BEGINNER: Reasons why my tarantula won't dig?

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon

:) How does this look? I made a a tunnel under the dirt for him. Do you think this will work or should I get rid of the shell? I don't have anything else small enough to fit in the tank to make a cave-like hole.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've owned a few of this locality AND its "cousin" the H. sp. Columbia Small/Klein as well. They are VERY, VERY easy to raise. They are ravenous eaters.

Based on description, there's nothing wrong with your T except that you disturbed it too much I think. They don't all burrow.

As for being skittish, I've heard that is normal with unhandled tarantulas.
This information you heard is false. Handling a tarantula is the largest disturbance you can provide it, short of it falling. Ts, are NOT like many snakes, where handling over time increases how docile they will be. So get that crap out of your head.

My room stays at a constant 85 degrees during the day and all the lights shut off at night, dropping down to 78 degrees)
I keep all of mine at 68F night/70-75F day. Mine grow FAST, yours even FASTER.

While I cannot tell the gender of yours, compared to my adult female, I'd lean that it's a male based on how leggy it is. But that's not a guarantee at all. Yours is certainly more leggy than my adult female was.

He lives in a 10 gallon, would you suggest a 5 gallon? It recommends he stay at 75-80 degree temperature, what would I use then?
I kept my adult female in a KK. You could go larger than a 5 gallon, only reason I suggest that is to increase prey/predator interactions. Just make sure the distance between sub surface and tank lid is NO MORE than 1.5x the diagonal leg span of the T.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak

:) How does this look? I made a a tunnel under the dirt for him. Do you think this will work or should I get rid of the shell? I don't have anything else small enough to fit in the tank to make a cave-like hole.
That's much better! I'd replace the shell with some cork bark and put a larger water bowl in, but aside from that it looks very suitable!

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Very creative! It would be wise to sand down any sharp edges on the shell.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

You could try that if you increase the height of the sub. See my post above.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
I don't see the shell as a problem personally. Though with cocoa fiber which is what that looks like or eco-earth as I've used, you want to pack it down some. I have 3 slings in 2x2x4in armec(sp?) boxes, G. pulchripes, B. smithi, and an L.P. that I used eco-earth. (I haven't done their 2.5 gallons yet). I allow their soil to be moist because it gets SO hot right now here and they will burrow to escape the heat. Patting down the cocoa fiber allows for them to burrow easier I think because it will hold better when they do excavate. Just be careful if you need to keep it moist which it sounds like you do, you don't seem to have a drainage layer sectioned off with a mesh screen, so you will have to watch that bottom part of the soil and make sure it doesn't get waterlogged and soggy in case it does burrow all the way down. T's float but I have a feeling they could still suffocate as it were if they were down with really wet soil where it was just soggy. Also keep an eye out for mold if you keep it moist. No drainage layer means less airation and that can lead to mold and fungus easily too. (I learned this from personal experience)

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
Oh dear, even higher in sub? I'd be afraid of him getting on the lid and have the possibility of escaping if I'm dumb one day.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh dear, even higher in sub? I'd be afraid of him getting on the lid and have the possibility of escaping if I'm dumb one day.
Then don't be "dumb". You have a reasonable concern, which is why we suggest people research Ts LONG before they get a certain species etc. This T is a nervous and very fast species relative to most in the NW. Your only luck here is that it's a dwarf, and not 6" hah.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
He's going to get on the lid regardless to substrate height. The point of substrate height is so that when he falls after getting up there, there is less distance for him to travel and thus less damage when hitting the ground.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Then don't be "dumb". You have a reasonable concern, which is why we suggest people research Ts LONG before they get a certain species etc. This T is a nervous and very fast species relative to most in the NW. Your only luck here is that it's a dwarf, and not 6" hah.
That's a good point! Haps are little escape artists, and it doesn't even take the keeper being "dumb" for one to teleport right out of its enclosure when the lid is cracked open. :eek:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a good point! Haps are little escape artists, and it doesn't even take the keeper being "dumb" for one to teleport right out of its enclosure when the lid is cracked open. :eek:
They are a bit unpredictable. Unlike Psalmos which typically go down to their hide, these Pumpkins don't always do that. In fact, I never know where mine are going to go.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
Haha! Well, guess I'm in for a challenge. I redid the enclosure. Good thing I had some mesh screen lying around from my custom lizard cages and rocks from the old Katydid enclosure. :) I found two bark slabs from my insect/snail tank just small enough to fit in

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
I just realized it was you, Viper69. I was going to find a way on tagging you in this post since I have read threads that you have experience with this species. See, dumb. HAHA!

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
It's nice to see someone ask for advice and then take it.
The only reason I did it so quickly is because I had all the supplies already here at my fingertips. I would have had the eco fiber already because that's what I used with him for a while but I used the rest of it n a rehabilitation with a lizard.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just realized it was you, Viper69. I was going to find a way on tagging you in this post since I have read threads that you have experience with this species. See, dumb. HAHA!
Thanks! Haha, yeah I do, no expert mind you. But I have convinced quite a few people to get this locality. I purchased a sling many years ago when they were brand new in the USA. I couldn't resist the idea of a sling w/adult colors and small size. I've always owned them ever since.

ShellessTime

Arachnopeon
So would you all say it would be appropriate for me to move him now or should I wait until the enclosure settles?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So would you all say it would be appropriate for me to move him now or should I wait until the enclosure settles?
I'd transfer him/her. Likely will be on the vertical like many Ts, but may surprise us and take to a corner rather quickly. Ts don't like to be out in the open, too much risk of getting eaten.