BEGINNER: Reasons why my tarantula won't dig?

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
I'm not a person for trends unless it's a breathtaking species. I may look around in to "other" spiders rather than tarantulas. I like interesting and uncommon, if you haven't noticed. lol You can't just waltz in and buy a Pumpkin Patch dwarf in a petstore, from what I know of. Even if it is popular in the hobby.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I'm not a person for trends unless it's a breathtaking species. I may look around in to "other" spiders rather than tarantulas. I like interesting and uncommon, if you haven't noticed. lol You can't just waltz in and buy a Pumpkin Patch dwarf in a petstore, from what I know of. Even if it is popular in the hobby.
You may want to look in to trapdoor spiders. If you want a spider that's drop-dead gorgeous, check out Liphistius ornatus... they're at the tippy top of my wish list!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
haha. peacock jumping spiders are pretty awesome. They're up there as my favorite true spider next to wolf spider variations.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
What sites do you recommend I look at when purchasing a spider? Y'know, since I got mine from Craigslist - not a very good site for spider hunting AT ALL.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
And if I'm going to state my opinion, I find Liphistius malayanus very beautiful. Kind of a gothic dangerous feel to them.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
What sites do you recommend I look at when purchasing a spider? Y'know, since I got mine from Craigslist - not a very good site for spider hunting AT ALL.
Check out the vendor reviews on the forums here. I've personally ordered from Jamie's Tarantulas and Stamps Tarantulas and I would recommend both of them!

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Depends what your looking for. Kenthebugguy.com has plenty of variation in true spiders and tarantulas. I have gotten all of my T's from jamiestarantulas.com and been more then satisfied with them.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Just before you buy another T. Do your research and inquire on the forums to fill in the gaps on specific needs and care for the type that you get. It'll make life a lot easier for you.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
Just before you buy another T. Do your research and inquire on the forums to fill in the gaps on specific needs and care for the type that you get. It'll make life a lot easier for you.
As I always do. But I am far from being some-what able to buy a spider. This will be a year or two in the future, and by that time I will be forced to have knowledge about them because of my peeked interest and future job at Petco.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
If your going to be working at petco, you'll have to make sure those T's get taken care of right rather then following those idiotic care sheets petco supplies. That is if you don't want to be razzled harshly here XD give your petco a good name. They need all the help they can get in the hobby community.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
I help them a lot with their reptiles and my mom helps them a lot with their avians. That's the reason I was already hired when I was 12, they're waiting for me to turn 18 so I can take on the exotic management and take the place of our friend Sterling. My family is close to the "family" at Petco.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Those are real. I saw them for sale recently as well.

For dealers/breeders Swifts Inverts, Arachnoiden, Jamies are the 3 I've had zero problems with.

Last edited:

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
Oh, I really like this species

"Although this is a Nemesiid that does not construct a trapdoor, these are commonly sold as the Ctenizid Latouchia batuensis; a species from Malaysia that does not appear to be in the hobby. These are a member of the genus Damarchus, likely D. workmani. Nonetheless they are an absolutely stunning spider, get very large, and have amazing color and attitude. " -CodeWilster from San Francisco Bay Area Tarantula Society

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
N.incei...you won't regret it. Buy a sling, theyre relatively inexpensive, too.
I second that! I bought a bunch from CB, no regrets! One of the most interesting species I've ever owned.

They are excellent eaters, QUITE fast/nimble, and very aggressive eaters. Almost as much as Pumpkin Patch's and GBB.

And the best part, no urticating setae.

Last edited:

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
They'll be on my list for sure! Thank you all for helping em with my P.P., I really appreciate the responses and the patience!