Beginner Questions

cerda17

Arachnopeon
Hello. I am new here so please forgive me if this has already been asked. I am interested in getting my first centipede.

I was wondering if someone can recommend me a starter species. I was thinking of a Scolopendra subspinipes, or related species. My question is whether or not I should keep it in a 10-gallon tank (20"x10"x12"), or a tall Rubbermaid.

The Questions
1 - Have I chosen the right species for a beginner, or should I reconsider?
2 - For those of you that own this species, when you open up the lid, is it common that the 'pede will try to escape, or will it stay on the ground?
3 - Are 'pedes able to chew or climb silicone?
4 - Are they able to chew threw a screen lid?

Thank you,
cerda17

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is no actual standard starter Centipede species. The 10 gallon would be fine for a Subspinipes. Keep in mind that the supspinipes bite is the most painful of most pedes. The Scolopendra Heros variant bite is not as potent. THe centipede shouldnt be able to climb to the top if u have 2-3 inches of substrate.

cerda17

Arachnopeon
Thanks very much for the reply.

I will certainly consider the S. Heros as my first 'pede. They seem to be smaller in size which is somewhat a plus, because with about 2 inches or substrate, they shouldn't be able to climb to the top of the tank.

Thanks again,
cerda17

cerda17

Arachnopeon
I have a few more questions.

The Questions (cont'd)
5 - How long to 'pedes generally live?
6 - Does it really matter if it is CB, or WC? It seems most are WC.

Thanks,
cerda17

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Centipedes mostly can live 5-7 years. I havent had any die on me yet. Most are WC. CB babies of the Scolopendra Heros genus are very delicate and the mortality ratio is very high.

cerda17

Arachnopeon
So it would be better to get a subadult to adult 'pede. That seems to be reasonable.

I will also try to get a S. Heros, but I guess that most species will be appropriate as long I take precautions of it escaping (I won't be handling it). As long as it isn't VERY aggressive and active.

So I guess here is what I am looking for:
-active centipede
-3"+
-CB or WC

Now if only I can find someone in Canada, or Ottawa (even better) that has what I am looking for.

Thanks,
cerda17

Last edited:

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alonso99
THe centipede shouldnt be able to climb to the top if u have 2-3 inches of substrate.
The keyword is shouldn't, but it most certainly still can climb out. The centipede can climb the glue that holds the glass into place at every corner. My subspinipes has escaped on me twice via this. Use a screen lid to prevent this.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes he did mention he had the screenlid, avoid plexi glass as Albino said.

cerda17

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I do have a screen lid. It also has a knob that will lock the screen down. It is made of glass, and not Plexi-Glass, so that should be fine.

Thanks again,
cerda17

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by cerda17
Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I do have a screen lid. It also has a knob that will lock the screen down. It is made of glass, and not Plexi-Glass, so that should be fine.

Thanks again,
cerda17
I go one step further and double contain the pede, if it escapes from one container it will be contained in the larger container, make sense? I have a s. polymorpha as my first pede, I rarely see it as it stays hidden in its extensive burrow in a large kritter keeper, as a matter of fact I had not seen it for 4 weeks or so and there was an uneaten cricket in its enclosure so I started dumping the substrate out to find a very unhappy larger pede.
BTW, it is about 5.5" now, anyone know adult size for these guys?
Ed

Last edited:

cerda17

Arachnopeon
Good suggestion Ed, will certainly take it into consideration.

Thanks,
cerda17

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently sent MrInternet an adult female polymorpha that just broke the 6" mark. I suspect that she may have been pretty big by polymorpha standards though.

Atrax

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
S. polymorpha

I believe ther has been Scolopendra polymorpha specimens recorded near 7", but that is pretty much the absolute largest.

Alex S.