Beginner suggestion for pure growth...LP

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wanted to put a note out that, while LPs are very cheap, they are AMAZING! My first LP that I've owned just molted again tonight, and seems to have DOUBLED in size...perhaps close anyways. I was absolutely shocked at this massive size increase. He was maybe 4/5 instar and has molted twice in my care, and after owning some other large Ts, I have to say I'm just stunned at the rapid growth.

In addition, it webs nothing and sits in the direct middle of his container, making him ridiculously fun and easy to view.

So...anybody that doesn't have an LP and is looking for a fix, or wants an awesome "semi-starter" T should give these guys some serious consideration. :cool:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep, i'm looking forward to their repution of having a fast growth rate too. after dealing with grammostolas and brachypelmas, watching my .25" LP sling eat cricket legs like a champ is already making me giddy about the future :D

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
yep, i'm looking forward to their repution of having a fast growth rate too. after dealing with grammostolas and brachypelmas, watching my .25" LP sling eat cricket legs like a champ is already making me giddy about the future :D
My .25 Lp's are all eating full blown crickets already. (smallest ones, I make the poor Pet store guys DIG for the smallest) They also eat mealworms, but those I kill before going in so they dont burrow.

Also, One of my lp's has started to burrow..I diddnt think they were the burrowing species? I got them a few days ago and cannot WAIt till they start molting!

EDIT: Another thread answered my burrowing Q.
Missed that part when Was researching.

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
also OP- How often and how much are you/have you been feeding them?
Just curious.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My .25 Lp's are all eating full blown crickets already. (smallest ones, I make the poor Pet store guys DIG for the smallest) They also eat mealworms, but those I kill before going in so they dont burrow.

Also, One of my lp's has started to burrow..I diddnt think they were the burrowing species? I got them a few days ago and cannot WAIt till they start molting!
yeah, i had leftover crickets from my big ones continuing fast, so i drumsticked/mangled them for my slings. i have a fair amount of certainty it could take down a 1 week if i crushed the head and that had been offered to it first.

from what i understand, most slings will burrow to some degree, regardless of their adult nature. this is not a steadfast rule, but i've seen most of my terrestrial slings do it to a degree (my smithi practically lives in a hole, hardly ever see her) and even my 1" irmina has a little underground setup, though it seems to have finally gotten the idea and moved upward... :p

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
yeah, i had leftover crickets from my big ones continuing fast, so i drumsticked/mangled them for my slings. i have a fair amount of certainty it could take down a 1 week if i crushed the head and that had been offered to it first.

from what i understand, most slings will burrow to some degree, regardless of their adult nature. this is not a steadfast rule, but i've seen most of my terrestrial slings do it to a degree (my smithi practically lives in a hole, hardly ever see her) and even my 1" irmina has a little underground setup, though it seems to have finally gotten the idea and moved upward... :p
It was funny, I saw it and was like HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THERE :eek::?

But only one has done it, about half an inch down into the sub.

Does anyone have a picture of these guys in pre-molt?
one is darker than the other but I honestly cant tell if he's pre-molting or just darker.. They all have dark spots on their bums. Does it just, Gradually darken all around or is it like *bam* black? lol. And my camera isnt good enough to get them.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
It was funny, I saw it and was like HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THERE :eek::?

But only one has done it, about half an inch down into the sub.

Does anyone have a picture of these guys in pre-molt?
one is darker than the other but I honestly cant tell if he's pre-molting or just darker.. They all have dark spots on their bums. Does it just, Gradually darken all around or is it like *bam* black? lol. And my camera isnt good enough to get them.
Pre-molt: Your T will change a dark gray all around. Cant miss it. The urticating hair patch on the "bum" will turn shiney/reflective.

Edit: Also since yours are so small that one is probably growing its first black patch of urticating hairs. I named mine spotly when it did that. LOL

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
also OP- How often and how much are you/have you been feeding them?
Just curious.
Probably 2-3 times a week is all. I keep the Ts between 70-75 degrees too, so that's just more impressive such a large sling molted within a month from the last molt.