more. Getting it to just over an inch took alnost 2 years....once they got over 1.5" though, they became great eaters and growth picked up.

Pre kill prey was the only way i ever got them to eat as slings.

As juvies and adults, they are, or can be, very very skittish, they also flick hairs when disturbed.

But in the end its all worth it as theyre gorgeous. Id just suggest getting a second species so you have some activity to enjoy in the mean time.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Duly noted sir, be cautious of urticating hairs and hope you don't mind if I tag you in the future for any concerns regarding the babies. (I didn't just receive one, I got 3 as a gift)

So far, they're uh, doing well in their little enclosures hehe ^_^

Thank you for all the tips!
Haha, i'm not a sir either ;) i just meant that you can call me by my name instead of calling me ma'am, I know i'm almost 35, but i'm not THAT old :D

As for tagging me, sure, no problem ;)

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, am new here and am a newbie as well.

I would just like to ask a question,
I received a half inch Brachypelma Albicep sling yesterday.
My question is, is it a good beginner T?

And are there anything I should know about taking care of it?
Congrats! I have not been able to find these for sale

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Don't read Care Sheets? Okay, noted. Am reading all sorts of things about Albiceps via google as of this moment. So I'll go read around arachnoboards as well.

Okay so they won't bite as long as they're not provoked, okay noted sir/ma'am. Substrate to lid = 2 times diagonal legspan. piece of bark for hide, waterdish.

Feed it same size as their abdomens and for mealworms, head must be crushed.

Thank you for the helpful advices sirs and madames. Anything else I should know about taking care of this lil baby?
Tarantulas aren't aggressive (ok, S. calceatum notwithstanding).

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is literally the slowest growing species ive ever raised. Be prepared for long periods of inactivity and food refusal. I dont mind slow growers, but had it been my first, i would have worried a lot more. Getting it to just over an inch took alnost 2 years....once they got over 1.5" though, they became great eaters and growth picked up.

Pre kill prey was the only way i ever got them to eat as slings.

As juvies and adults, they are, or can be, very very skittish, they also flick hairs when disturbed.

But in the end its all worth it as theyre gorgeous. Id just suggest getting a second species so you have some activity to enjoy in the mean time.
It really is a good thing they are pretty and worth the wait for this beauty because I agree they are slower than a melting ice field when it comes to growth rate.
They are also the single most frustrating tarantula I own, mine eats 1 of every 5 meals I offer. I got mine 6 months ago at 1cm and its moulted once in my care and is still only 2 cm now it'll be my luck to get a female and in 15 years it'll still only be around 3" at this rate

cold blood

Staff member
It really is a good thing they are pretty and worth the wait for this beauty because I agree they are slower than a melting ice field when it comes to growth rate.
They are also the single most frustrating tarantula I own, mine eats 1 of every 5 meals I offer. I got mine 6 months ago at 1cm and its moulted once in my care and is still only 2 cm now it'll be my luck to get a female and in 15 years it'll still only be around 3" at this rate
Yeah, really frustrating as a sling. Sometimes it would eat once between molts, which were 6 months apart and yielded no growth. Once, at just under 1/2", one of mine, the one pictured, went 177 days between meals....man it was so tiny, and never plump (the whole time as a sling) I have no idea how it went that long.

But let me tell you, once it hit 1.5", maybe a little less, it started eating everything I gave and growth picked up. Now molts were coming every 45-60 days and refusal meant pre-molt. Now the one I still have is nearly 4" and probably my best NW terrestrial eater aside from the nigricolor.

Its amazing its the same t.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, really frustrating as a sling. Sometimes it would eat once between molts, which were 6 months apart and yielded no growth. Once, at just under 1/2", one of mine, the one pictured, went 177 days between meals....man it was so tiny, and never plump (the whole time as a sling) I have no idea how it went that long.

But let me tell you, once it hit 1.5", maybe a little less, it started eating everything I gave and growth picked up. Now molts were coming every 45-60 days and refusal meant pre-molt. Now the one I still have is nearly 4" and probably my best NW terrestrial eater aside from the nigricolor.

Its amazing its the same t.
That's crazy a sling will go that long between feeds, sure we all know that juveniles and adults go much longer without food but I've never had a sling go that long.

I think it's a trait with some Brachypelma in general a little like G rosea fasting because 2 of my other Brachys are or were the same my annitha or whatever it's now called is an inch and eats once every 6 months, my auratum was the same untill around 1.5" then became a monster with food

cold blood

Staff member
That's crazy a sling will go that long between feeds, sure we all know that juveniles and adults go much longer without food but I've never had a sling go that long.

I think it's a trait with some Brachypelma in general a little like G rosea fasting because 2 of my other Brachys are or were the same my annitha or whatever it's now called is an inch and eats once every 6 months, my auratum was the same untill around 1.5" then became a monster with food
Yeah, my vagans were just about the same as the albiceps, although my smithi, who is female, grew and ate at a consistent pace her whole life.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I learned the most information as a new keeper a few years ago from these forums.

Where I'm happy to see many familiar faces are still here.

The rest of your knowledge will come from your experience with your animals. You'll learn from both success and mistakes.

So go at a comfortable pace with species that apply to that comfort level.

This hobby will teach you not to rush things. Patience is key.

Welcome to a bizarre addiction.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, my vagans were just about the same as the albiceps, although my smithi, who is female, grew and ate at a consistent pace her whole life.
My smithi changes with each moult after the last 1 it's become like my albiceps unfortunately, my schroederi on the other hand consistently good when it comes to feeding. I'm just glad I have an albo to keep my faith in Brachys