beginner scorp question

tattoo_rebel

Arachnopeon
i know i had initiallly said i didn't want to start with a boring common begginer's species but one of my friends recently gave me a baby black emperor scorpion from the breeding he had done some months ago and it was freeee so i have some questions i'd like to ask the experts here. i have it housed in a small peanut butter jar with a 60w heat clamp facing the top lid and made some air holes for it. i'm keeping it in some potting soil not too humid but with some moisture in it. i'm wandering what else do i need to make it feel at home??suggestions and advice are welcomed

thanx:)
john

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definently make sure it is very humid, at least 80-85% and that the temperatures are in the high 70's low 80's and not too hot or he will fry. Give him a little hide, whether it be a small bent piece of cardboard (replace every few days if you do so mold wont grow)

Ed

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You better get a thermometer and check the temps!!! It wont take much of a bulb to cook your scorpion in that peanutbutter jar.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it fits comfortabley into a peanut butter jar then I would suggest moving it into something slightly larger and more convient for you. The small pet carriers are only $5 at the petshop. Also heavy humidity works really well with these scorps... Its ok if emps are your starting scorp, they usually are the best ones to start with. I still enjoy watching mine when they are being "playful."

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or steal one of your wife/mother/ (possibly your own) tupperware container. I perfer clear ones so you can see inside. I cleaned out the dollar stores supply of clear containers and I wish they had more, they have a rubber seal and are hard, dishwasher safe (wont melt in lamp rays) cups, they are unbelievable and extremely cheap.